PDA

View Full Version : Flower Carving

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 06:34 AM
Here's a carving I did a while back. The flower and leaves are basswood, the base is mahogany. The stems are made from some metal wire soldered together.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2016/61266-08102016-5.jpg

Mostly fashioned using a rotary tool along with some knives. Painted with watercolor. The pistils are wire strands with some glue globbed on the ends. Stands about 6" tall.

Yorky
08-13-2016, 08:51 AM
That's beautiful Ken, so delicate.

Doug

vmrs
08-13-2016, 09:16 AM
How lovely!

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Kind of different, eh? It's the only carving I've done with a rotary tool - at least so far.

Olaf
08-13-2016, 12:40 PM
. . Mostly fashioned using a rotary tool . .
What kind of rotary tool . . Dremel . . Foredom . . ?

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 03:39 PM
It's a Foredom ... I bought it years ago because the Dremel at the time didn't have the flexible part and holding the motor at the same time as I was working was too difficult. There was another reason I got the Foredom but I can't remember what it was at the time ...

birdhs
08-14-2016, 11:31 PM
six inches tall?

I was already impressed, but when I read the actual size I was twiced impressed

very nice

greggo

SparrowHawk7
08-15-2016, 04:33 AM
Thanks Greggo ... it seemed a good size when I was doing it. Too large would have taken too long and smaller really wasn't much of an option due tot he bits I was using.

musket
09-05-2016, 09:57 AM
Kind of different, eh? It's the only carving I've done with a rotary tool - at least so far.

Your flower is nicely done but I don't like the base.

Many people do flowers, though more usually as part of "habitat" for bird carvings (naturally, flowers are usually included in carvings of hummingbirds).

I also used a Foredom flex-shaft, but only for roughing out. They're too clumsy for doing delicate work. If you are seriously going to get into this, I recommend shelling out for a micromotor handpiece unit like an NSK or Gesswein. They are expensive, but will make things much easier. I believe that Foredom also makes a handpiece now, for considerably less money.

Good luck with it. My user name, btw, is the old falconry term for a male Sparrowhawk (the accipiter, not the American kestrel to which the name is sometimes misapplied).

SparrowHawk7
09-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Thanks musket ... the base was really a block I had lying around so I just used it. The entire thing was mostly an experiment to try out my new Foredom at the time. I honestly don't remember why I bought it now but it wasn't really for carving - I sort of think it was a tool used for building models (wooden ships or model railroading at the time). I wasn't all that enamored of carving after trying a number of projects (both by knife and rotary tool) so I moved on to other things. Every now and then I get the urge to pick up a block of basswood and make some chips ... but the urge tends to make way for other hobbies before I act on it.