GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Holland
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Board
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
From a polter, somewhere north of Amsterdam.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
The usual

La_
09-12-2016, 12:45 PM
nice comp, nice atmosphere
not sure why no comments, it's a solid piece
perhaps too monochrome for people [hints at underpainting]?

la

gebhm
09-12-2016, 01:09 PM
I like the Comp and the reflection in the canal is good. I question why if there is a reflection in the cannal there is no shadow on the ground from either windmill.

It does seem a little like an underpainting, but what really seems out of place in the bright yellow and redish streaks which I assume are tullips. For some reason they seem out of place. I think you nailed the tall cedars though.

Tom Brown
09-12-2016, 01:50 PM
Ummm, I'm a bit confused, what connection is there between shadows and reflections? Didn't want shadows, typical gloomy Dutch day. The cedars are poplars, and the streaks are bulb fields. Guess I need to go back to the drawing board with this one.

gebhm
09-12-2016, 02:33 PM
You took my words to hard. You appear to have taken my critique extremely hard and that is not what I intended.

No solid connection between shadows and reflections but I (not everybody) expect shadows where there is light. You say overcast day then probably won't be much shadow. What I called cedars regardless of what they are look good. Take the complement!

Obviously you got the tullips right because I recognized what they are! Take the complement! They are just to intense to me compared to the rest of the painting.

If you expressed what you wanted the way you wanted be satisfied and ignore the comments or suggestions. If not listen to what you want and ignore that which you disagree with.

La_
09-12-2016, 03:49 PM
the red and yellow streaks Are too bright - as is the white roof back there
this is a Big part of the appeal of the piece.
just sayin'
coulda said it earlier o.O

la

p.s. holland grows funny poplars - wonderful shaped whatever they call them, but they are nothing like alberta poplars.

Tom Brown
09-12-2016, 04:39 PM
They are Lombardy Poplars

BY7W
09-13-2016, 06:55 AM
I don't know exactly where this is, but think i can get there by bike. Anyway, it seems fine by me. It seems to be a cloudy day and it could be that the colors are the way they are.

Bodhi Peace
09-15-2016, 04:09 AM
i think you have a missed opportunity because the windmills are oriented exactly the same

Bodhi Peace
09-15-2016, 04:10 AM
i don't mind the red overall but i would at least make the background grey

Bodhi Peace
09-15-2016, 04:12 AM
i expect to see a little more reflection of the left windmill

Bodhi Peace
09-15-2016, 04:13 AM
i really like the reflection and the trees and the grass