PDA

View Full Version : Bold Peacock

GoldenG_2016
10-14-2016, 02:56 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-14-2016/1990452_20160805_154453.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Bold Peacock
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 17.75 x 24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Looking for critique on my first acrylic painting. This was done in 3 hours and I have chosen to make it very bold and with lots of blended color. I wanted it to grab the eye and make you feel happy when seeing this magnificent bold peacock.
Planning on making a wall of birds, to include snowy white owl, flamingo, American Bald Eagle. Just to name a few.
I did use a reference picture form the inte<br>et to get the overall shape and some color ideas. But I painted it all without sketching just free hand.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How does this painting make you feel? Does the use of colors make sense? And would this piece be a gallery worthy painting?
How does this painting look overall, does it have merit of an artist ?

Tom Brown
10-14-2016, 04:03 PM
I don't believe anyone in the history of the world has produced a gallery worthy painting on their first attempt. It takes a while. Keep going.

La_
10-14-2016, 04:12 PM
good beginning work, but you've made a fairly serious beginner mistake, which makes this not gallery worthy, by having his beak kiss the edge of the canvas. framing will cover at least a 1/4 inch of edge so Always leave room for that, plus a bit more for breath space - even if you never plan to frame it.

welcome to WC! i'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your series develop.

la

GoldenG_2016
10-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Tom brown thanks for the comment, I think what I was thinking was am I on the right track with my style and I get it lol my first painting is more of a personal piece that I'll keep for years as a part of my home decor. But I am hoping that I can produce some gallery worthy pieces in the near future.
LA thanks for the comment also I appreciate your constructive criticism I didn't consider the painting to be framed but I'll keep that in mind for future paintings. I am glad to have joined this forum and thanks again for the welcome 😊

~JMW~
10-14-2016, 10:05 PM
I think with animals & people you almost need to sketch it out , or use a grid to get position and body shape correct..
It feels like the bird is not built correctly..?
head too large, body too small, legs set in wrong??
It's been awhile since I've seen a peacock...
here is a mix of images.. https://www.google.com/search?q=Peacock&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhkrXJztvPAhUCrlQKHazJCU4Q_AUICCgB&biw=1351&bih=620

Nothing wrong with a redo if you decide to try again, I have repainted over many of my early ones..while learning, and still do it LOL

GoldenG_2016
10-16-2016, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out and I can appreciate your thoughts on it but for the look I was going for I really like it, a young bold colored Peacock, I'll probably do a little more on it but I got to give it some thought on what to do to make it better. 😊