PDA

View Full Version : Early Morning with Dad

lisee
08-02-2016, 09:26 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/08-02-2016/1987071_early_morning_with_dad_08022016.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Early Morning with Dad
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 5x7
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Utilized an Image Reference from Wet Canvas. Added the boat. Completed on Canvas Paper / CanvasPaper

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Open to all feedback. I am still learning (only been painting for a few months).

Margaretta
08-03-2016, 05:29 AM
Hello Lisee! I like your soft colouring and the tranquillity you have achieved.:)
When I look at the painting two things hit me: your signature and the boat on the right side.
Maybe it's just me but I have a 'thing' about signatures which personally I think have nothing to do with the actual picture. In my personal opinion I would prefer they were on the back of the picture or at least hidden in some 'foliage'. I'm sure many artists disagree.:clear:
Now I know nothing of fishing or boats (I turn green on the local ferry!) but I would have used the WC reference library etc. to study them first. The fishing rods look very thick and heavy in proportion to the figures. Can they actually lift them?:eek:
Your title is 'Early Morning with Dad', a delightful idea, so why not put the boat and its occupants more central and larger to match the title.
I so like the sentiment and wish my dad had taken me fishing in a beautiful lake like this.

twinwaffle
08-03-2016, 05:35 AM
Mabye when framed the signature will be covered up anyway, but the boat and the signature being the same size and value, with nothing between them, it just gives me an unpleasant feeling.
...which is unfortunate because I think you superbly captured the feeling. the painting really does ooze a lovely, serene, calm peace, at least to me!

Not that I know what to do about it ha, just sharing my reaction. Good job,

Leanne

Jon
08-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Love that title.
It looks like a chilly morning.

lisee
08-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Thank you for all the feedback. I appreciate it. I too was concerned about the boat and the general right side.

leisure artist
08-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Love the tranquil scene but feel the boat needs to be positioned just off centre it is currently too near the edge of the canvas

bocote
08-06-2016, 07:14 PM
One of the most important things when starting a painting is getting the composition down. Generally I would recommend getting an idea and working it out roughly on paper or scrap to get the elements working together fluently. Your work here lacks a sound composition, but as you progress you'll have it mastered long before many other skills.

Keep experimenting and have fun,

elove
08-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Nice work, very well done capturing a misty, early morning. Agree with comments about the boat. The boat feels like it should be more prominent, bigger and more centered, this would also give you an opportunity to highlight the figures and show the relationship between them.

AudreyCatherine
08-09-2016, 01:56 AM
You handled water and reflective surface, shoreline, trees, boat, people,sky-:clap: that's a lot of items, so good not to expect it all to be 'just right' when starting out. Trees generally have branch growth that is species dependent. Were those branches truly that thick and at 45 degree angles upward?

Turn your paintings upside down and sideways while you are developing them. You will always see a lot that way. Then you may have noticed you and your dad and the boat look similar to an upside down beetle. Or that most conifer branches slope downward. (They would break from snow collecting otherwise).

Very good subject, probably worth redoing it once more, since you are on to a good subject and already can create the mood. Thanks!:cool:

SilverSwallow
08-09-2016, 04:06 AM
Lovely attempt and a nice idea on this piece. As you have stated that you are new to painting, let me offer you a few tips to help you out.

Firstly is perspective. You need to study and learn perspective. No matter what you do, and how many hours you spend painting something, if you dont have the skills to understand and execute a scene with perspective then you will never get better. I know this from personal experience. I have messed up so much work over the years due to skipping the fundamentals.

Before you start painting, make sure you have a good solid linework and perspective to help you along. After that, you will need to learn composition, value, and many other things. No matter what level you are, you will never stop learning.

I can truly see what you are trying to achieve here, in fact I can almost see how you envisioned this piece. learning and understanding the fundamentals will be your road to success and enable you to draw and paint from your imagination. Never be afraid of failure, and I wish you the best on your hopefully long and fun road in art.

northcanadian
08-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Looking good....almost has a watercolor touch. Sometimes looking at your own work in a mirror helps one to see composition irregularities....or a horizontal flip in Photoshop. Perhaps the boat could be a little closer in the foreground with a bit more detail and slightly warmer colors. the immediate foreground might help if there were a little more detail(?)