PDA

View Full Version : How Is This Done?

Ratchet
08-14-2016, 10:58 PM
I want to make a table top smooth and glossy. The slant of the reference is such that the table top is a significant portion of the background. How to I get a smooth glossy texture with oil pastels? The table top is dark wood, polished so there are reflections, almost like dark glass.

I tried turpentine. I did not layer enough or too much as the oil pastels muddied more than blended into a smooth polished finish. I might try a bit of colorless blender or oil but any suggestions are welcome.

tuscanny
08-16-2016, 12:53 AM
Oil pastels aren't usually glossy. I'd suggest that you finish painting in all the reflections and then seal it with a sealer or an alkyd medium used for oils to get that gloss.

Ratchet
08-16-2016, 10:16 AM
Except for Sennalier, I don't know of any sealers for Oil Pastels. I am not certain what the difference is between a sealer and a fixative.

What is recommended?

Ratchet
08-16-2016, 01:33 PM
I found the information about alkyd mediums and sealers. Polyurethanes or perhaps there are special sealers for oils. I will do more research.

Thanks

Hipkit
10-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Surely you want to create the illusion of glossiness, rather than actually have the paint surface glossy. I paint cats and try to create the illusion of fur, I don't actually put fur on the painting surface.
So you really just need to notice the play of light on the table top, how things are reflected in the surface, and try to include these in your art work. Anyone viewing the picture will know that the top of the table was glossy.

Ratchet
10-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Thanks Hipkit

On the piece I was asking help with, I did both, reflections and a spray gloss. The reflections were the only gloss finish in the first, the spray is the second. I prefer your recommendation but others prefer the spray finish.

Here is the finished piece

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1411272

tuscanny
10-17-2016, 11:59 PM
Lovely work, Ratchet.

a. ladd
05-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Pour a thin, even layer of Liquitex Pouring medium on top - it'll dry like Epoxy Resin - if that's what you're looking for!