PDA

View Full Version : What paper do you use for interleaving?

SAS Designs
09-26-2016, 11:03 AM
I have many finished pastels, not going to frame, but want to keep. Now have flat, using tracing paper as interleaving. ( 10505-1124, Dick Blick)
What paper do you use for interleaving?
Have a roll of tracing paper, also parchment paper ( used to use for cooking, not so much anymore)

Read about Glassine, which seems very expensive.

Karen Margolis in current ( 9/26/16) post keeps some of her work in Itoya Portfolio folders. Don't if that's just for transporting, or permanent storage.

Advice please, for what ever I've missed.
Thanks in advance.
Suzy

Divasin
09-26-2016, 11:30 AM
For small pieces..studies and the like less than 9 by 12 in.
I bought a huge package of plastic sheet protectors (office style not bedroom style :lol: ) and slip the art work carefully into them... I can see them quickly if I need a reference.
Beware if they are messed about the pastel will rub off and smudge.

For larger pieces, I stack between sheets of newsprint.. cheap and plentiful.
Cheers LeslieSave

westcoast_Mike
09-26-2016, 01:29 PM
For storing flat, Glassine would be my first choice. Not sure what size you are working in , Crystal Clear Bags (clearbags.com) also work well. I use these for most of my work.

SAS Designs
09-26-2016, 01:46 PM
Thanks
Mike, mostly 9 x 12 or smaller
will google clearbags.com
suzy

DAK723
09-26-2016, 03:47 PM
I tape tracing paper over my unframed pastels. Seems to work fine.

Don

Moqui Steps
09-26-2016, 11:56 PM
Two posts dealing with the same thing within a few lines of each other today. Interesting.

Rather than posting a link to my response on the other post, I will just copy and paste it here.

--------------------------

My preferred protective paper is Kromekote. The glassine sheets we used to use ended up tattered, torn and folded even before the piece was completed.

Fairly inexpensive at large print shops, it does a significantly better job at protecting the pastel than glassine or any other paper / tissue I have tried. I have never had Kromekote damage the image like I have with others.

A big plus is that it can be re-used hundreds of times on new pieces. The pastel dust simply wipes off the glass like surface. It is a fairly thick paper and not prone to getting wrinkles or shifting on the surface that will end up damaging the pastel image.