PDA

View Full Version : Crucifixion (continuation of the Christ theme)

PainterIlya
10-24-2003, 04:23 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-24-2003/28986_Raspyatie1.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Crucifixion (continuation of the Christ theme)
Year Created: 1999
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 0,45 * 0,35 m
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This drawing is continuation of the series my religious artworks.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
waiting your comments

http://Painterilya.narod.ru/indexE.htm

bloodjelly
10-24-2003, 07:06 AM
Great job. :clap: I like just about everything in this one. It'd be nice to see Christ's face a little better, and I don't know if it's me or the drawing, but somehow his head/upper torso area look as if they're on a slightly different plane than the cross. I just mention these because we're in the "critique" forum, but if I ever drew something half this nice I'd be ecstatic. Great composition, values, technique. Maybe a color version? :)

jerryW
10-24-2003, 08:06 AM
honestly I can't believe this is not in some cathedral, but also I find it strange that with all the emphasis on transcendence of suffering the world is so intolerant of independent vision.

I think it is neat that you did this - sad too.

impressionist2
10-24-2003, 10:42 AM
That is so Michelangelo, with the two figures holding up the ends of the cross bar. Has that been done before in a crucifixion scene? . Asking sincerely, as this is the first time I believe I have seen that occur, and love the effect.

Your work and dedication is amazing.

Renee

katelynalain
10-24-2003, 10:49 AM
hello PainterIlya,
i think you have incredible talent and ability. i have been enjoying your threads but havent said much. very dramatic and in touch with the history of religion in art. i have a hard time reading the facial expression of christ on this one but its not something i notice right away. composition works well. are you trying to be faithful to this theme for personal reasons or attempting the subject matter to be akin to the work of great historical painters? just curious about your motivations and inspiration. thanks!

Rabbit Twilight
10-24-2003, 11:11 AM
This is really wonderful. It is very moving, and well done.
I'm getting the feeling that the light areas around Christ are an attempt to show flesh to spirit. Could be wrong, but this is what I'm seeing.....this would explain the lack of detail in those areas. It's kind of a glowing light.
Thanks for sharing this excellent work.

Gilberte
10-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Seeing your paintings I'd like to ask you the same questions as Katelynalain.

tbezesky
10-24-2003, 11:42 PM
Wow! This is an incredible drawing. Very powerful and the figures flow so nicely.
I can't say enough about!
I will have to go look at your website!

wolvenp
10-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Ilya,

I also like the light that envelops the torso. The lack of definition in the face does not seem to bother me. When I look above Him, though, it seems there should be something more..not sure what! Maybe I am simply accustomed to those Renaissance paintings where the glorious skies pour down light. Perhaps something more dramatic up there that just the figures.

Also, "In the barn" has one of the nicest horses I have seen in a painting.

Dana Design
10-25-2003, 03:24 AM
This is amazing work! And the more I looked above the cross, the more figures I found. At first, I saw only three heavenly beings and the longer I looked, I found SIX faces. I'd love to see this in person!

You need an agent!
Dana

ArtistNamePending
11-08-2003, 07:42 AM
I absolutely love the perspective angle you have chosen. Very, very dramatic. I hope you turn this into an oil painting. I don't remember Jesus being bald though. Take some care with the left arm as its not anatomically congruent with the right arm.