PDA

View Full Version : Alberta CAT Truck

Avisaro
10-14-2016, 02:46 PM
These things are marvelous machines. Over 3,300 horsepower with two V-12 engines. Designed by consulting race car engineers about performance characteristics. Capable of over 40 mph with 400 tons of ore loaded; over a million pounds empty. Massive hydraulic systems for steering, transmission, suspension, brakes, and hoisting. And yet many are driven by Canadian women who never drove anything larger than a station wagon before them. One forgets how large they are during the long 12 hour day...until riding a pickup truck that has to share the haul roads with them!

L Skylar Brown
10-14-2016, 03:27 PM
This is awsome. This is where Geo.Lucas got his ideas for those huge machines in Star Wars. I'm sure.

Avisaro
10-14-2016, 07:11 PM
thank you! What was interesting to me about this one was working with the neutral grey color you can still see under the straight band of color. One of my favorite illustrators from when I was a kid always seemed to use a grey pallet. In this case barely touching that grey with pastel color and then putting large contrast into the subject gave me daylight effects that just leapt out! Unexpected working with grey for sure.

L Skylar Brown
10-14-2016, 07:48 PM
Yes, a solid grey undercoat can do half the work for you. I had a teacher in college, who was an advocate of that style. I find that I choose a darker tone from the subjects as a starter.

Avisaro
10-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Totally! I have also found the dark grey to be a great way to find the shape and then put the light areas on top of it until my eye can see the subject. At that point so much sketching is eliminated because the eye is just following light highlights on dark shape. One gets the feeling it is drawing itself...then a layer of digital watercolor.

arl
10-15-2016, 04:09 AM
Wonderful work. I love the dust stirred up in the first painting.

LavenderFrost
10-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Excellent work.

jow104
10-17-2016, 06:39 AM
Interesting subjects, and very professional paintings and your skill shows.

b'anna
10-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Fantastic stuff!