PDA

View Full Version : Royal Poinciana

Karen519
08-10-2016, 12:50 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-10-2016/1748335_FullSizeRender_72.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Royal Poinciana
Year Created:
Medium: Pen/Ink
Surface: Fibre
Dimension: 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This work was created using a Suminagashi technique, floating ink on the surface of water to create interesting shape and color and then taking an impression of the ink onto a poly-suede fibre.

It is meant to be abstract, and the royal poinciana was something I found after the fabric dried- I only knew I liked the boldness of the orange.

There are 2 layers of ink on the poly-suede.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm looking for thoughts about the composition and areas of interest within the piece. I cannot "fix" things because adding extra ink beyond 2-3 layers creates dullness.

But I can re-crop the work smaller if needed. And it would help to have a more experienced eye provide composition feedback.

AudreyCatherine
08-10-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm not the critic of choice here. Palette is right up my alley=so all I can say is=exactly how did you do this? The agate rock style areas are great. Cropping bottom 1/3 works for me, but for you? thanks.

Karen519
08-11-2016, 12:16 PM
I use colored sumi ink & india ink and drop the ink onto a small piece of paper, floating in the water. When the ink hits the disk, it spreads large onto the surface of the water instead of sinking. It does dilute the colors to work this way, but I have been practicing different techniques to increase color saturation over the last 18 months.

I use hundreds of drops of ink, one inside the other, creating rings normally. But because I work outside in my garage, the wind blows and moves the ink around a lot. Then I move the ink around some more until I find an area that is very interesting. Once I find it, I have to move really quickly to catch it before it moves on. I lay a piece of fibre - silk, poly, paper, etc. down and it soaks up the ink.

Thanks for the cropping idea- I like it better that way too. Now if only custom size framing wasn't so expensive ;-)