PDA

View Full Version : Bear Tooth/yellowstone

harryfisherman
09-05-2016, 10:29 PM
12 x 16 oil on board. All comments welcomehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2016/113016-000_1453.JPG

truebeliever
09-06-2016, 03:14 AM
Hi there,

Over all this is very nice. Your color seems to flow rich and free which tells me that you are very advanced, and not afraid to use the paint.

The photo is not so good.

It looks like you have some texture in the transparent areas on the right side, which catches highlights and disrupts the illusion of depth that you have worked so hard to achieve. Consider taking a soft, dry brush and delicately "tickling" the high parts away to minimize the highlight.

There are some trees in the background with overly sharp edges, near the center. It makes that area of the composition a bit of a bulls-eye. Ditto for the bend of the river dead center. The rest of the picture is in a kind of soft-focus, which personally I prefer.

Many of the rocks are all about the same size and shape, which looks a bit clumsy. I don't usually mind clumsy but in this instance it doesn't look intentional.

I like it!

SilverSwallow
09-06-2016, 06:11 AM
Hello,
another nice piece overall, but like your last waterfall one, this one is also suffering from perspective issues on the part where there is a drop in the waterline.
It looks like it is going on a slope, which kinda goes against the laws of physics!
I agree with the other poster above too, about the rocks. They are all uniform and are following a curve which is making the focal point the waterfall, and that area has issues.
Values in the foreground are lighter than in the background, and some of your background values are darker than the foreground, so I suggest you have a look at that, and consider darkening your foreground, and adding a bit more atmospheric perspective to the background.
I hope this is helpful, and keep at it!