PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Glassine and Tracing Paper?

Bigcaat
08-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Hi.

I do soft and oil pastels, as well as graphite and charcoal. I've been using tracing paper to keep things clean when I store them before framing or deciding what to do with them. Is that bad? Okay? What is the difference between Glassine and Tracing paper?

Thanks,
Caat

water girl
08-29-2016, 11:34 PM
I really am not sure about that. I've used both for that purpose, although glassine seems smoother. A while ago I bought a roll of glassine, so that is what I am using at present.

DAK723
08-30-2016, 09:31 AM
I have always used tracing paper, so, no it is not bad!

Glassine, I believe, is heavier and sturdier. Tracing paper is very thin, can crinkle and tear easily, but is cheaper! I always tape the tracing paper down and it seems to work well enough!

Don

westcoast_Mike
08-30-2016, 10:55 AM
I've used both. You will get a little less transfer with glassine.

Bigcaat
08-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Thanks, guys! :)

Artsysmartsynj
09-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Want some free glassine? Go to your local pizzeria and ask them to give you a small stack of the paper they place underneath the pizza in the delivery boxes. Same stuff.

Baking paper works too. Much cheaper.

Normally they'll hand you a stack.

Bigcaat
09-26-2016, 04:55 PM
Want some free glassine? Go to your local pizzeria and ask them to give you a small stack of the paper they place underneath the pizza in the delivery boxes. Same stuff.

Baking paper works too. Much cheaper.

Normally they'll hand you a stack.

Thanks for the tip! Who'd a guessed it? ;)

Moqui Steps
09-26-2016, 10:41 PM
My preferred protective paper is Kromekote. The glassine sheets we used to use ended up tattered, torn and folded even before the piece was completed.

Fairly inexpensive at large print shops, it does a significantly better job at protecting the pastel than glassine or any other paper / tissue I have tried. I have never had Kromekote damage the image like I have with others.

A big plus is that it can be re-used hundreds of times on new pieces. The pastel dust simply wipes off the glass like surface. It is a fairly thick paper and not prone to getting wrinkles or shifting on the surface that will end up damaging the pastel image.