PDA

View Full Version : plein air pastel

Ruth
07-07-2001, 07:22 PM
At Brookgreen Gardens again. Beautiful day today!

Pastel on Canson dark green paper, approx. 9" x 9"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jul-2001/brkgrn1.jpg

MarshaSavage
07-09-2001, 08:26 AM
Beautiful! I love the way you left so much to the imagination of the viewer. Also, how long did you spend painting this plein air and do you paint mostly plein air? And, what are those reddish trees? What time of day was this? Enough questions?

Visited your website - enjoyed the murals and the paintings. Good work.

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)

Ruth
07-09-2001, 08:49 AM
Thanks Marsha!

This was about 4 PM, and I took less than an hour on this.

I have only recently begun using pastels and wanted to take advantage of a lovely day. I don't do plein air painting nearly enough!

The reddish trees are crepe myrtle, which are in full bloom all over the place now. They range in color from deep reddish-purple to pale lavender and pale pink.

Ruth

MarshaSavage
07-09-2001, 09:31 AM
Glad you are using pastels some - I love them and have been using them for about 15 years (also paint in oil and acrylic). And I am trying to do more plein air painting. As you, I was not doing it enough. Love crepe myrtle - and should have thought that might be the tree you had included in the painting. One hour is great - and what I am striving for in doing plein air. Most of my paintings have way too much detail, so that is what I am striving to use the plein air to teach me -- what to leave out.

Would love to see more of your plein air work here - keep it up.

Marsha --
Marsha Hamby Savage Art (http://marshasavage.artistnation.com)

Gisele
07-09-2001, 09:49 AM
Ruth I absolutly love this painting. I don't know a thing about pastels as I do watercolor and tole painting;but this has everything I love about a painting: it has atmosphere, mystery, good composition, strong use of color and mostly it doesn't "tell" everything to the viewer. There is a feeling like time is holding still to it, you know? like you entered a zone where noone can disturb you...that's the peacefull feeling I get when looking at it...
Thank you for sharing it
Gisele

Ruth
07-10-2001, 07:37 AM
Thank you, Marsha and Gisele!

Gisele, Brookgreen Gardens has that feeling as if time is standing still. It's a beautiful, peaceful place, which is why I go there so often!

The pastels I'm using are big and chunky, it's hard to get any detail on a small sketch. :D

Ruth

Gerak
07-10-2001, 01:56 PM
Simply masterful! Congrats...... :)

Arnold vd W
07-10-2001, 02:09 PM
Ruth

Just an hour ... I think it is marvelous

A

bk7251
07-23-2001, 10:53 AM
Ruth - You have a lovely touch with pastels. But something about the composition bothers me. The large crepe myrtle on the left seems to come forward, while the statue, which is in the foreground, seems to recede.

Also, I can't get a fix on the relative size of the two objects. If you cover up the tree on the left, and just look at the relationship of the statue to the path, the statue appears at least life-size. But when you look at the whole composition, the left hand tree, which is clearly some distance behind the statue, seems to dwarf it.

Perhaps if your point of view were shifted slightly so that the statue would overlap a little bit of that tree, the relationship would be clearer. Or possibly if we could see all of the statue's base.

The red tree on the right, by the way, is handled beautifully. Maybe some atmospheric perspective would help the larger one recede more. Say, if it were more muted (like the other one) and a little less "in-focus" than the statue.

I hope you don't mind this critique. You are clearly talented. A lot of the work I see in these forums dosen't inspire me to reply at all.

Ruth
07-23-2001, 04:49 PM
Thank you for your critique Barry!

It is kind of confusing, maybe because I was sitting on the ground. The statue is larger than life size, and the tree is more like a large bush. The color of the flowers and the light coming through was what attracted me to it. Composition is not my strong suit, so I appreciate any help I can get there. I'll go back one day when it isn't storming and try it again!

Thank you everyone for your comments!

Ruth

Patrick
08-03-2001, 10:48 AM
Truely wonderful! I love to paint outdoors with pastel (well, minus the schlepping of my boxes of colors, but it's worth it). I use them more in winter when water or turps freeze my fingers.