PDA

View Full Version : What are Neutrals?

mickeyw3340
08-08-2016, 08:46 PM
I am in the process of organizing my pastels by hue and value.I read about folks segregating their neutral pastels. What are neutrals? I assume they are anything not associated with primary, secondary or tertiary colors? Yes No? Please explain.

mickeyw3340
08-08-2016, 08:59 PM
I am in the process of organizing my pastels by hue and value.I read about folks segregating their neutral pastels. What are neutrals? I assume they are anything not associated with primary, secondary or tertiary colors? Yes No? Please explain.

water girl
08-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Mickey, I'm going to move this to Pastel Talk. Don't worry, I'll leave an arrow indicating it has been moved.

DAK723
08-08-2016, 10:47 PM
In my mind, neutrals is just another term for grays (or greys). Of course, everyone may have a different view as to when a color is "neutralized" to the point where one would call it a gray, so it is a very general term. Others may define it differently.

Don

jackiesimmonds
08-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Agree with Don. If you have greys in your sets which you cannot easily put into a colour grouping....green greys, for example, could be put in with greens if you like...then those greys are neutrals.

most greys become VERY neutral when used alongside fully saturated colours, so it can be helpful to isolate all your so-called neutrals - pinky grey, purple grey, blue grey etc, and keep them together.

Moqui Steps
08-09-2016, 11:43 AM
I think that all Swiss pastels are neutral if I am not mistaken.

(Sorry couldn't resist the joke.)

Donna T
08-09-2016, 12:23 PM
But all neutral pastels are not necessarily Swiss. ;)

Like Jackie mentioned, I keep my neutral pastels separate from the rest. It's interesting how beautiful the neutrals look when they are grouped together and not competing for attention with their saturated cousins.

westcoast_Mike
08-09-2016, 02:57 PM
True story. I took one of Albert Handel’s Mentoring WS once. I was talking to one of the fellow Artist’s about other WS she had taken and one name I was familiar with came up. She indicated she liked him, until she found out he was color blind. Towards the end of the WS, I go by her rig and she is sitting there with a heartbroken look. She pointed to a part of the scene she was working on and asked if it looked grey to me. I looked at it, and it was one of those in between colors, not really red, not really brown… Then I laughed. I explained that a lot of Artist use the term grey, and neutral interchangeably.

She was quite a bit happier having learned that.

Mike L
08-22-2016, 01:28 PM
I think that all Swiss pastels are neutral if I am not mistaken.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

:lol: :lol: