Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 16 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a portrait of my brother's dog.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Just general feedback. Lay it on thick, everyone else in my life just tells me I'm very good. I need some criticism :)

KaRamirez
10-15-2016, 01:42 AM
I like the brushwork quite a bit. The only real commentary is that I find the palette a bit muted, but that's more personal preference then anything.

kin3
10-15-2016, 11:37 AM
I love the expression. I would title it "Busted". He looks like he just got caught eating the flower or something.

My son has two of that breed and this just captures them.

Thanks for sharing.

melindaxyz
10-15-2016, 10:21 PM
I love this piece. The pug is fantastic. The negative space of the white table makes me want to see something supporting the pug more. Although if it were my piece I would be afraid to touch it at this point. Love the expression.

LibbyG
10-15-2016, 11:56 PM
The dog is nicely done. The background is gorgeous, with its subtle changes of color. Then the white foreground surface looks a bit unfinished next to the upper background. Perhaps intensify the shadows a bit and bring in some very subtle reflections of color down onto the white. Unless that surface is very matter, it would pick up some reddish tones from the rose (nicely done) and some darker tones, maybe a deep purple from the feet.

The eye looks a bit light to me. That may be how this dog looks. Maybe also add a bit more shine of reflection in the eye.

Overall, it is a very pleasing portrait. I'll bet your brother is blown away.

~JMW~
10-16-2016, 12:32 AM
I know they have short shiny fur, but might be too smooth, almost an outlined look in places. Most noticeable against the red background areas..
The eye seems to be looking off to the side, I think it is the dark spot making me think that..
I feel the rose & the dog need more shadowing under them, to anchor them more..
do you have a ref for this, we can give better suggestions if we see it..

t1barkode
10-16-2016, 10:29 AM
Yes I still have the reference, here it is. Thank you guys for your comments.

~JMW~
10-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Your painting matches up nicely.
You might compare the eye and around the eye.
Shadowing & reflected light..

KolinskyRed
10-16-2016, 04:24 PM
Hello, I'm a huge dog lover and enjoy making dog portraits ~ so far in pencil and charcoal. I really like your painting, and would ask if you think the posted image matches the original? I ask as perhaps in the original you can see more going on under the dog and the rose? If so, then that's okay cause the white ground is a nice touch. The only thing I can see is that the line between the white floor and the richly done wall is very crisp. It is such a minor thing really, if you can't easily make it a softer edge, then no worries. The fur and the modelling of form on the dog is very well done. It's a great portrait! Cheers

t1barkode
10-16-2016, 09:16 PM
I will admit that I wanted to put in the darks that you see in the bottom left of the reference photo, but went ahead and hurried up finishing the painting. Sometimes I get a bit excited and just want to finish lol.

BeckyKidus
10-17-2016, 03:31 AM
I would make the dogs shadow a bit darker and take a look at the eye and the white carpet. Compare the carpet to your reference photo.

But these are only small things, and it's a great portrait!