PDA

View Full Version : The Recording Swarm

Savagei
09-01-2016, 02:33 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-01-2016/1977191_Swarmfinal.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Recording Swarm
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8 x 6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm very dissatisfied with my current capabilities in painting, so any feedback on how I can improve would be appreciated. This was a pretty quick piece in which I experimented with monochrome colour theory.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What in particular could be improved about this piece, in terms of colours, composition, values, etc? I'm a little lost.

La_
09-04-2016, 02:34 PM
color/comp/values are fine
subject - i know not, what it is ... perhaps a crowd of people?

to be dissatisfied with your current capabilities just means you haven't painted enough yet ... challenge yourself, do more and monochrome pieces are great for really pushing the level of darkest darks - lightest lights (which you Could push harder in this piece, but there's a place for softer too).

you might want to post in the abstract forum, this Is an abstract piece, right?
if it's meant to be representing reality you do have a ways to go ;)

la

Savagei
09-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Hi there, thanks for the response. Perhaps you are correct, maybe I haven't been painting enough yet. I've been painting seriously since the end of 2011, so I probably have a long way to go.

As for the subject matter, it is intended to be quite abstract. You're right in thinking that it's a crowd depicted; they're supposed to be a group of figures (or heads, in this case), partially inspired by Japanese dogu dolls.

Thank you very much for the response, it is appreciated and I intend to take in your advice. :)