PDA

View Full Version : Evening Prayer

Moving On
08-04-2016, 09:53 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-04-2016/1986594_CCF08042016.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Evening Prayer
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8X10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This has been a series of mistakes and my attempts to correct them. Starting with - it was meant to be dawn. It is pretty much out of my imagination loosely based on a morning at girl scout camp too many years ago to mention.
It looked more like dusk to me, so I changed the title. Will put the sun on the other side next time.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any. Specifically what can I do to get the water to look less like a gigantic hole in the ground?

~JMW~
08-04-2016, 11:55 AM
It might help to sketch out your painting composition on paper first . It just saves time and paint.. Some basic composition videos and online searches will help, hard to explain it all in a post..
water strokes usually should be level and straight side to side
water will usually reflect some sky colors
low sun will make long shadows.. like person shadow, tent shadows etc..

Moving On
08-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Thanks!

bocote
08-06-2016, 07:22 PM
This is a great work, but if you are interested in improving I would recommend copying some others work and thinking about what they did and how you want to do things. Do that for a couple 10 paintings or so and rough things on paper first then go with your painting. Keep at it and have fun,

Moving On
08-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Thanks. I actually started sketching something in for the August landscape challenge. Picked something (hopefully) easy. But I can see how copying someone's painting would help.