PDA

View Full Version : The Spotlight - October 2016 - Golden Hour

DAK723
09-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Welcome artists!

Here is a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!

The Spotlight is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere.

And, remember, no critiques unless specifically asked for.

The intent is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos this month were taken by me or are from the Reference Image Library. You have permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you cannot copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within "The Spotlight" thread.

This month’s Spotlight is on...The Golden Hour!

Over the past two months we have put the Spotlight on Sunsets (and an occasional sunrise)! So I thought this month, we’d turn things around – instead of looking towards the sun, we’d look at the effects of the sunlight when the sun is low in the sky. Photographers often call the time just after sunrise and just before sunset, the Golden Hour! It’s often a wonderful time to take photos, as the atmosphere is filled with the warmer, golden light from the low in the atmosphere sun! Of course, the light isn’t always golden, nor is there an hour time limit, but…well, you get the idea!

The time just before sunrise, or just after sunset can be a really nice time for photos, too! I don’t know if that period of time has its own name or not, but I'll include that time as part of the Golden Hour as well!

One thing that took me a long time to learn about as an artist, was taking into account the color of the light. I tended to paint everything with its “local color’ – the color that it would have with neutral light, such as on an overcast day. There’s nothing wrong with painting with local color – more paintings in history were done that way for many generations - but when painters began painting out of doors – as the impressionists did – they began to see the effects of the color of the light. And the color of the light is perhaps most noticeable during the Golden Hour!

A few years back, we did an entire Spotlight on the Color of Light, and here is one example that shows how the low, setting sun – when it is quite yellow or even orange (or red) – can influence the colors of everything that it shines on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2016/82335-compare-gh.JPG

On the left is a photo taken during midday, on the right a photo taken during the Golden Hour! Notice how every color in the sunlight is “shifted” more towards yellow and orange. Even the white car is orange, as are the “green” trees in the background! Since everything is affected, our brains still know that the car is white.

Of course, as mentioned earlier, Golden Hour isn’t always golden, it depends on the color of the light! And once that sun goes down (or just before it rises) then the atmosphere is affected by whatever colors are predominant in the sky. So lots of photos taken during those times can have nice soft blues, violets, magentas, and some orange, too!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2016/82335-IMG_1876_1.JPG

So let’s explore those times around sunrise or sunset, when the influence of the color of the light can be most interesting! Let’s put the Spotlight on the Golden Hour!

References: (all photos by me)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2016/82335-IMG_0959.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2016/82335-IMG_4584_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2016/82335-IMG_8907_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2016/82335-CRW_3126_1_1_1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2016/82335-IMG_1678rev_1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2016/82335-CRW_3141_1_1.jpg

Feel free to use your own Golden Hour photos! And, of course, feel free to modify these references any way you wish!

And have fun!

Don

CaliAnn
10-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the wonderful pictures Don. I was so inspired, that I"m gonna start us off. NuPastels on Canson 9 x 12 -(went a bit color happy :)

cc welcome

DAK723
10-01-2016, 05:11 PM
Wow, CaliAnn - thanks for getting us started with this wonderful, colorful painting!

Don

CaliAnn
10-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Thanks Don - it's a procrastination painting, I was supposed to be cleaning the office and kept finding other things to do instead LOL :)

Still-trying
10-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Love this idea Don. Lovely references. I have some that I would like to do.

CaliAnn, charming painting. I love those white stems you made in the background. All very nice.

CaliAnn
10-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jay!

Judibelle
10-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Great photos, Don! Will try to keep up this month...

Very nice start to the thread, CaliAnn... well done!

Dea
10-02-2016, 10:05 PM
ooh my favourite light.
I will definitely be joining in on this one, thanks Don.
CaliAnn, Procrastination? No, it's a warm up. The office will still be there later :)

CaliAnn
10-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Thanks Judi and Deanna - ps - office is STILL not done LOL!

Still-trying
10-03-2016, 01:21 PM
Not finished. ALL COMMENTS WELCOME. 9 x 12 on Uart 400. Watercolor background and mostly Art Spectrum pastels. Some Terry Ludwig "grays".

I hope I showed orange light, mostly.

CaliAnn
10-03-2016, 02:29 PM
Jay - that is gorgeous! I think you got the orange just right! :)

Well, another procrastination painting for me (supposed to be doing something else other than painting). I'm on a color kick lately and using colors I would never use before. NuPastels on Canson mt (black paper which I've been playing around with lately). all cc welcome

Still-trying
10-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Oooooo, CaliAnn! Moody! I like that! I like everything about it but especially the way the trees seem to glow on the distant bank. If I were you, I would not touch this at all. Only frame. Beautiful.

Thank you for you comments. I have to work on the near wave, especially the foam.

Divasin
10-03-2016, 02:50 PM
The golden hour is a subject close to my heart..great idea!
I often sit in my garden this time of year ( with my glass of wine) and watch the light effects as the sun lowers and alters the light and textures......
so I guess it's time to put down the glass and get out the pastels!

Well done CaliAnn and Jay.. you're opening up the possibilities!

Still-trying
10-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks Leslie. I have to make that wave look better, especially on the left. But not for a few days. Maybe a vision will enter my brain! I'm studying waves and foam.

Come paint! It's fun to ignore chores and do paintings!!!

CaliAnn
10-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Thanks Leslie and Jay.

Come paint! It's fun to ignore chores and do paintings!!! All I can say about that is - thank goodness my office has a door that closes!!!!! LOL

DAK723
10-04-2016, 02:37 PM
CaliAnn, Very lovely painting! I, too find those far shoe trees fantastic! Such intense color, too!

Don

Judibelle
10-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Jay...I love the way you used the colors in this...very nice!

CaliAnn....I agree with Jay....the trees really stand out beautifully. Well done!

CaliAnn
10-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Don & JudiB - thank you for your kind words

Still-trying
10-06-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks JudiBelle. I used that box of greys that Terry Ludwig sells and the little pack of super soft very light tints from Art Spectrum. I find that set from A S very very useful for skies.

Divasin
10-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Now that the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday is behind me back to the painting!

One of Don's great pics....
I altered the composition somewhat trying to focus on that early evening glow...de-emphasized the reflection etc.

I added the dark border as I'm wondering if it should be cropped more ???
Cheers Leslie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2016/1500147-Leslie_Snider_-_Early_Eve.jpg
Save
Save
Save

CaliAnn
10-11-2016, 01:48 PM
Leslie that is just so beautiful! I would not touch it :)

DAK723
10-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Leslie, Very lovely!

Don

Still-trying
10-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Leslie, I think you got it just right. I like the blurred reflections. I like your composition. I tried cropping just to see and I think you got it just right. Very nice

Sorry I'm not painting. We are on a stay cation and just having some pleasant days together. I'll be back soon. Still have not gotten back to the golden hour surf input up. Soon!

Divasin
10-14-2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone...
I forgot to mention that this piece was done with Rembrandt and Sennelier pastels on brown kraft paper (think paper bag!) in my search for the perfect paper.

Looking forward to all you vacationers returning to the fold!

Still-trying
10-14-2016, 02:35 PM
Wow Leslie. That is very beautiful for being on Kraft paper. Good for you!

Still-trying
10-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Finally..back to painting. I think this is finished now but I'm open to suggestions...please, FEEL FREE! This is 9 x 12. Mostly Maggie Price Grays from Terry Ludwig with Art Spectrum white tints and super soft white tints. My reference.

Divasin
10-17-2016, 10:05 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2016/1500147-FullSizeRender_3.jpg

Jay,
I would be tempted to darken ever so slightly the line between horizon and sky (marked in red) just to add to the sense of depth......
However that might be one of those details you add and then remove as it alters the overall balance too much.

Otherwise I think it's GORGEOUS and am guessing the subtle textures are even more interesting in the flesh :thumbsup:
Leslie
SaveSave

Still-trying
10-17-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks Leslie. I have added and subtracted...just as you said. Such fun with mysterious ocean. A bit foggy in early morning. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it! I actually want to add more bright light on right horizon but i'm sort of afraid to touch it more in that area. so subtle!

Divasin
10-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Yes I thought of that too..bright on right..
but again if it takes away the mystery...
with pastels we have to be careful about losing the freshness with too much fussing...
a flaw I sadly possess!!!
L

Still-trying
10-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Actually Leslie, you got me thinking. The deepest wave shadow was on the left so I lighted, now, since your comments, the left side of the sky. Much better IMHO. Thank you. Thanks why we need fresh eyes. To point out that SOMETHING that is bothering us.

robertsloan2
10-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Don, I love this theme! sorry I came in so late in the month, been under the weather. Your references are awesome and all unknowing I've been studying the light outside during morning and afternoon Golden Hour lately, almost every day, looking at what it does to the trees and the land! Might manage something plein air this month, now all inspired!

CaliAnn, both of yours are so atmospheric. You captured the light beautifully.

Jay, like the finish on your wave and the painting as a whole is good, agree on defining the horizon a bit more - it seems as if it needs evening up even if the line vanishes at some points. The wave's a winner! Very full of character and natural, I can hear the surf!

Divasin, those trees in golden light are gorgeous. Brilliant light, even better than the inspiring photo! Love the way they form such a strong focal area and the rest of the composition works to support them.

Don, my hat's off to your photography on this month's references too. I'm stunned at the true color, wish I could capture some of the early sunset and near sunset skies we get here!

DAK723
10-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Jay, Very nice wave painting! Lovely shimmer of light on the water!

Robert, Hope you're feeling better! Thanks for the nice compliment on my photos!

Don

Still-trying
10-18-2016, 06:33 AM
Robert. Welcome back. Hope you stay well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you Don. Started another yesterday.

CaliAnn
10-18-2016, 03:34 PM
Jay - your painting turned out beautiful! I really love those waves :)

Robert - thank you for your kind comments :)

Still-trying
10-19-2016, 04:53 AM
Thank you CaliAnn.

Still-trying
10-20-2016, 10:12 AM
Trying again with my own reference of the golden hour. I'm having trouble with the wake of the duck. looks like long wings? 9 x 12 on white pastel mat with watercolor underpainting. Then Art Spectrum pastels. All suggestions welcome. These subtle paintings are hard!

CaliAnn
10-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Jay- this is fantastic! I love the colors in this. As for the duck, hmmm... maybe he detracts from the painting? The colors are just so gorgeous, I don't think he needs to be in there at all. If you can (I know I haven't a clue on how to do that!) - can you try to digitally take him out and see how the painting looks without him?

Still-trying
10-20-2016, 10:30 AM
CaliAnn, thanks so much for commenting. Of course Mr Duck was the very last thing I did! I thought the painting needed "more". In the original picture there were two ducks, the bows of two boats and two pilings. There are a lot of halfs to this painting. Half sky, half water. Half pink, half blue. Maybe I should consider a good crop too. What do you think? Thanks for the comments.

CaliAnn
10-20-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't know about the crop. Why don't you post some cropped versions so we can see?

Still-trying
10-20-2016, 11:21 AM
CaliAnn, Just a quick crop. Better? This improves the composition, I think and Mr. Duck swam away!!!! Thank you. What do you think?

CaliAnn
10-20-2016, 11:34 AM
YES! That is fantastic! Those colors and the reflections really stand out - really, really great work! :)

Still-trying
10-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Aww, you're so sweet. Thanks so much for the help. For making me think and not be complacent.

Ruthie57
10-20-2016, 04:19 PM
I'm just back from an amazing trip to Ontario, Canada where we spent some time in a cabin in woodland by a lake. It was heaven (already forgotten that there was no running water and a precarious trip to the composting outhouse!)

Not sure if I'll get any golden hour paintings done, but I have a few photos I took which MAY fit the theme. I will post them soon and feel free to use as refs :)

Still-trying
10-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Welcome back Ruthie. So glad to hear you had a good time. (We didn't get to go to the Falls...my husband hurt his back.). I'm looking forward to your photos. I hope none are the outhouse?

Ruthie57
10-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Haha! No, none of the outhouse, though I did take some!
Here are a few which I hope fit the bill. First one Toronto from our apartment just after sunrise. Second a golden view at the lake where we stayed for the weekend and third a pic taken looking east just before sunset on our drive back from Niagara to the airport. I have more but they're probably too complex to use as refs. Feel free to use but not reproduce the photos etc. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2016/189061-022.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2016/189061-345.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2016/189061-966.jpg

Divasin
10-21-2016, 08:34 AM
Robert ..welcome back and thanks for the comment....
glad you're taking a positive approach to being under the weather.
Don has really made us look harder at the "golden hour" and I'm constantly surprised at dramatic the colour changes can be!

Divasin
10-21-2016, 08:39 AM
Speaking of colours, I love your colour choices Jay, plus the textures and soft edges....yes, very nice edges and plenty of interest and atmosphere without the little duck!

Divasin
10-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Last but not least ...
Glad you had a great trip, Ruthie and got some decent Canadian weather. :clap:

Beautiful photos...now... forget catching up on all that work you left behind and start painting!

Still-trying
10-22-2016, 07:36 AM
Thanks Leslie. It helps so much to have people comment. Thanks.

DAK723
10-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Jay, Very nice painting! Some lovely colors in your sky! I prefer the crop (sorry duck...:crying: ) although I think if you lighten and reduce the wake, the duck may still work.

Ruth, Glad you had a great trip! Toronto is one of my favorite cities to visit and that lake you stayed at sounds wonderful! Great fall colors there! Thanks for the lovely refs!

Don

Still-trying
10-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Thanks Don. I think the crop solves some composition problems so I think I'll crop. Thanks for the comment.

Ruthie57
10-22-2016, 04:49 PM
Yes Leslie, we had great weather! A little chilly now and again but little rain and two really warm days, one where I swam in the little lake near the cabin (colder than the Baltic sea imo) and another where I swam in Lake Ontario off the Toronto Islands. :wave:

Thanks Don. Toronto was great, I'm not a city girl really though and loved the cabin and our couple of nights on the north shore of Ontario. It was certainly a trip to remember and treasure!

I was going to work on the middle one of my photos (page 3) today but stuff got in the way. I will try and get to it tomorrow. I plan to change the shape of the shore though. No one will know :wink2:

Ruthie57
10-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Here's my interpretation of my second pic. I'm doing a pastel demo on Tuesday evening for a local art group and this has NOT built my confidence! Too much fiddling. I have 90 minutes to produce a recognisable landscape for the demo. This took 2 hours with the fiddling. Wish me luck! :crossfingers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2016/189061-sm.jpg

Still-trying
10-23-2016, 03:55 PM
Ruthie, that is gorgeous!!! Well worth the two hours your spent. I just love it! The color is so bright and beautiful. Good work (and good luck for the demo..like you need it!!!)

DAK723
10-23-2016, 04:59 PM
Ruth, Very lovely! Beautifully intense color! Good luck on the demo - you'll do great!

Don

Still-trying
10-24-2016, 06:55 AM
Ruthie, please share a photo of your demo with us? I hope?

Divasin
10-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Beautiful!
It doesn't look fiddled with at all!
Colours bold ... I like the way you've heightened the colour in the tree line to add interest and unity.
Reflections and sky details lead your eye in the right direction...

Can I come to your demo???

Ruthie57
10-24-2016, 10:41 AM
Thanks all! You are most encouraging and that's what I need right now. I've been in the studio practicing. I thought it would be a good idea to work large....but that failed. I get intimidated for some reason. So then I worked on a 10x14" format but I kept getting in a muddle with the tone and colour. I MUST simplify when I do this demo, instead of forgetting all I have ever learned, like I did today. So frustrating!
Jay, I won't be able to take photos during the demo but I will show the result, however bad.....
Leslie, of course you can come! If it had been this time last week maybe you really could have!
Next job is to clean up about a million pastels and then choose my photo and my palette for tomorrow.

Still-trying
10-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Ruthie, I meant the finished demo. No worries. No pressure. You can do this in your sleep. Leslie and I will be sitting in the front row, cheering for you!!!!

Divasin
10-24-2016, 03:30 PM
I was a teacher for many years and found that your audience will respond well to your enthusiasm about the media /subject matter etc.......
so relax and enjoy the honour...
I'm sure they asked you because they already admire your work.

stillwater
10-24-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm lucky that I just did this one that matches the topic. I hope this counts as golden hour and not sunset as the sun is out of the painting. :p
:wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2016/1984785-image.jpeg

It's mount vision on the back of Carson MT.

stillwater
10-24-2016, 08:48 PM
Ruthie, I really love the color of your piece. It's amazing!

Dea
10-24-2016, 11:03 PM
Time has got away from me this month but here's one that I started for last month. It is sunset so I guess it qualifies :)
Mount vision on pastelmat A3 size
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2016/40985-image.jpg
Everyone else has done such great jobs with the light in their paintings,
Deanna

Still-trying
10-25-2016, 05:32 AM
Stillwater, welcome. Your painting is just beautiful! Just beautiful. I love the glow in the reflection best if all. Well done.

Deanna, this is a beauty. That is quite the sky!!! Fascinating to look at all the clouds. I keep finding more to look at. Very nice.

Jay.

Divasin
10-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Stillwater and Deanna...2 beautifully dramatic skies...
both contrast the warmth of the setting sun with deep blue grays
Can this be a coincidence???

Ruthie57
10-25-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks again for the encouragement! Today I have been practicing again with different refs and different papers. Been tearing my hair out! But I have now decided to do the same ref as overleaf but this time on Fisher 400 (The other is on Colourfix). I'm done with it now. Just got to finish packing my art bag ready then I'll do some gardening! I'm not nervous about the talking I have to do, that will just come. It's the way I work and the result which worry me!
Stillwater, what beauftiful colours and value shapes! Fantastic piece!
Dea, wow, that sky is threatening! Love the yellow coming in. Great stuff!

Ruthie57
10-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Well, the demo is done and it seemed to go well. I got lots of questions and found it hard to get away to the bathroom in the break because I had so many people asking questions! Phew, what a relief!
So, what do i remember next time I'm asked to do a demo? The nail biting stress beforehand, convincing myself that I cannot paint for toffee....or the great feeling of a demo going well? (I've been to lots which have not gone well, audience whispering, shuffling, even leaving at the break!)

Still-trying
10-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Good for you. We all knew you would slay it!!! Congratulations. I hope you converted many in the audience to pastels and handed out a stack of your business cards!!!

DAK723
10-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Stillwater, Thanks for joining us! Very lovely painting!

Deanna, very nice as well! Some lovely cloud shapes!

Interesting to see the similarities in these paintings as the sunset colors contrast wonderfully with some lovely grays!

Ruth, So glad the demo went well! We knew it would!

Don

Ruthie57
10-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Jay and Don, for some reason you have more confidence in me than I do! I think maybe demos are not for me. Balance days and hours of stress against a warm feeling when it goes well.....hmm, maybe I should charge more......

Anyway, here it is - the demo piece, from the same photo but not the same as the previous one. I WILL be doing a few tweaks as there's things I've noticed which cannot go unamended!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2016/189061-sm.jpg

Also a photo of the two together, different papers, different pastels...yes they were! Different approach too. Must decipher what I ahve learnt from this exercise. :confused: All comments welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Oct-2016/189061-sm2.jpg

Tomorrow, if I feel up to it, I will tackle the Toronto one, with....buildings! :eek:

Still-trying
10-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Ruthie, first of all..it looks great. You did this in front of people! Thinking and talking at the same time as painting. God bless! I'd love to hear your own critique of the piece but surely you are allowed to finish at home what you did in the demo. (We all know that paintings change themselves when we're not looking!).
Thanks for showing us the demo piece. And the side by side is great to see. I like that you toned down the green from the far treeline in the demo. I liked the far reflections in the water better in the original. And the yellow glow in the sky and water. But you can't be expected to get every nuance in a demo! I think it's brilliant! Take a bow!

Still-trying
10-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Btw, I did the Toronto one after my own photo when we were up there last fall. A sunset. It was very very hard with the buildings. Good luck! (Oh, mine was Quebec.)

Divasin
10-27-2016, 08:02 AM
Ruthie, your demo sounds like a great success to me...:thumbsup:
lots of questions ...you sparked their interest....:clap:

The worst demos I've seen is when the audience sat in stony silence! :mad:

Ruthie57
10-27-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks Jay! I haven't really looked at it again yet. If I decide the original is better I may leave the demo one alone and just keep it for posterity :D

Thanks Leslie! The worst demo I have ever attended, back in September, was a woman who did designs which she drew out and then painted inside the lines with gouache. She asked for silence while she was working and she never said a word! Although her freehand drawing was clever it was excrusiatingly boring. When she started with the paint it was even worse.....like watching paint dry in fact. Anyway, I had a funny turn in the interval and my friends and i had to go home early......;)

I started my Toronto city one today. Will post a WIP photo of the block in later. I think it will be downhill from now...though I'm trying to stay positive. me and painting buildings do not really get on.

Ruthie57
10-27-2016, 11:32 AM
So here's my block in. I cropped the pic and I have raised the height of the buildings a little....took the elevator down from the 32nd floor to the 22nd in my mind :D
I have a feeling it could be like 2 paintings, the sky and the buildings. So I aim to put some sky colours, but darker, in the buildings in an attempt to unify it. Wish me luck for tomorrow!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2016/189061-sm.jpg

Still-trying
10-27-2016, 12:25 PM
I like what you've done so far. I think that is a difficult subject but so far...good! I'll be anxious to see. Keeping watch! Good luck!

robertsloan2
10-27-2016, 07:32 PM
Ooooh some incredible paintings! Ruthie, WOW wow wow wow, love that demo. So many gorgeous ones. Interesting to see your sunset skyline as it develops. Stillwater, love that sky. Love the contrast of smooth side Canson MT with Pastelmat, that's a big difference in look and feel.

I have done a plein air during the golden hour. This was painted outdoors in about half an hour during the Golden Hour and photographed outdoors, a couple of days ago. Today I finally managed to get my Kindle Fire to talk to my new laptop and upload Photos and get Gimp onto it to resize and color correct photos. It's not my best painting as a painting, composition could be livelier or I could add a figure or large animal, though I did toss in a cardinal and some red sumac to balance the red cardinal. The main goal was to work from life and capture light and color, which I corrected to how the painting looks by day.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2016/70184-October_2016_Spotlight_Study_post.jpg
October Spotlight Golden Hour Plein Air
9" x 12"
Gallery Mungyo soft squares on light blue Canson MT smooth side
Painted from life in about half an hour right before sunset.

Still-trying
10-27-2016, 07:40 PM
Very expressive Robert. I love the line behind the foliage. The yellow and orange tones are spectacular.

Ruthie57
10-28-2016, 02:17 AM
Thanks Jay! off to the studio as soon as I can to ruin...sorry...work on this again :D
Robert, thanks! Nice to "see" you again. :) That's a brilliant plein air piece! I can just see that scene with the tops of the trees in Golden light and the rest in evening shadow. Well done for the speed too, though I guess you had to be quick to catch it!

robertsloan2
10-28-2016, 08:05 AM
Purr thank you! Oh yeah, Ruthie. I noticed the light starting to warm and ran inside, grabbed the first pastels and paper that were handy and right back out. From there it was a very intense half hour of just trying to get the color right and keep the shapes more or less where I first threw them. Shadows were moving fast. The cardinal was an afterthought but he led to the sumac so his one discordant color note wouldn't look stupid and I think the sumac helped the shadow areas.

Jay, thank you. That line took a lot of work, didn't just happen, a lot of it was choosing which chunk of the "lots of trees across the road" to start from. Turned out not to be an exact portrait of those trees anyway, though I might take my time and do one in a different painting.

Ruthie57
10-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Well I guess I have to show you the finish, seeing as I posted the block in. OK, now I have city paintings out of my system, probably for a long time. I'm not happy with how this turned out, even though I tried so hard to make it loose and with little detail.
I like the sky though. So, I have an idea which involves some brushing off and a transformation.........

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2016/189061-sm.jpg

Oh, forgot to say, I got discouraged before I was done so I cropped the bottom off :D

Still-trying
10-29-2016, 10:32 AM
The sky is beautiful! If this were mine, I would lay a Kleenex on the buildings and press to slightly take some color and slightly blur. ( McKinley has his landscape classes use a cloth-like paper towel to blur the painting.). I know the buildings are nearer but the sharp edges and bright may be what is bothering you? What IS bothering you? I learn from you.
It looks good though even as is. I love that you found an excuse to put some of the water color in the buildings. I'd love to see a hint of that sky pink too. It's an exciting painting. I think you might be selling yourself short here.

Now I see you didn't ask for comments. I hope I haven't offended.

DAK723
10-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Robert, Lovely plein air! Those yellow trees just glow with light! very nicely done!

Ruth, Glad the demo went well! I must say, that city scene is unbelievably complicated and difficult! You've done an excellent job in simplifying things and creating the warm glow of the sunlit buildings!

Don

robertsloan2
10-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Purr thank you, Don!

Ruthie, I like it, even the buildings. They have that clean cubic air that I've seen in Chicago and NYC and other places like that, even areas of Russellville. I think the light is spectacular and unifies them well. It's great.

Ruthie57
10-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Jay, thanks for your input and of course I'm not offended! Not sure really what bothers me, except that it has not turned out in the way I wanted. I wanted it to be a beautiful atmospheric cityscape but, to me, it's just blocks of flats with a lovely sky behind! I've seen cityscapes made absolutely dreamy by brilliant artists. Dreamy this is NOT! I'm not kicking myself over it though. I'm not so keen on cities really and maybe that's why I can't make them dreamy!

Don, thanks! One thing I AM happy with is managing to simplify it. I still got somewhat tighter than I had imagined though.

Robert, thanks! You know this is Toronto right? I was blown away by this scene on our first morning there. I guess it's really unusual for me to be in a 32nd floor condo. Was worried about it beforehand but I even managed to walk out onto the balcony!

Still-trying
10-30-2016, 02:10 PM
Ruthie, you caught a moment of light. The moment when the sun is shimmering o the stone of the buildings. I think it's a difficult subject but you did it!

Ruthie57
10-31-2016, 04:01 AM
Thanks Jay!

robertsloan2
10-31-2016, 10:45 AM
Oh wow, Ruthie. It's a scary thought. I don't like being that high either and balconies that high would be worse. Wow that you managed to paint and turn it into something beautiful! Cool that it's Toronto. I always imagined Canadian cities as being like that, sleek and pretty skyscrapers, urban looking, had no reason not to expect them to look like Chicago.

Ruthie57
10-31-2016, 01:06 PM
I was worried about it Robert! But, when I stepped out on the balcony, it really didn't seem so high because there were so many buildings at eye level and above. I even managed to look down to the street! Though I couldn't bring myself to touch or lean on the guard rail :)
Sorry to go off topic Don! I'm looking forward to what you cook up for us in November!