GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: The Unsold Self Portrait
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8x6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Self portrait for practice. 45 min study. I was very out of practice for figures and have a larger work to do.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
No particular questions, but if you see something wrong technically please let me know.

La_
08-09-2016, 01:18 PM
love the application of paint! overall shapes seem fine.
he's defeated, tho, to me, a sad piece, rejection comes to mind.
is that intentional?

la

kin3
08-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Very good.

bocote
08-23-2016, 07:08 PM
You hit it La; I seem to be in the lows for a moment with all my painting. Thanks for checking it out.

Terriri
08-23-2016, 11:22 PM
I think this is really fantastic! It has a nice mood. Really like how you applied the paint...wish I knew how to do that. You are very talented! Hope you show more work.

truebeliever
08-29-2016, 03:06 AM
Hi Bryan,

If it sells, will you change the title? :)

Nothing technically wrong, except he doesn't have a butt or a hand.

I know that's not what you meant, but I am a skeptic when it comes to chatter about "right and wrong." I prefer to assume that everything is exactly how you meant to do it. Then, I feel like we can start talking about what is actually going on in a given artwork, rather than about so-called flaws and virtues.

The most interesting thing about this painting is that the subject is the male nude as recipient of the gaze. His head and body is turned away; his body language is submissive as evidenced by averted eyes and downturned head.

There is a privileging of bold, simplified marks throughout, save for the figure's neck and ear, which have received much more emphasis and concentration than any other area of the picture.

The rest of the figure has been accomplished with efficiency and exceedingly careful strokes of paint that resemble less a spontaneous burst of freedom than a measured decision.

The background is free, loose.

My over-all impression is that you want to express vulnerability but want to be viewed as a virtuoso -- a contradiction.

-TB

Yvonne Keogh
09-02-2016, 06:31 PM
I like all the colours in this and the sketchy style.
What is his left hand doing? No clues are given.

twinwaffle
09-08-2016, 04:14 PM
I really dig this. Particularly the elbow, oddly enough. Nice work!