PDA

View Full Version : night

creamandblueberries
09-27-2016, 11:06 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-27-2016/1989669_image_(5).jpeg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: night
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11x15
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
hello! I'm trying wet on wet for the first time since I was a kid, this is basically an experiment I thought tu<br>ed out pretty nice? I feel like my biggest issue is with the hands, but any advice is appreciated!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any!

gebhm
09-27-2016, 11:42 AM
Her left hand does appear odd. Two fingers are to long. I get that the two short ones are curled in but that is what is creating the problem in my opinion. I don't do water colors, but the little I know about them I don't think they can be fixed. One eye is open more then the other. Others may have different opinions and advise. I do like what you are trying to do and the style.

creamandblueberries
09-27-2016, 11:46 AM
That makes sense! Yeh I like the two short ones, next time I'll be more careful with the hands I think :) thank you!

picassolite
09-27-2016, 01:07 PM
As you could make the appearance of hands in your paintings... part of what we call your 'signature look' -
you might wish to follow the lead of Norman Rockwell - one of the best contemporary hand painters -
who studied with George Bridgman -
Search for Mr. Bridgman's book - The Book of A Hundred Hands
I have this book among my references - and in my opinion -
it is worth your consideration.
picassolite (https://focuspointshape.com/jurors-corner/watercolor-secrets-with-sable-brushes-study-1/)

Mark Szymanski
09-27-2016, 06:16 PM
There are, as have been pointed out a few anatomy errors, but overall a nice job.

She certainly has the feeling of someone just awakened or been up too long.

I noticed right off though all of the line work is the same darkness and, more to the point, the same thickness everywhere. I am a big fan of line drawing and painting, so when I see one I tend to perk up a bit. Perhaps thinking about creating more variety in the thickness and the strength of the line. The back of the hand on the left side of picture is more of what I am alluding to... the portion by the wrist has a single strong starting point with a great little curl, then travels up along the metacarpal and tapers away to a point where the light is hitting it and it merges into the background. It is a nice moment in the painting.

There are a few other areas as well described, and I like those okay too.

Not crazy about the splash of yellow under her right cheek, seems too anemic and dark for this area, but it may look better in person - cameras are terrible at capturing color and contrast correctly.

The purple moment in her hair, there is some flocculation of the pigment, which isn't entirely attractive and breaks the unity present within the rest of the picture.

Overall you've done quite well, and there are some really nice portions in the painting - especially when one considers you haven't worked wet on wet for quite a while!

creamandblueberries
09-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! picassolite, I'll have to check out that book, I need more reference for hands in general I think...
Mark, you make a lot of really good points, especially in relation to the line thickness - I've been working on adding more variation in the past and sometimes I fall back into doing the same lines over and over again. I think the yellow was too heavy, and I was thinking of adding more yellow on the other side but I think it would make it worse instead of better? You're right about the hair for sure, I originally had it half finished and I think I actually preferred it that way.

kin3
09-28-2016, 12:11 PM
First impression; She has been in a fight or abused. Eyes and hands.

twinwaffle
09-29-2016, 02:02 AM
Not sure if she's meant to have a black (her left) eye, but either way it kind of reads the same to me, And I'm not too clear on why exactly, but I like it very much, both what it says and how. Those two extended fingers on her left hand though...be more careful there next time.
Overall very nice job!

creamandblueberries
09-29-2016, 12:09 PM
Hey guys! I tend to like the look of art that looks like bruising and sleeplessness, for sure. I feel like I personally consistently have dark rings around my eyes and most of my paintings do too, haha.