PDA

View Full Version : Caricature carvings

SparrowHawk7
09-18-2016, 06:27 PM
I had a couple blocks of basswood and got to whittling and before I knew it I had a couple caricatures. Both are about 6" tall. Painted with acrylics.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2016/61266-soldier.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2016/61266-wizard.jpg

Yorky
09-19-2016, 01:16 AM
They are great Ken, love the first one.

Doug

SparrowHawk7
09-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Thanks Doug ... just fun carvings. I've got a couple others I'll post when I get photos.

pa-paw
09-19-2016, 10:58 AM
They both look neat as all get-out, Ken. Can you give us a snapshot of the carving process and the tools used?
Thanks Doug for your comments in this forum. It’s great to have an WC administrator show much appreciated interest in this new forum.:)

SparrowHawk7
09-19-2016, 12:01 PM
I haven't got any in process photos. I used a typical carving knife and some small gouges - and band aids. Nothing special.

pa-paw
09-19-2016, 12:23 PM
You would definitely have more control using a carving knife while hand holding the piece. You mentioned “band aids”, so I’m guessing there is an occasional slip up. I had thought about investing in a carving knife set for making the fish replicas, but went for the rotary tools and a small vice instead. I’ve taken a few trips, over the years, to the emergency room for tool accidents and those super sharp knives – well, you know what I mean.:)

SparrowHawk7
09-19-2016, 01:15 PM
Yes ... traditional carving knives. I have a carving glove but I don't like it very much - it feels awkward to me. I keep my knives razor sharp so a slight slip can cut. I know all about hurting my fingers though ... I trimmed off the tips of two fingers on my left hand using my table saw. That wasn't pleasant and took about 2 months to heal to the point where I could use the hand at all. But it's healed as well as it is going to now (13 years ago) but things are never going to be quite the same. I studied classical guitar at American University Conservatory of Music many years ago but my guitar playing days are now quite numbered. However, having done that, I am more careful, of course, but still use power tools. I do have to admit to a certain preference for using hand tools since then ...

pa-paw
09-19-2016, 01:33 PM
At least you didn’t lose your fingers as that would definitely mess with your life in several ways. Reminds me of an accident I had with a long shank standard screwdriver several years ago. Dumb me; I thought it a marvelous idea to whop the screwdriver with a mallet to break loose a rusty screw. The screwdriver slipped and buried itself through the palm of my hand. Patients at the hospital emergency room felt better about themselves after seeing me walk in with a screwdriver through my hand. :o

SparrowHawk7
09-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Amazing at how dumb we can be, eh? I was really lucky that the finger tips grew back for the most part ... they aren't the "normal" shape and they cause pain easily, but they work for the most part. I can't pick things up with my left hand but I am a good deal more intelligent in my choices these days ...

pa-paw
09-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Experience is the world’s most perfect teacher.:)

SparrowHawk7
09-19-2016, 06:15 PM
And speaking for myself at least, I have always tended to learn the hard way. Sigh.

birdhs
09-25-2016, 08:53 AM
I could never carve anything. It just didn't turn out well. I admire sculptors because of that.

But I do still have all my fingers .....

SparrowHawk7
09-26-2016, 07:38 AM
Hehehe ... but I don't know anyone who lost a finger from carving - especially with a knife. Power tools are more daunting. :eek: One thing about caricatures is that they aren't supposed to look like "real" creatures .. and that makes it a lot easier.

MKathleen
11-23-2016, 08:48 PM
They are really nice!