PDA

View Full Version : Woodchips - August 2016

SparrowHawk7
08-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Hello all! Welcome to our newest forum. This thread will act as a chat room for anyone wanting to introduce themselves or just chat. Please read the posting rules for the forum.

I'm Ken. I started doing woodworking about 12 years ago with woodcarving. Then I did some model ship building out of wood and finally into more formal woodworking. I enjoy making boxes and a little furniture (bookshelves). A little after starting to work with wood I took up pencil drawing and found I could do that fairly well and enjoyed it. I suppose I'm something of a jack of several trades but I enjoy them all.

I'm pleased to meet all who come here. Please feel free to post threads of your wood working projects - we'd all love to see them. :wave:

Yorky
08-12-2016, 02:22 AM
Hi Ken, I have a couple of projects in mind, nothing on the scale of your easel.

First is a pochade box for plein air sketching, second is a folding support like James Gurney's plein air set up.

Hardware is a problem. I asked my son in Michigan to find me some 1/4 inch T-nuts and inserts as the 6mm metric ones over here don't fit mt tripod screws.

As I don't have any sophisticated power tools my larger project were mainly furniture made with teak faced particle board.

Doug

doppler
08-12-2016, 02:39 AM
Hi Ken.

In the past I have done woodturning, woodcarving and marquetry. Also pearl inlay. Least said about that the better, the dust is horrid.

Will take some piccies of admittedly old stuff and post. The bug is back.

doppler
08-12-2016, 03:17 AM
HI Ken and Doug.

I have experience in woodturning, woodcarving and marquetry. Also pearl cutting and inlay.

I shall take some pics of my work, that I still have.

doppler
08-12-2016, 03:32 AM
Ken, third time lucky.

I love that you have started this forum.

I have experience in woodturning, woodcarving and marquetry.

Happy to share what I know and will show bits of past work.

Holy, it works !!! Doug :thumbsup:

Yorky
08-12-2016, 03:35 AM
Thanks for trying the forum out Annie, I hope I have fixed it now.

I look forward to seeing your bits ;)

Doug

doppler
08-12-2016, 03:43 AM
Dear oh dear Doug. :lol:

I've only got the mini lathe free from Rogers stuff in the workshop. Sander thicknesser blocking my access to the main woodfast lathe.

Marquetry stuff lies around. Sharp knives.

SparrowHawk7
08-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Hi Ken, I have a couple of projects in mind, nothing on the scale of your easel.

First is a pochade box for plein air sketching, second is a folding support like James Gurney's plein air set up.

Hardware is a problem. I asked my son in Michigan to find me some 1/4 inch T-nuts and inserts as the 6mm metric ones over here don't fit mt tripod screws.

As I don't have any sophisticated power tools my larger project were mainly furniture made with teak faced particle board.

Doug
Living in the States, I have somewhat different suppliers, but I get a lot of my stuff from http://www.rockler.com/. I've no idea what shipping costs would be but they are a possibility.

SparrowHawk7
08-12-2016, 07:18 AM
Hi Annie ... welcome.

I have a friend who has made guitars for some rather famous people such as Charlie Daniels among others. His wife was in a band with me back in the late 70s and we've remained friends over the years. She does all his inlay work which is really quite an art form. My exposure to inlay is along the lines of Federal furniture - circa 1785-1820 with line and berry as well as a few bell flowers. Great fun.

I'm sort of anal about sharpening knives, chisels and plane irons. Mine go through a number of water stones and strops on a fairly regular basis. Dull tools are dangerous. The downside to all that however, is that I have to bring out my kitchen knives and keep fiddling with them as well.

A lathe is something I have never added to my shop ... room is a problem. That limits me on furniture building as well as projects though. One day ...

Yorky
08-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Wow that's a great supplier Ken and they ship to the UK.

Doug

skappy
08-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Hi Annie great to hear from you I cnfirm your e a marquetry master how are the cats?

rooroosta
08-12-2016, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone, just having a look around the new forum...it's knot bad at all!

SparrowHawk7
08-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Sigh ... Andy, you need help ... :lol:

selectedgrub
08-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Thanks for starting this.
Hope there will be some interest.

Looking forward to sharing.

Mike L
08-12-2016, 08:13 PM
Cool beans! Will look in often.

R/Mike

SparrowHawk7
08-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Hi guys,

I hope this forum catches on ... I think there may be quite a few of us who like making sawdust along with more traditional art. Time wil tell ...

Scene Chaser
08-12-2016, 11:31 PM
Hello all,
Ken, I'm glad you started this forum. I like to do a little woodworking and I'll post some things as I finish.
I use Rockler, too. They are a little expensive, but they have unique items.
Bill

SparrowHawk7
08-13-2016, 12:37 AM
We can use all the participants we can get here. I love working with wood although I love drawing with graphite as well.

birdhs
08-14-2016, 11:49 PM
Our business is actually called "Camp Sawdust". We lived near the great camps of the Adirondacs (upstate NY Wolcott) so as a joke we always referred to our shack as a 'great camp'. Our first rescue dog ran into the woodshop when we brought him home and laid down in the sawdust under the table saw...and he blended right in: same color. So we got a name for the dog and the camp at the same time.

Today I am unretired with a little business selling off some of the woodcrafts we made over the years, adding new ones now & agin. What I make now is birdhouses, they sell adequately and I enjoy making them.

So good to see this forum, I always enjoyed wood, but had no place to talk about it and share. Looking forward to getting to know y'all better.

If you are ever passing thru Chattanooga area let me know and we'll slop sum grits and fried chicken. Sorry, no poke salad or greens...too bitter for this old Yankee.

greggo

SparrowHawk7
08-15-2016, 04:28 AM
Good to see you here, Greggo. Feel free to share any of your projects please. I saw a Tommy MacDonald show where he was making birdhouses ... looked interesting.

inkslinger69
09-30-2016, 07:54 PM
I'll have to contact some friends I've given gifts to and get some pics!

Nomad Z
10-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Those looking for tripod thread tee-nuts in the UK can get them from here...

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/captive_nuts.htm

Near the bottom, 1/4-20 UNC.

Yorky
10-03-2016, 01:55 AM
Thanks for that, I did search but got them from the USA in the end.

Now to find some friction hinges.

Doug

doppler
01-10-2017, 01:57 AM
Ken, I have found sawdust again :heart:

SparrowHawk7
01-10-2017, 03:19 AM
Good for you Anne! I went out to my shop recently with the intention of cleaning it up so I could do something ... but it was such a mess that I lost heart. Sigh. What it really needs is for me to open the garage door, get my compressor going and give the entire shop a good blow. That generally takes about an hour and a half but it doesn't do anything for the mess although it gets rid of the dust and cobwebs - so straightening is another couple hours. I didn't have the energy to tackle all that ... Excuses ... excuses ... but ...

doppler
01-14-2017, 03:08 AM
Ken, my husband has moved my lathe out to where I can use it. I'm stunned that the skew chisel still loves me. He gave away his fret cutting machine, over engineered and bloody heavy, but works a treat. Five minutes instead of hours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2017/141006-image.jpeg

In its new home now. Which is somewhat tidier than its old one. And the fifteen year old put it together.

More will come.

Ken, use a vacuum with a bag that you can empty outside. Blowers, just blow everything everywhere.They are blowers. Now I feel like the household goddess lecturing. Or not. I kept a vacuum close by when I was cutting pearl. The dust made my lungs ache.

Now, vacuum is not a woman thing despite male cries inside the home to the contrary.

Anyone can wave a sucker? Makes it all dust tidy and pleasant should one wave the wand :evil:

SparrowHawk7
01-14-2017, 06:33 AM
The thing is that I have all sorts of shelves and things on those shelves all over the shop so I would have to do a major dusting first .. .and that is much like blowing. I have a pretty large compressor so I open the overhead door and blow everything outside. Works quite well when i do it ... and I don't clog any filters except my dust mask. For my shop, it's actually easier than a vacuum. But it requires a certain overcoming of inertia and I'm not doing that well with that part .... perhaps tomorrow ...

RBloechl
01-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Just ran across this forum, from a cross reference from ArtL, in the watercolor forum. When I'm not creating a watercolor, I can be found in the garage, restoring a "woodie" station wagon, a sideline of mine. Maybe out of the realm of this forum, but thought I'd poke my head in and say hello.

Rich

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2017/228820-iatomase29.jpg

SparrowHawk7
01-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Those old woodies are beautiful cars! Glad to meet you. :wave:

Yorky
01-15-2017, 02:37 AM
A wonderful car Rich.

Doug

SherylG
10-27-2017, 10:22 AM
I am new to the woodworking forum, as well. Just discovered it a few days ago! I've been a member of WC for years as an artist. I had a small wood shop in my garage about 30 years ago, making corner shelves, stools, quilt racks, peg racks, etc, etc. Little things. I started it mainly as a way to make thing to paint on and sell and caught the bug! This was when we had very small kids at home and I was at home and had the time for it. I sold it all when I went back to work.

We (hubby and I) have been semi retired for a few years now. I usually spend the winter months painting. Now I am slowly picking up the woodwork again and am loving it! We recently bought a Dremel and extra bits for it so I can use that to do detailed wood work. I also plan to carve bone and rock with it, as well as wood.

I began whittling hair sticks this past summer and have a box full of them peeled and ready to sand, put away for winter work. I also plan to start making carved walking sticks with leather handles this coming summer when I have access to the poplar and willow branches. We live in our RV full time and spend the winters in southern BC. We're called "snowbirds" here - retirees that travel to warmer parts for the winter. I live in a city in the wintertime...usually. Has been Kelowna for a few years, but this winter we are trying Osoyoos, BC for the winter.

We live and work in Muncho Lake, BC on the Alaska Highway near the Yukon in the summer months. We're Provincial Park Operators up there where I have access to all kinds of branches and wood scraps, picnic table parts, etc.
and where we have the majority of our larger tools.

We do have a jig saw and skill saw, drill, drivers and Dremel with all it's parts with us however. I just have to work outside where it does get cold in the winter, even in Osoyoos.

Yorky
10-27-2017, 10:57 AM
What an exciting life you have Sheryl, working and travelling.

Doug

DK.Alice
01-21-2018, 06:23 AM
You are Awesome in woodworking. I love making boxes and a little furniture (bookshelves).

cresta126
01-22-2018, 02:03 PM
My son has an invention he has been working on for ages, he has quite a lot of interest in his project and now wants to make a smallish working model, he is thinking that wood he would buy would be costly, talked about cardboard and we discussed poster board that would be quite flimsy, is there any kind of plastic that would be workable. Not poor in the tool department has built several larger parts and always needed some kind of new tool.
Could you suggest anything that would work , we could paint the cardboard and make it sturdier and somewhat waterproof ,can we find it to buy in sheets? Going back to wood ,plywood makes the finished project very heavy,
first one was ,big heavy, took two men and a lift, and we only had two men, thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Yorky
01-22-2018, 02:20 PM
If it just a mockup you could yous rigid foam insulation board.

Doug

cresta126
01-22-2018, 02:36 PM
thank you ,will have to google what that is