PDA

View Full Version : Hand bound journal

TranscendTopiary
10-06-2016, 05:20 PM
Just finished up a hand bound journal.
Hand dyed paper, hand drawn embellishments on top signature pages,hand made end pages (i didn't make the end paper) mix of kettle stich and medieval binding techniques, top and bottom end bands to protect the pages when being pulled off a shelf, embossed gold edges, and hand dyed pig skin leather cover.

FGLoftin
10-07-2016, 10:12 AM
Beautiful work! I've always been interested in bookbinding, or actually, restoration. I make my own simple little journals now, but quite a long time ago, I learned to do leather bindings, in the old style with banded spines and gold leaf. Back then there was a never ending supply of old library books from the 1800's that were missing their bindings, and I just had to buy every one I found. This was before the internet, and book binding truly was a lost art. I found one ancient book on hand binding, and learned from that. I gave it up eventually, due to an allergy to mold and lack of talent. Still make my own journals though, and enjoy seeing what others are doing. Love the hand tinted pages.
-Floyd

TranscendTopiary
10-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Thanks! I really enjoy it. Sorry to hear your allergy has stopped you from restoring books. I don't think id ever get into that but never thought about the mold issue with it

eyepaint
10-08-2016, 11:51 AM
So so pretty! I'm drawn to the cover of purple one, 3rd from bottom left.

TranscendTopiary
10-09-2016, 11:59 AM
That one turned out my favorite too. I used alcohol ink with hand sanitizer because i ran out of rubbing alcohol. The gel consistency gave the ink a wave pattern when i pulled the paper off of it

eyepaint
10-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Oooh marvelous and thank you for the explanation of "behind the scenes" :)

TranscendTopiary
10-09-2016, 09:16 PM
My pleasure, it was a complete surprise to me and created a lovely effect

Munin Raven
10-14-2016, 10:45 AM
Superb. It just begs to be filled. I would love to see more.

KreativeK
10-17-2016, 10:55 AM
This is really outstanding! Love it.

creamandblueberries
10-18-2016, 12:06 PM
so beautiful! i would love to see what you fill these with, i feel like they're amazing even without anything in them though :) i love the look of hand-dyed paper, they give such a good texture and beginning surface instead of the usual (kind of daunting) stark white!

Joan T
10-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Looks beautiful!!!

TBrender
10-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Beautiful, thanks for sharing! You are talented to be sure :)