PDA

View Full Version : Easel

SparrowHawk7
08-11-2016, 06:25 PM
I'll start things off with a project I did several years ago. I decided that I needed an easel for my paintings but all I had was a table easel which was a bit small and not so sturdy. So I looked around the net and found some photos of H easels that I liked. I modified the designs and built my own. I actually had no idea of how they worked so I figured it out as I went.

This one can hold canvases up to about 6' tall and probably just as wide. I doubt I'll ever do such a large painting but I have the capability if I wish. It's made of red oak. The pivot points at the bottom of the legs are made of a cut steel rod. All joinery is tongue and groove often secured with wooden pins.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2016/61266-easel.jpg

I think I would use larger casters on the bottom if I were to do this again. it's not too late to change them but they really aren't that bad.

Yorky
08-12-2016, 02:18 AM
A real work of art Ken. Often I find finding the hardware is difficult.

Doug

SparrowHawk7
08-12-2016, 07:05 AM
Thanks Doug. I built it to use a counterweight but I've never actually installed it. It would make working with a large canvas somewhat easier, but I tend to work on 16x20 or less so it's never been an issue ... one of these days though ...

Mike L
08-12-2016, 08:16 PM
That's gorgeous! Only thing missing is a clinometer on the movable lower support bracket/shelf.

R/Mike

SparrowHawk7
08-12-2016, 09:09 PM
It doesn't show well in this photo, but the easel does indeed incline. I built it so it could lean a bit forward in case I wanted to use it for pastels or charcoal and it also leans back although I don't know exactly how far - never measured it. It's dark here now but I'll take a photo from the side to show the leaning aspect when it gets light tomorrow.

I had fun designing and building it. Some of it was done from the seat of my pants to be honest as I never saw one of these in person so I just had to figure out how it worked from photos and my experience in making the parts going into it. I'm not entirely sure what I made is what most H frame easels are .. but considering I expect I will only work on 16x20 canvases, it will be sufficient.

Scene Chaser
08-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Well done. You must intend to do some large paintings.
Bill

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 12:39 AM
Thanks Bill ... not really. I just figured if I was going to make an easel it ought to be an H frame. I don't know why but that's what I thought ... so I did. The fact that it would accommodate large canvases was really just a side effect. On the other hand, if I ever do want to go large I'm ready.

birdhs
08-14-2016, 11:39 PM
This will also double as a display for those large pieces, too.

It is really a work of art in it's own way.

greggo

SparrowHawk7
08-15-2016, 04:31 AM
Very little that I make using wood isn't something of an artistic endeavor - except for shelves and that sort of utilitarian thing. Some things work out better than others, of course. This easel had room for improvement though. I was using pegs for an artistic type of design along the top. Unfortunately I put them in before I cut the angles on the top. As a result some of the pins are not in the proper place. Oh well .. live and learn.

pa-paw
09-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Very cool and very beautiful.:)

SparrowHawk7
09-15-2016, 04:57 AM
Thank you ... I used red oak because it was inexpensive and something I had available. In the end I'm glad I used it because it was easy to work with and is really quite attractive.

MKathleen
11-23-2016, 08:47 PM
Beautiful studio easel nice workmanship

robertsloan2
12-20-2016, 09:06 PM
Wow, Ken. This is magnificent! Gorgeous work and so useful - and you have the satisfaction of its uniqueness, remembering the work that went into it when you paint. Some things are just perfect.

SparrowHawk7
12-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Not perfect by any means, but satisfying nonetheless. :D

Thank you.

laf.art
01-03-2017, 11:44 AM
What a lovely piece of work, don't think I'd want to cover it in paint :)

SparrowHawk7
01-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Thank you laf.art ... well, there seems no chance of that - I haven't picked up a paint brush since I built it. I am starting to get the urge to draw again though.

Delofasht
01-11-2017, 05:03 PM
That. . . is the kind of easel I need around the house. When I get into an actual house again I think I will have to build one!

SparrowHawk7
01-12-2017, 05:29 AM
That. . . is the kind of easel I need around the house. When I get into an actual house again I think I will have to build one!
It's actually pretty easy and considering what they charge for them on various sites ... !!!! I built it from some extra red oak I had lying around. The only things I ended up buying were some steel plates (used as guides for the moving center portion), a solid steel rod I used for the hinges on the base, several eye hooks for the rope guides for the weight (which I haven't put on yet ... and maybe won't as I don't need it), and the castors. If I had it to do over I would buy larger castors.

talisman
04-04-2017, 01:48 AM
The H frame easels always say now here is an artist to me. Someday I'll deserve one. Thanks for sharing your wonderful work one this.

SparrowHawk7
04-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Thanks Dianna ... One of these days I'm gonna do some painting ... at least that's the plan. Getting started though is easier said than done I'm afraid ....

jonc50
08-27-2017, 08:14 PM
An excellent job...and an excellent piece of equipment!!

SparrowHawk7
08-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Thank you Jon ... I enjoyed building it and I expect I will also enjoy using it.