PDA

View Full Version : How to Clone a portion of a photograph

jow104
09-14-2016, 11:42 AM
I like to paint railway locomotives at a location but I must have a perfect railway line displaying not a free line drawing.

Can anyone please inform me how to clone the rail layout to my painting and then leave me to carry on freehand painting of the rest of the scene in Corel Painter programs?

bob63
09-22-2016, 09:22 PM
What program are you using? In Photoshop, you click your cursor (paintbrush, pencil, etc.) at one point on a line, then hold SHIFT and click again at the other end of the line and you will have a perfectly straight line.

Hope that helps!

Bob

bob63
09-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Looking at your railway image in another thread, I see you need curved rails at times, not just straight ones.

In that case (again, I work in Photoshop), you can click the clone tool at one end of the rail on the photo, then on your painting, you can pick the spot you want the rails and start dragging.

The key, I think, is as you drag in your painting, keep your eye on the clone brush in the photo to make sure you follow the rail exactly. If it's off, you can always touch it up later.

Bob

Ratchet
09-22-2016, 10:24 PM
I have Corel programs, Designer, Photo Paint, Draw and Painter. The clone tool works much like it does in PhotoShop, click and drag, making certain the clone tool stays on the line. There may be other ways to do this, check the help files, because I rarely clone and am not overly familiar with that tool.

Also, I use Photo Paint for cloning. I have never tried cloning in Painter or Designer. Draw usually does what Photo Paint will do and more.