PDA

View Full Version : Traditional Box

SparrowHawk7
08-12-2016, 09:24 PM
Like most woodworkers, I dabble in boxes. They are a great way to use smaller pieces of wood and make great gifts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2016/61266-08102016-2.jpg

I made this one for my mom some years ago but it is pretty much the usual design for me. It's about 9x4x3. The carcase is chechen with maple corner splines. The inside has liners of curly maple giving a lip for the upper lid to align. The bottom of the inside is lined with green flocking. The left photo shows the outside of the top which is figured maple burl and a hard maple inlay. The photo on the right is the inside of the lid which is also maple burl with a figured maple along the edge.

I don't use solid wood for the top or bottom of these, but cut a groove and set a 1/8" birch plywood panel in that groove. That makes the box more dimensionally stable so I don't need to worry about movement. Then I cut thick veneers out of the burl - maybe 1/8" thick, and fit them by hand using small planes. They are glued onto the plywood and then the edges are covered using another wood - in this case the thin maple strips. All corners are mitered. The box is finished with a couple coats of oil and finally 3-4 coats of light shellac, leveled with steel wool in between coats and a couple coats of Johnson's Paste Wax at the end.

These boxes take some time but they are fun ... and I have something useful to show for the time when I'm done.

Scene Chaser
08-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Beautiful box, Ken. You you cut the burls with a bandsaw?
Bill

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 12:33 AM
Thanks Bill ... I buy the burls in a block form and slice off what I need with my band saw. Sometimes they are spectacular ... other times not so much. Luck of the draw - you never know what's hiding inside that wood.

Mike L
08-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Nice! Very pleasing proportions.

R/Mike

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 12:10 PM
That's a truism, Mike ... I've made some that just didn't quite work due to dimensions. There is probably a formula dealing with the golden mean to determine the most pleasing proportions.

Olaf
08-13-2016, 12:36 PM
. . The box is finished with a couple coats of oil . .
What kind of oil . . ?

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 03:42 PM
I often just use boiled linseed oil because it doesn't form a skin .. and it's also readily available. I've tried finishing my boxes without it but the wood is much less vibrant IMO. I think I might enjoy spraying some finishes but I haven't got an HVLP nozzle. I really could use winning the lottery ... just once, you know ...

Olaf
08-13-2016, 04:05 PM
I often just use boiled linseed oil because it doesn't form a skin .. and it's also readily available. I've tried finishing my boxes without it but the wood is much less vibrant IMO. I think I might enjoy spraying some finishes but I haven't got an HVLP nozzle. I really could use winning the lottery ... just once, you know ...
I use a lot of Watco's Danish Oil . . love it. I use boiled linseed oil on shovel handles and the like . . have used it in the past on gun stocks.

Check this affordable HVLP sprayer: https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0518080-Control-Spray-Sprayer/dp/B003PGQI48

Mine is an older model, have had it for 25-30 years and can't say enough good about it for spraying lacquer . . :thumbsup:

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 04:42 PM
That is a good price indeed ... right now I'm recovering from a rash of medical expenses that I was not ready for ... this getting older stuff is not all it's cracked up to be.

birdhs
08-14-2016, 11:29 PM
Enjoyed reading about the details of this box. I can tell I'm going to enjoy this forum, I already have interacted with many of the posters.

greggo

did I say what a great job you did!

SparrowHawk7
08-15-2016, 04:34 AM
Thanks Greggo. I hope this forum is a good place to share techniques, materials and all that sort of thing.