PDA

View Full Version : So.Cal Fires- Hope you WCer's are ok.

lisilk
10-25-2003, 10:55 PM
There are some horrific fires going on in Southern Cal. right now, over 400 homes lost. Hope all of you living there are safe. Praying for the winds to slow down. Check in when you can.

Cheers,

Li

Rose Queen
10-25-2003, 11:02 PM
The air's a little stinky and there's been a bit of ash settling around, but so far, so good. They seem to have beaten it back to the mountains, but I don't see them containing it any time soon. :crying:

lisilk
10-26-2003, 01:20 AM
Rose Queen,

Glad you are safe so far. Err on the side of caution and take care. :angel:

My cousin Dan lives in Crestline. It's looking bad for them. There is a lot of fuel there. He's been told to evacuate.

Sending positive thoughts to all of you. Very, very tragic that most of them are arson fires. They think the Crestline fires was started by two teenagers as " a joke."

Li

gnu
10-26-2003, 02:48 AM
terrible new..Rose, please be very careful...I'm sure caution is the best..I really pray for your safety..
to anyone else..too please be careful..

billyg
10-26-2003, 03:09 AM
Take care you guys.
Billyg. :cat:

CoolArtiste
10-26-2003, 04:34 AM
We have several big fires every year in southern california in areas that are hilly, remote, and have a lot of dry plants. This seems like the worst set of fires ever, but I could be wrong. It's just a feeling I get. I'm glad I don't live in one of those fire-prone areas.

animal
10-26-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Rose Queen
The air's a little stinky and there's been a bit of ash settling around, but so far, so good. They seem to have beaten it back to the mountains, but I don't see them containing it any time soon. :crying:

Stay Alert and stay safe Rose. Hope you guys get some rain there soon.;)

Eugene Veszely
10-26-2003, 11:17 AM
Stay well !!

I hope the weather helps out !!

Rose Queen
10-26-2003, 11:37 AM
Aw, you guys are the best! Thanks for the good wishes, but I don't think I'm in any danger. I could see the fires from the window last night and it smells very smoky in my neighborhood this morning. A lot of homes closer to the fires have been lost and two people have died so far. CoolArtiste is right that this is just one of the things we have to put up with in California every year about this time and, sadly, most of them are arson fires. There's no hope of rain anytime soon that I've heard of. :crying:

pampe
10-26-2003, 02:11 PM
After a Summer of smoke and flames, I know how awful it can be...please take care!!!!

paintergirl
10-27-2003, 08:33 AM
I have been watching this on the news here as well...hope everyone is out of harms way ...

Eugene Veszely
10-27-2003, 09:07 AM
I read that 13 people have died so far :crying: :crying:

CoolArtiste
10-27-2003, 09:56 AM
So far 300,000 acres and 800 homes burned.

paintergirl
10-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 1chameleon
I read that 13 people have died so far :crying: :crying:

:(

stalksthedawn
10-27-2003, 02:10 PM
Take care and stay safe. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by these fires.

coyote
10-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by CoolArtiste
We have several big fires every year in southern california in areas that are hilly, remote, and have a lot of dry plants. This seems like the worst set of fires ever, but I could be wrong. It's just a feeling I get. I'm glad I don't live in one of those fire-prone areas.

I'm afraid I do live in one of those fire-prone areas:eek: But we had ours last year. What scares me is that if a fire starts in my immediate area, there won't be any crews available to fight it.
My heart goes out to all who have lost their homes. It's really frightening to watch that monster coming at you and feel powerless to stop it.

coyote
10-27-2003, 03:15 PM
I just took this out my office window...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2003/6561-smoke.jpg

CoolArtiste
10-27-2003, 07:46 PM
I live about 20 miles east of Simi Valley, where one of the big fires is. I just took a picture of the western sky. It's full of smoke. I'm in no danger though.

Cathie Jones
10-27-2003, 09:49 PM
I don't think there are any WCers in the direct line of fires. It was pretty bad in Crestline today, Li. I hope your cousin obeyed and evacuated. They're evacuating Lake Arrowhead now. This particular fire line extends about 40 miles. I can see it, too, on "my" side of the mountains, but it's just some hot spots on this side.

Li, here's a web site for the "Old" fire, which is the one threatening Crestline. http://www.incidentcontrol.com/old/index.html You can keep an eye on the evacuations there.

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone. The fires are expected to burn for about another week, so keep sending the good vibes for those who are in the path . . . I know I will.:(

lisilk
10-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Good to hear everyone is staying safe. It's looking to be one of the worst series of fire we've seen, I fear.

Totals so far are over 400,000 acres, 1100 homes, and 18 lives lost.

Todd, we also had our scare last year when a huge brush fire came within 1/8 mile of our tiny town ( and my sister's house- 1/2 mile from ours.) It's a very helpless feeling to see the monster slowly approaching and know it's really in fate's hands....that and those amazingly relentless fire fighters. :angel:

Cathy, thanks for the Crestline info. We have heard from my counsin. He and his neighbors left last night and are staying in Ventura. Won't know if his house made it or not for a while.

My other counsin Cathy ( his sister) lives in Ramona and well..... it's called the " Ramona Fire." Keep your fingers crossed.

Pray for rain !!!!!! No lightening !

Cheers,

Li

coyote
10-27-2003, 11:23 PM
I guess this is old news, but here are pictures from last year's Copper Fire...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45888

arlene
10-28-2003, 12:50 AM
I'll keep saying my prayers...how scary.

gnu
10-28-2003, 02:10 AM
ooooh Coyote..that is very scary!!! not a pic you want to be taking .....
I too heard about the deaths..that's awful.....:(

lisilk
10-28-2003, 07:41 AM
The Simi Valley fire is looking gnarly. Stay safe. Hope the squirrely Santa Anna winds are in your favor !

Li

Wingnut
10-29-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by coyote
I just took this out my office window...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2003/6561-smoke.jpg

Hay! that looks like a view of Boulder, CO right now! :( and we just sent all our planes and stuff off to California yesterday. No where near my place, but I sure hope it snows tonite like its supposed to :( if not...

Hope everyone is safe! :( please be careful!

madmum
10-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Saw some pictures on the news tonight, terrifying :(

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Ruth

lisilk
10-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Yes, the news has been 24 hour fire coverage.

Over 600, 000 acres burned

Almost 2000 homes

And sadly 18 lives lost.

Sure hope they catch the *******s that started the fires !

From what we can tell, my cousins house is probably gone. :crying: Fortunately he is fine.

Wingnut- our fire crews are so spent, we really appreciate the help coming from other states ! :angel: Will pray you get your snow.

Li

Wingnut
10-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Hay Li! :) keep the firefighters we sent - its snowing here!!!

What a difference a day makes :rolleyes: now we have to worry about icy roads instead! Our fires aren't out, but close enough for now. I sure hope you guys get can get more rain and less wind soon. I grew up in CA, in the wind and with the fires, but can't even imagine what its like there right now :( I just keep hoping that people can let go of their "stuff" and remember that lives are so much more important in the end!

Bendaini
10-30-2003, 11:08 PM
My sis in law lives in San Diego. She said she was evacuated for a day and when she got home her house was filled with smoke, and there is no airing it out till the fires are gone.

At least she got to go home.

A friend at church has relitives down there also and she sent her some pictures. Now those were interesting...

I remember a few years back when we were driving home after a visit (home being ND and visit being to CA) there was a huge fire along the roads we were using to get to the coast. Smoke filled the valley and I had a very hard time breathing for about 20 minutes till we broke into the ocean breeze. (My lungs never could take any form of smoke well). It wasn't very comfortable at all.

I do say that as bad as this fire has been with as few casualties as they have had it is verging on miraculouse. It could have been much worse. Homes can be replaced, new memories made, lives are the important things.

I do wonder about the things the fire is burning though. I heard it was burning a bunch of things causing some seriouse polution, like all the plastic in a land fill, and tires stored in some place. That makes it even worse then a regular wild fire because the smoke is more toxic then usual.

I will keep praying though...

paintergirl
10-31-2003, 08:55 AM
Some of the stats :
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/31/california.wildfire/index.html

FIRE BY THE NUMBERS
729,000 acres in 5 counties

2,600 homes destroyed

20 deaths, including firefighter

100,000 people displaced

$2 billion in damage

14,000 firefighters

Cedar fire worst in state history

272,000 acres Cedar fire alone

14 deaths in Cedar fire alone

Hoping all of you take care and are able to stay out of harms way. You are all in my thoughts and prayers...

Eugene Veszely
10-31-2003, 08:58 AM
WOW :( :(

lisilk
10-31-2003, 09:48 PM
It's over 2800 homes lost now and in some areas they still aren't allowing anyone back in so is probably higher.

But today some good news.

IT'S RAINING !!!!! Two of the biggest fires are now undercontrol. It looks like they are finally getting a break. :angel:

Li

paintergirl
10-31-2003, 10:08 PM
Excellent news Li...sorry to hear there was 200 more homes lost today. I hope no more lives were lost...

lisilk
11-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by paintergirl
Excellent news Li...sorry to hear there was 200 more homes lost today. I hope no more lives were lost...

Julie, I stand corrected, it is 3,800 homes now. I guess they are able to tell more now they are getting back into those areas. ( That's all the four main fires combined.) So sad but really quite a miracle that more people weren't lost.

Thanks to all the states and our Canadian friends for all the fire fighters and equipment send our way.

Cheers,

Li

Chuck Levitin
11-01-2003, 02:55 AM
I live near the origin of the Cedar fire. We were one of the first areas to be burnt. Four houses on my street were destroyed. My house survived unscathed, thanks to our agressive program of keeping any plants that can burn far away from the house. I've attached some pictures. The first is the house directly across the street from mine. Their backyard was the slope of a canyon covered with chapparal that came up to their back fence. The second is a house just East of mine still burning hours after the fire passed by. It too, had an overgrown yard. The last is a picture of the noon sun taken without a filter -- just pointed the camera at it -- to show how thick the smoke was.

lisilk
11-01-2003, 03:04 AM
Chuck,

I'm so happy for you that you are healthy and your home was saved. :clap: :clap:

Pretty scary to see it moving toward your house. So sad for your neighbors. Hope they are all ok.

Thank you for sharing your pictures. You are a lucky man. :angel:

Cheers,

Li

paintergirl
11-01-2003, 09:54 AM
Whew Chuck...that was so close. I am so glad you and your family and home came out of this okay.
Very sorry for your neighbors to have to go through this.

3800 Li? :(

Eugene Veszely
11-01-2003, 11:05 AM
WOW again :eek:

I hope that rain stays for a bit :)