GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Let's Save the Night
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 9
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This was a bit ambitious for me, in that I tried (and by the looks of it, failed) at rendering the fur of the wolf depicted in the painting. I hate how this looks, despite the fact I like the concept.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How can I render textures more convincingly (particularly fur or hair)? As well as this, how can I generally refine this piece, make it look cleaner and more solid? More or less just how I can make my future paintings look less terrible.

t1barkode
10-09-2016, 11:16 AM
I have found in my experience that it is all about values. Rather than actually trying to paint the fur, just look at ur reference and just try to get all the values correct and the fur will just "appear". Unless you are going for a style that isnt so loose. How to make your paintings appear less terrible to yourself? I have no idea about that because I believe we are all very hard on ourselves when it comes to our art. A piece is never complete, it is only abandoned...something Da Vinci said, something like that anyways.

La_
10-09-2016, 12:31 PM
aww, it's soft and cute and adorable for a child's room, and it's a cat (short nose/muzzle), not a wolf (long nose/muzzle).

i'm betting you painting this all in one sitting [one day]. a note about oils - they Love to be layered, which means you have to paint a layer, let it dry, paint another layer, let it dry, and again and again until you get what you want. it's Very hard to get good value (strong strength of color) detail when working wet on wet. you will Never get true dark to stick on top of wet white.
with that in mind, do another and paint the darks first [the undercoat of the 'wolf'], let it dry, then paint the light guard hairs on top.
once this 'kitty' paint dries, you Could paint in some dark hairs between the lights.

la

Savagei
10-09-2016, 02:14 PM
Thank you very much for the helpful responses, guys.

T1barkode: Yes, looking back the values could use a bit of work. As for the other matter, I've been told by many I am hard on myself about my work (as many of us are), but man it gets discouraging to never produce anything you really like (the execution of, anyway.) Oh well. Thank you for your response.

La:I see what you mean, the snout was actually longer originally but I must've painted over it. It is in fact intended to be a wolf as I said, but I do agree, it does look like a cat now you mention it. Thank you for the advice, I'm thinking of possibly starting this one again from scratch.