PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Post September 2016

Dougwas
09-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Hi

Welcome the the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us.

Feel free to share links or images of goals achieved or in progress, those are always fun and people like cheering them on.

Doug

robertsloan2
09-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Purr thanks for posting this, Don! I went to post it and then saw it's already there. Purr!

Colored the one page I did last month but haven't photoed with color, so need to process it. Got chewed on by the kitten this morning. All ready for September's challenge, going to write a 3 Day Novel. I didn't officially enter, but the whole family is going to be gone for Labor Day weekend and I can borrow my son in law's computer for the project.

It occurs to me a lot of why I've been offline is how busted up my laptop is, a quarter of the keys are missing. It's literally hard to type on it. So it's come time to finally replace the laptop and hopefully I may be around more.

Art goal, do some art in September. Maybe try for daily art again but definitely count "artish" like going to Johannes class or reading art books or doing calligraphy.

Ongoing goal, figure out a way to make my pastels accessible and so get back to painting. I love pastels but haven't done much.

And yes, I'm adopted by barn cats. I love all three of them. I will always miss Ari but it's hard to feel lonely under a pile of three loudly purring barn cats, or when I come inside to get song and biting from my little kitten. She keeps getting longer and taller without getting wider, she's sort of a stretch kitten now, really skinny. Does not hold still for petting but follows me and likes walking around through pets and washing my fingers, with occasional gentle love bites. Strange kitten. I love her.

1. 3 Day Novel (at least 40,000 words)
2. Some art, try for weekly art or artish
3. Sort my stuff to make pastel painting easier.

Mij
09-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Thanks for starting us off Doug.
Yesterday and today fitted new blinds to the en-suite wet-room and the other bathroom. Also furniture moving downstairs (this computer room is upstairs).
I am continuing with insulating the garage. If it is really effective I might even go there to paint. Certainly summertime :).

Shed to be erected (by the suppliers) on Wednesday. Supervision only required.

I'll be sorting and recycling stuff from then until practical son heads down this way to help me.
Continue insulation of the garage.
I also have to decide the station (if any) I intend to base the model railway lay-out on.
Decisions decisions.....Meantime read books/pamphlets on layouts....

I'd like to do an art 'challenge' in another forum.
If I get time perhaps a spotlight even.

Oh forgetting that I have two helpers on Monday aged 6 and 9.
Jim

Judibelle
09-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Hi Rob and Jim....Good to see you back, Rob!

Good Goals going there....like you, Jim, mine are mostly non-art-related. I have a lot of cleaning out to do in the garage and basement. Not sure how much art I will do, but intend to do
1 Spotlight. That may be it.
Hi Doug...What's up with you?

Dougwas
09-02-2016, 05:48 PM
My goals for September are:

1) Do two paintings for the FCA portfolio
2) Work daily on one of the watercolour courses
3) Play with another medium other than watercolours and pastels

I haven't touched any art supplies for the past few days. My back and sciatica pain has come back and I can't concentrate long enough to paint. My wife and I were talking about this and we remember this happening last year at about the same time. Maybe the weather change does affect me. I know things will eventually get back to my normal, but it is frustrating not being able to paint.

On another note, I just had a negative situation turned into a positive one! I placed an online order on August 18 for art supplies and frames at the Vancouver store I normally buy from and I hadn't heard from them so two days ago I contacted them. They said they would look into it and yesterday I got a delivery notice, but no explanation about the delay in processing the order, so I sent another email saying how disappointed I was about the lack of service. An hour later I received another email from them apologizing for the delay, explaining what happened and they told me they were also refunding the total amount of the order!:) The order is over $170.00, so now I am a happy camper! I should be getting the order net Tuesday (Monday is a holiday). It pays to let these companies know about bad experiences.

Robert- I was up at 6:00am and saw that no one had started the thread, so I just did a cut and paste job to get us going. One of us will get this started every month. We always help each other out. That is one of the great things about this thread. We all get along so well!:thumbsup:

Good to hear about your furry friends. No one will ever take Ari's place, but you have a heard of cats that will be your constant companions and give you cuddles and friendly bites. Good luck with your three day novel. Sounds like a worthy challenge. Hope you get you pastels out so you can use them.

Great to have you back!:thumbsup:

Jim- It sounds like you have a busy schedule on your hands. It will be nice to get rid of things you haven't used in a long while. You will feel organized and be ready to jump back into you painting and drawing.

By the way. I remember you asking my about my daughter and her cross stitch designing. I don't know if you buy any British cross stitch magazines, but if you do then there is a chance that you have seen her designs. I believe she is regularly published in five British magazines. Her name is Shannon Wasilieff. She is starting to make a living with her designing. Who knew?

Doug

Judibelle
09-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Doug.. .Sorry to hear your sciatica is acting up again! I know the weather affects my body in strange ways....hope it changes soon for you.
Happy to hear the resolution of the Art Supply Order. Worth the wait....

Hermine is making her way up the coast....we may feel some effects in a day or so...my daughter is in New Jersey....they're getting it now!

robertsloan2
09-03-2016, 07:02 PM
Well, scratch the 3 Day Novel, didn't get started due to technical problems. Oh well, easy come easy go, might paint this month anyway. Got a Blick package and attended Johannes class so that's Artish!

Dougwas
09-08-2016, 03:14 PM
Judi- I sure hope Hermine blew by you without any damage. I have been watching CNN (your presidential election is the best best reality series on TV :eek: ) and saw how mean Mother Nature can be. Let us know how you fared out.:crossfingers:

Robert- Too bad about the 3 day novel. I hope you found inspiration in your Blick package and found the time and energy to be creative.

Jim- Hows that shed coming along? I hope the construction went well!

My pain seems to be subsiding and I have been doing a little bit of painting for the past few days. Fingers crossed.:crossfingers: I have been watching Karen Margulis videos on YouTube and got an idea for a marsh painting. I took the photo last week while on my daily walk. As soon as I watched Karen's video I knew I had to paint the scene. I just finished the under painting using different shades of violet Pan Pastel. So far, so good. It is only 5 x 7, but I intend to do a larger version if it turns out okay. We will see!:) Anyway, it feels great to be painting again!

Doug

Judibelle
09-08-2016, 05:01 PM
Sounds good, Doug! I did a number of small ones based on her videos. They came out pretty well.
I actually got to do a couple of sunrises last week. Still feeling like practice works, but felt good anyway.

The storm really pretty much stayed south and east of us,thankfully. A bit rainy and blow-y, but that's about all.
Glad to hear you are feeling better and painting!

Rob...hope you are getting back to painting...
Jim...How's the work going?

Mij
09-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Hello everybody. I'm glad to see you on board so to speak. Come to think of it drawing boards....:lol:.

Glad that the pain is subsiding a bit Doug. Pain takes so much out of peeps and little if anything can be achieved. Watching a video is good as you can be learning and inspired.

Robert you have had to scratch the novel' never mind. A painting will do. You did have a Blick package to drool over :).

Judi well done on the two practice pieces. Will you go on and do something else maybe?

Yes I have been busy. I watched the shed going up, it was a hot day so I sweated just watching the two men putting it up. I learned quite a lot watching. Mainly to have it done for you as it took at least two to manhandle the component parts. It is 8' wide and 6' deep so it should house quite a lot of 'stuff' :thumbsup:. At other times I have been acting as a carer. SWMBO has been going through a 'regression' :( (most times she is in remission) with her MS and has had to take what she calls 'The pills of last resort' or similar. That means that she is unable to drive, which I understand. I have done nothing art wise so far except read a couple of magazines.
Oh woe is me :eek:.
Jim,

Judibelle
09-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Sorry to hear your wife's MS is acting up. My DH doesn't have MS, but a multitude of other issues which makes caretaking difficult. Hope the difficulty doesn't last too long Glad to hear the shed went up without your 'hands on'. Let the younger folk do it!
Yes, I did one more today....a small one on watercolor paper. Interesting effect.

Mij
09-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Hello Judi and thanks for the comments on SWMBO. I think the worst is now over and she does know the steps to having the symptoms minimized.
My difficulty (if it is one lots would say not) is remembering what it is that she likes to do herself. I still sometimes slip up and help when it is not needed. Today I am going to shop (think supermarket) but it is too hot for her, it is just 'warm' for me, another day of summer :). I have a task or two whilst I am uptown.

I have scoured the WC and spotlight forums but did not see your painting. Still it is good to have managed one as well as caring to do.

I will carry on de-cluttering here with this room (computing) with a wardrobe full of mixed media painting stuff. My current studio room which is the guest bedroom as well. I will need to help SWMBO to de-clutter other rooms where I am needed etc. and organize the garage insulation. Oh yes I must go and do the shopping now mustn't I.......
Jim.

robertsloan2
09-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Jim, that's so rough when she has it that bad. I feel for you both and understand it's hard to remember. I try to let my daughter know when I can do things myself but had to learn to ask for help when it's still marginally possible to do things but would not really be worth it.

Doug, ow ow ow ow yeah, sciatica bites. It might be the season hitting everyone, I've been out of it more often than not lately, blotto with pain and exhaustion. Threw my back somehow and weather finished the job. So I haven't been doing any of the planned rearranging but did get some art done - not weekly but did finish coloring the knotwork page with watercolor pencils and then last week did a horse and a donkey from life, head portraits.

One of the reasons I've been online less and less is that my laptop continues to shed keys, it's become very hard to type. A couple of days ago I got fed up with this and decided to buy a new laptop - then my daughter helped me find one on eBay for a lot less than I expected to pay, so I am a happy cat. It arrives Thursday. I might be posting more timely once that's been set up and settled into! In retrospect that's really what scuttled the Three Day Novel - without a good keyboard I can't just lose myself in typing.

Mij
09-18-2016, 04:46 AM
Thanks for you words of help Robert. SWMBO does let me know in the kindest of ways of course but I'd like to know before hand if I could.
It has not stopped her online shopping for carpets and a desk. There is nothing wrong with the desk (it will not go with the new carpet) so it will go in the other room which is my art studio. I will probably go to the garage as a studio :). There will be more room there as well.
The month is over the halfway mark and still no art here. Did not go to my watercolour class with Joe Dowden yesterday. I was too late waking up.
Hello Doug I hope the sciatica has abated. It tends to given time. A tidy studio always inspires me, funny that :angel:.
Jim.

Judibelle
09-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Hi, guys....
Good to hear from you all....Nothing much going on with me....no art. mostly appts., and recuperation. Havent been feeling well for a couple of weeks, so I'm taking it easy now...
Still watching videos, but that's about all...

Doug, hope you are feeling much better by now. Checked your facebook page and really like that last one you did...Nice!
Rob....Do hope you get computer access again soon. It just isn't the same without you around here...and on Facebook!

Jim...Good luck with the studio thing...you can't stay in the room with the new desk? Is the garage heated? Anyway...hope you get it worked out...

Mij
09-30-2016, 05:20 AM
Hiya folks. September here was much as expected. It was not because of the model railway I got but SWMBO decided to renew the carpet in some upstairs rooms. I was the designated furniture shunter.......
Doug, I hope that Karen Margulis was able to inspire you somewhat and your under painting led you onto a successful conclusion.
Hi Robert. It is so much easier on the carer where effective communication is established. If the challenged person is aware of their own inabilities and they don't like the situation they are in it is most difficult for them as well. I do try to alleviate it a bit most of the time with humour but I'm sure I'm not always successful at it.
Hi there Judi. I hope all is well with you. Was you able to do any art this past month? I will quite understand if not. It has been one of those hasn't it. The spare room that I used as a studio is a bit small and the garage in comparison is large. I am unsure whether it will be warm enough though as I have yet to try that. First I will have to finish its insulation. Make a baseboard for the model railway and make some scenery for it ( miniature modelling and art).

Next month starts tomorrow, I wonder what that'll bring? More furniture shunting here as our two computer rooms are carpeted on Monday.
jim