View Full Version : Place in Italy, X

thevaliantx
08-21-2016, 04:11 AM
Place in Italy, using Google StreetView
18 x 14
Oil Pastel on corrugated cardboard

sea dangler
08-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Nice picture ,thevaliantx !,the corrugated cardboard works great for this type of image.
Dave

thevaliantx
08-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Thanks, Sea. The bad thing is that the cardboard isn't archival, but yeah .... it did help with the steps and the 'old' look to the building.

AnnieA
08-25-2016, 01:46 AM
Yes, the corrugations really add to this piece. Nicely done, George! Just curious, what kind of oil pastels did you use?

If you want to try another piece on cardboard, you could coat the cardboard with gesso to protect it from the oil in the pastels. That won't make it archival, but it would probably last longer.

thevaliantx
08-25-2016, 02:01 AM
Annie, I may gesso a piece of cardboard and then roughen it up to give it some tooth. These were VERY cheap oil pastels I was using. I don't remember the name of the brand, but the sticks are octagon shaped I think.

Tripod
09-04-2016, 06:58 AM
I have used that for two acrylic works, one gesso the other not, but I wasn't worried about archive stuff.
It certainly adds to this image which is very attractive

thevaliantx
09-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Annie, I'm a little slow. The next time I work with oil pastels I WILL gesso the cardboard first. Thanks for the heads up.

Derek, this is my best effort with OP's to date. The proof is in the pudding that growth in one medium leads to growth in others. I'm glad you liked this one!