PDA

View Full Version : tools for detail

Sgt.
10-10-2016, 06:39 AM
experimented a little with some oil pastels and what tool to use for fine details because the pastels were large round and didn't have tips. I sharpened them but wasted a bit of the stick. tried small tortilon, Q-tip, and ended up using edge of palette knife.

tuscanny
10-11-2016, 12:11 AM
Hi Sgt. Welcome to oil pastels! There are a few things you can do for detail.
I try and work my ops to a sharp edge when doing larger surfaces to have an edge for details later.
Oil based cp are great for shading and detail. Dermatograph markers are life savers!
A shaper or even a wooden peg, a homemade tortillion all help me to get sharp edges and detail. For very fine details you could use a toothpick!
Looking forward to seeing your artwork!

Hipkit
10-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Christel, I did a search for dermatographic markers on both Amazon and Ebay UK and can't find any. Do you know of a UK seller? Thanks.
Sgt. I sometimes rub the point of a small tortillion against a pastel, then use the tortillion as a kind of pencil for the details, such as the outline of a cat's eyes. I also bought some scraper tools to scratch fur detail and whiskers into the oil pastel, which works, up to a point (pun unintended).
I've accepted that photo-realism isn't really possible with oil pastel, but they're still lots of fun.

tuscanny
10-17-2016, 11:56 PM
Hipkit - Sorry I can't help out with a UK seller. Here we also know them as china markers and are available in news agencies(when available). They are like a thick oil based cp wrapped in paper which can be torn off in spirals(?). Hoe this helps you.

fariyangel50
05-20-2017, 11:56 AM
what about these pencil
http://www.dickblick.com/products/stabilo-all-colored-marking-pencils/s?
I heard Walnut Hollow pencils will work as well....

fariyangel50
05-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Found a link about Walnut Hollow pencils
http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com/walnut-hollow.html

Ratchet
05-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Christel
Are the Dermatographic akin to Grease Pencils? The grease pencils that carpenters use unwrap with a string also.

I try not to use anything except oil pastels but when I am in danger of losing a line, I mark it in with Marco Renoir colored pencil. There are 72 colors and are oil based, easily blended in if I want to get rid of a line. But the pencils are not as heavy as a grease pencil.

terriks
05-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Hi all - I'm new here, to WC and in particular to oil pastels! I have quickly discovered the challenge of getting detail work done using them.

Where my training has been and what I'm used to is working with photo oils (such as Marshall's) and photo oil pencils. I've been a hand coloring artist for over a decade, using these tools with B&W photos.

It didn't occur to me to try using the photo oil pencils for detail with the oil pastels - but now I'm thinking, why not? I am very comfortable with them, and I can assure anyone who might be interested in trying them that they are easy to use. They are made to use over photographs so they do go on lightly, but are easily layered. Also, they lift off with just a kneaded eraser so it's easy to correct mistakes.

I have a beautiful set of Prismacolor wax pencils that I was thinking I'd use, but they are hard to lift off so they've not seen a lot of action from me when doing classic hand coloring. The Marshall's photo oil pencils are more limited with colors, though.

Glad I happened across this thread - thanks! :)

tuscanny
05-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Angela - those Walnut hollow pencils sound great.
Ratchet - Grease pencils sound right. I got to know the markers in a laboratory marking glassware. The colors available are white, blue, green, yellow, red and black.
Terriks - those photo oils sound great too. Would like to see how you apply them in your art.

JenieJo
06-06-2018, 06:51 PM
I've only just started using OPs and dug out some old pottery tools, carving and blending is working for me ATM