PDA

View Full Version : beach and rocks

DavidOToole
10-08-2016, 01:50 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-08-2016/1975663_beach-rocks-1a.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: beach and rocks
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I became interested in stormy oceans again after hearing about Hurricane Matthew and made this piece with a grassy/brushy beach having unexpected waves crash over the rocks. The main medium is acrylic paint, plus some strokes of colored pencil to enliven the grassy area. The scene is slightly overcast to indicate a coming storm.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm not quite happy with the composition; there's not a lot happening in the left ocean area, and i think adding some interest / lightening up the meadow in the upper right could do the painting some good.

NOTE: The resizing seems to have caused some Moire effects with the canvas weave; i've got a larger version of the image at https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/30158615556/in/dateposted-public/

La_
10-09-2016, 03:15 PM
any reference image used?

there seems to be some issues in perspective ... i Think the right side is quite a high cliff in spots, but i really cannot tell for sure which of the darker green bits in the vertical centre are low or high - typically one sees larger items in the foreground and smaller and smaller items receding into the distance - you have a contradiction to that with the largest rock(?) being the farthest away so it forces you to work that illusion into believability (with values/edge details). add that to the cliff, seemingly trying to follow the 'normal' rule - accentuates the challenge of working that mid vertical range correctly. ...

the waves crashing into shore appear to wander uphill along the shoreline, which is odd ... some perspective work (shrink with distance) would help this.

the farthest distant water Should be flat to show the distance and to separate it from the distant mountains ...

values - color value [lightest light to darkest dark] gives huge control of the illusion of 3d on a 2d surface ...

soft vs sharp edged details are 2nd in line of controlling the illusion - both [value and edges] could be worked considerably in the piece if you want to bring it up a level in clarity and reality. warm and cool color also plays a part in it - cool colors recede and warm colors come forward.

hope that helps a bit, there's cool piece potential in it for sure

la

DavidOToole
10-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Hello! No, i sort of just imagined the scene instead of using a reference image, and yes things became unclear. I did do this sketch beforehand: http://imgur.com/Ne9fS0I

I think I should redo this scene on a new canvas, but rearrange the composition so that rocks so that the larger ones are in the foreground, and arrange them a bit better. then I should carefully control and decide what happens on the beach and make sure it doesn't look like a cliff. a lower placed "camera" perspective might help here.

Thanks so much for your comments, and I will do my best!

La_
10-10-2016, 01:45 AM
ha, funny how things deviate from original brilliance - the sketch is fantastic

la

DavidOToole
10-10-2016, 09:36 AM
I'll have to work harder :)

Tom Brown
10-10-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm with La, on this one. The sketch is very nice.