PDA

View Full Version : Sunset at Sea

Britrail
08-20-2016, 09:40 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-20-2016/46094_Sunset_at_Sea.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sunset at Sea
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A small canvas painted using knives. Based on photos of sunsets at sea.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
This is painted using oils. Do the panel think that heavy body acrylics would be a better medium for this type of painting

Margaretta
08-21-2016, 06:23 AM
I like the movement of sea and sky here. I wouldn't say that acrylics are better or worse; they have different effects. Acrylics would give a flatter, more blended surface unless you squeezed them directly onto the canvas. I think the sheen and brilliance is better with oils but I'm no technician.
One or two yachts reflecting the sunset would give this more interest and perspective.
An interesting question arises and I don't know the answer without observing on my next holiday: How much of the sunset is reflected onto the sea from the horizon? Does the shape in the water exactly match that of the sun and rays or is it narrower/ wider etc.? Haha! A good excuse for a seaside holiday.:)

Yvonne Keogh
08-22-2016, 11:41 AM
This is beautiful - you've captured water so powerfully! I love it.
I love the colours but the ocean blue seems more like swimming pool blue or maybe it's just the digital version. Regardless it's an entrancing painting that moves and changes as I look at it.