PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to What's On Your Easel, August (PRT) 2016!!!!!

!becca
07-31-2016, 11:13 PM
Welcome to WOYE July 2016...Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils...everyone is welcome!!! :wave:

for a more complete critique post in the main forum

Keith Russell
08-01-2016, 02:57 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2016/1401-image.jpeg

Reliquary for a Spider, work in progress; 18 X 24 inches, oils on GessoBord. (And, of course, posting from my iPad means it's 90 degrees off. The top of the image is actually to your left...)

thevaliantx
08-01-2016, 03:57 AM
This is my second big piece, my first in oils.

punkmuppet
08-01-2016, 04:07 PM
I finished this today.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2016/984123-Billy2.jpg

Reliquary for a Spider. I love the name. I can't quite figure out what it is yet, a Chinese lantern? But I can't wait to see it finished.

Valiant, I like what you have so far.

thevaliantx
08-01-2016, 11:00 PM
punkpuppet, thank you. I'm liking painting large much more than painting smaller pieces.

Here is some progress from this afternoon.

Coastal
08-02-2016, 01:01 AM
punkp: Who is that? Someone famous?

George: You are gonna end up with a masterpiece!

Artyczar
08-02-2016, 08:39 PM
I like what you're working on George! Everyone is doing a great job.

Here's a sorta-kinda abstract I have been fussing with. It's actually pretty done. I just want to do another glazed layer for the sky, but I want to keep the rest the way it is. It's a bit different for me. I'll have to think of a good name. For now it's just called "Above Valley Blvd II." It's 24 x 18 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2016/24237-valley2572.jpg

nikielain
08-02-2016, 09:35 PM
This is something that a friend of mine requested. I can't exactly remember how, but eventually our conversation turned towards how funny it would be to have a dog portrait as a Prussian General :lol:

Delofasht
08-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Artyczar: That is an interesting style, graphic and yet almost purposefully imperfect with touches of the surreal.

Nikielain: That's fun AND amusing, I like it! This kind of thing could be extremely popular in many crowds.

anth_knight
08-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Nikielain, that's the bizarrest, and funniest, thing I've seen today! Look forward to seeing progress :)

Delofasht
08-03-2016, 11:16 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2016/34519-M_Scrb_8.jpg

Going to be painting over this today, I did it awhile back as a way to study what my colors could do, from which I learned just how versatile my palette could be, then I painted over it some, mixed some more colors around, mushed some things together, generally just made a mess. Fun times, taught me a great deal about what I could do with the palette so then I painted a lot of other stuff. These messy ones could easily be worked up into way more completed paintings, but that wasn't the purpose, so I'm ready to cover it all up and start a new. It's gonna be fun, I'll show ya where I'm at later with it. :)

Delofasht
08-03-2016, 01:45 PM
And now it's this instead:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2016/34519-M_Scrb_9.jpg

It's from a photo I found online, I've not yet got it near finished, but I can't add paint right now without removing more, so let it dry tonight and do some more on it tomorrow maybe.

As an alla prima this could well be considered complete honestly, but I'd much prefer to add some details and push the lighting more and get some texture to the image, there's a lot of sky lighting that's not showing right now and the pathway feels like it's not behind the rock on the right, so I'm gonna work on that stuff tomorrow, or later today if it sets up a bit (a few hours in the sun could let me work on it some more).

thevaliantx
08-04-2016, 05:19 AM
I had posted this elsewhere, but those in the Oil Painting forum here might like to see my progress.

Arty, how do you come up with the sections of colored vertical lines? Is there a pattern to it, a formula? I've thought of trying a limited palette approach by treating the palette as a clock, and using the date (at the time of first starting a painting) to select various colors and for mixing. My way of letting Mother Nature have her hand in my work. I don't know how you do your abstracts, they look great! I do shapes within shapes in real life, but for some reason I've yet to be able to translate that to paper.

Delo, what kind of substrate is that? I lover the organic nature of painting a section within the section of the material...you know, a rough sketch. I've thought of taking a blow dryer and seeing if that helps the oxidation process. Would it, or would the heat somehow destroy the painting? I say keep pushing the pieces until you reach the breaking point.

punkpuppet, is that a portrait of one of the Beatles members? Sorry if I got that wrong. I find it quite ironic that he has a small beard and a ton of hair on his head, and I have a big ol' landing strip down the middle of my head, and a big ol' Monet-style beard.

Keith, without looking in Google I don't know what Reliquary for a Spider is.

I wish there were more people posting their work in here. Maybe we can get AnnaLee and EAA to post here?

Are there other great knife painters on YouTube that I can look at besides Igor Sakrahov and Oleg Buiko?

Anyone here used RGH paints? They are sending me a sample of some colors, I thought I would give to my son. He doesn't like acrylics because of the fast drying times. We tried using KY Jelly as a retardent (per mention of someone in the Cafe chat thread), but it made no noticeable difference. I think there are retardents you can purchase that are made explicitly for acrylics. I think my son would enjoy playing with oils. The RGH paints come in jars, right?

Delofasht
08-04-2016, 09:06 AM
George: I too tend to push them to the point of breaking, it is okay anyhow, at least I will know the limitations of my supplies. A forced air heat gun or hair dryer may accelerate the initial drying process but probably not by enough to tack up or skin over in only a few minutes, it would likely still take at least an hour or two with it being on it. Well at a decent range, because I doubt it would be a good idea to use it very close. The kind of rocks I am painting are a kind of sedimentary rocks, this one from a random photo in the library of interesting pictures I have saved from the internet I believe. Being a sketch, I just painted it on the prepared paper I happen to have a bunch of lying around.

Ya know, I bet a heated fan would work pretty well in a very sun lit room for accelerating drying though. For this time of year that just means opening a window and the blinds, it is hot as Texas in spring up here lately, easily in the 90s most days of the week.

thevaliantx
08-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Delo, I know the feeling. Yesterday it was 99 degrees here in Kentucky, with a heat index of 113 :eek: I simply can not go into the studio unless the ceiling fan is running, the little fan in the window is sucking out air, the door is open AND it isn't scorching outside. This house we rent is very poorly insulated. And when I try dragging my art supplies out of the studio into the rest of the house it just becomes a best mess, waiting for disaster to happen. I've already had a situation of one of the cats walking on my palette and running from room to room on brand new carpet. Unfortunately for her she has white paws, so no need for a trial by jury. ;)

donovansbrain
08-05-2016, 04:57 AM
I don't have any pics yet, but I am trying to do a small 8 x 10 copy (not exact) of a Seurat landscape with 3 houses. After doing the abstracts, I decided to try it. I haven't "painted" in a long time, so it's a challenge for me. :confused:

PS- I love the work of everyone so far on the new thread. :)

mtpalms
08-05-2016, 09:20 PM
This is what I have been working on all week. It is fun, but more detail than even I am used too! I just didn't feel like sharing it until I got at least this far.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4476.jpeg

Artyczar
08-06-2016, 02:39 AM
Marcia: I love your new one! What size is it?

nikielain: Your doggie portrait is out of this world! It brought a huge smile to my face (long time needed too).

Delo: It's great how you play with paint, layer it and get that wonderful texture. Keep going. Love seeing the progress. And thank you for your nice observations on my painting so far.

George: I have to say, your painting is coming along so great - best thing I've seen from you yet. It's kind of a Monet! I like your idea about the palette clock. I really don't have a formula. The section with the colored stripes was totally spontaneous. The painting seemed to call for something interesting and busy/colorful in just that little area for me. For this particular abstract, it comes from a photograph I took of a hillside neighborhood. I tried painting it once before but it didn't turn out how I wanted it (too literal), so this is my second attempt. Thanks for your kind words! :)

By the way, it's been so hot here too! Last week it hit 105! It's still been hot, but not as bad as last week, and this week we've had a lot of humidity - rare for LA. I guess it's bad all over. Marcia, what's it been like there? I hope it cools down a bit by the time I get there.

mtpalms
08-06-2016, 04:17 AM
Thank you Carol! It is 24" x 24"

When it is 95°Here, and it feels cool? Means the humidity is dropping. It sounds like it has been cooler here than LA. :clear: I can't make any guarantees for September, but I will keep my fingers crossed. It is a different sort of climate here. Forecast for this coming week is highs of 95, but lows around 65. Humidity around 19%, that is the most important thing. Let's hope the weatherman isn't pulling my chain...

Owl369
08-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Ballerina. This is a 11x14" wip painting. I have been experimenting a lot lately with oils, watercolor and other media but oils are still me favorite. I do have a problem though and that is that I tend to procrastinate to start with a painting because I still feel quite intimidated by oils. Maybe it's because I tend to overthink my strategy or maybe I just suffer from artist block. Anyway I hope you like it.

Also thank you to all the artists on this forum who have helped in my adventurous art journey. My goal is to become a professional artist one day. I'm in my mid thirties but I guess age doesn't matter :)

mtpalms
08-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Very well proportioned and graceful, great start!

Owl369
08-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Thank you :) This is my first upload. I'm quite new to oil painting and I have been experimenting a lot. I've learned so much on this forum. So grateful for all the people posting their advice and tips.

I always get nervous doing backgrounds cause I tend to spoil my artwork (especially watercolor). I'll see how this one works out :)

Artyczar
08-06-2016, 05:58 PM
Well, I redid the sky how I want - I am waiting for this layer to dry so I can do one last thing to it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2016/24237-valley2672.jpg

I will be scratching lines into it like this and this is what it will look like finished! (This is Photoshopped for now):

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2016/24237-valley2672withline.jpg

I'm starring at it and perhaps I've been looking at it for too long (need a break), but I feel like it might need something more...sometimes I don't know when to walk away. "Abstract" is all about the right decisions.

I don't consider this an abstract per se. It's a bit representational. Or maybe it is abstract. Everything is abstract when you think about it - I guess.

Robincat
08-06-2016, 06:07 PM
This is one I just started from a photo, but loved how the stippling on the field ended up with the contrast to the far mountains..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2016/1171624-IMG_2824.JPG there is going to be a tree and sunlight coming through the storm ......

Coastal
08-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Carol,
I like the green flow lines that make up the background

thevaliantx
08-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Arty, maybe tie the colored bars in with the squiggly lines from the background? The big blue path down the middle needs something, IMO. If you had squiggly lines in the foreground, maybe attached to the house, and had colored bars at the other end of the blue pathway, you would create an infinite visual loop (triangle composition).

donovansbrain
08-08-2016, 05:37 AM
This is one I just started from a photo, but loved how the stippling on the field ended up with the contrast to the far mountains..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2016/1171624-IMG_2824.JPG there is going to be a tree and sunlight coming through the storm ......
I like this. Moody weather is the best. :) I hope to do a similar foreground on my 8 x 10. And Owl369, I am also experimenting as I go along. I'm slow and may be overthinking, but I'd rather take my time and get it how I want.

thevaliantx
08-08-2016, 11:30 AM
If you find the photo in the RIL, please DO NOT post the photo in here. It's a wonderful photo by Doug, I would not be able to compare favorably.

Artyczar
08-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Robincat, great painting! All the stippling you did really pays off.

Thank you John, for the compliment.

George, thank you for the very enlightening feedback. I in fact tried those ideas in Photoshop, and some other ideas like it, and didn't like what it was doing to the overall composition. After sleeping on it, I decided after I put that white line in, I need to leave it alone. That large dark grey area needs to breathe, stay simple and empty, all the way to the bottom of the panel, IMO.

LilliCC
08-08-2016, 03:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2016/1973720-The_Beginning_with_inspiration.jpg

Here is what I did the first 2 evenings in August... :music:
The photo is my inspiration, because my imagination is limited to cooking! lol

AnnieA
08-08-2016, 03:20 PM
After sleeping on it, I decided after I put that white line in, I need to leave it alone. That large dark grey area needs to breathe, stay simple and empty, all the way to the bottom of the panel, IMO.

Yes. A white line will be just right to slightly break up the gray shape in the foreground, which I think it needs. That should work very well I also started ro suggest that you should make sure the line is at an angle, not straight downas I thought a straight vertical line would be too static, composition-wise, but on second thought, I'm not so sure. I'm just mentioning it as something to think about. Interesting painting, Carol.

Robin, George and Lily, it looks like a great start on all of these!

LilliCC
08-08-2016, 03:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2016/1973720-Getting_there....jpg

This is the second week in August.... :confused:
Zoikes! It's sideways! Anyway... I don't do still life, or rather, I never have... so mum likes flowers, so I will give it to HER! lol

Delofasht
08-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Owl: Looking good so far, love the pose and the rhythms of the pattern of light and shadow on the forms of her arms and legs. Keep up the good work.

Robincat: This is going to be really good I can see that already, moody skies are among my favorites!

Marcia: The details are fascinating in this one, the patterns and little personal touches on this trailer are so fun.

Artyczar: Thanks for the positive encouragement, I do like building up these stroke effects in my work, and not all at once either. Sometimes I get some excellent little happy accidents where a shape will arise and have me making it into various little painted in elements as well, like highlights on a rock or representing a window or building or any number of other fun things like that.

LilliCC: Super detailed stuff that, looks like fun. I have recently developed a love for copying as a way to relax. It sometimes does not feel very creative as I am not making many choices, but I do not feel taxed or tired from the work either. It is almost like my personal therapy, where if I just need to blow off some steam I can throw a panel up and start copying something and boom all stress goes away.

Artyczar
08-08-2016, 04:58 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if I've made myself clear about that white line? I'm going to be scratching in a white line into the the sky like this, and then do nothing more. I like it like this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2016/24237-valley2672compare.jpg

I want to leave that path alone.

Anyway, I have to wait for the sky to dry a little first.

Thank you guys for your input! :wave:

Artyczar
08-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Lilli: Great painting! Even on its side :)

AnnieA
08-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if I've made myself clear about that white line? I'm going to be scratching in a white line into the the sky like this, and then do nothing more. I like it like this.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2016/24237-valley2672compare.jpg

I want to leave that path alone.

Anyway, I have to wait for the sky to dry a little first.

Thank you guys for your input! :wave:

Ah, I see what you meant now. It looks like a road to me. Like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2016/85002-Screenshot_2016-08-08-13-57-00.jpg
I just posted the above to show you what I meant, but realize that is apparently not your vision for it at all...and actually, your thin, angled white line (second option) in the sky works fine on it's own. The first image you posted just needed something.

Artyczar
08-08-2016, 07:58 PM
Hi Annie, That looks nice too, but I think I'm still going to leave it alone. It's actually hard to walk away from it. But I'm making myself do it. But you never know, I may use you idea if I can't sleep...I may obsess on it enough. We'll see. :lol:

Rastermon
08-09-2016, 02:31 PM
I've been on and off this for 2 months now... from a BW photo my grandfather took in Leadville, Colorado 1915. Still needs a lot of work, that's a band playing - tubas and trumpets to add. The girl in the red coat has something wrong with her figure. 18"x24"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2016/981826-1915_08_08WC.jpg

Coastal
08-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Rob, There is a lot to like in your painting.
And to paint this from your granfathers 1915 photo Wow!
I do see the issue with the girl.
Even if it's true to the photo it's untrue for the eye.
Her elbow joints are thrown off by the jacket

mtpalms
08-09-2016, 02:56 PM
This is a great painting, must be a terrific reference photo!

My take on the girl, is that the perspective on her right (our left) shoulder needs corrected. As with nearly every figure rendering, the correction is very subtle.

I did this in Photoshop, does it look more correct?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2016/208394-981826-1915_08_08WC_copy.jpeg
Original:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2016/208394-981826-1915_08_08WC.jpeg

Rastermon
08-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks for your feedback! Here is my reference.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2016/981826-gramps.jpg

AnnieA
08-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Rob, what a cool idea for a painting! I think there are two minor problems with the girl in the orange tweed coat. First, her left shoulder does not match her right. As painted, it's not as wide and thus makes her posture appear slightly twisted. And second, adding to the slightly twisted look, the lapel doesn't seem to be placed correctly. I get the impression that the coat is double breasted, and in that case, the "v" where the two lapels meet needs to be higher, which can be easily done by making the lapel on her right made just slightly wider. Anyway, that's my take it. My rough suggestions shown in rust color here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2016/85002-981826-1915_08_08WC.jpg

Marcia (mtpalms) may have had the same idea, but it looks like her posting of the original image may have overwritten the image with her proposed changes.

EDITED TO ADD: OK, we must have crossposted and now I see the original photo. It looks like her shoulders are higher in relation to her head and that the lapels are much wider. It clearly is a double breasted coat. Also, I see that the distant brick building is much darker. I think if you will reflect that in the painting, it will put more emphasis on the figures in the foreground. (Maybe that was your plan; if so, please forgive the unsolicited advice.)

I just love your painting, Rob! I can't wait to see what more you do with it. :)

Rastermon
08-09-2016, 04:00 PM
Thanks Annie and Mtpalms! Mtpalms, your change was so subtle, I had to compare it on another layer in Photoshop. But you are both right in the changes to the girl. Overall, I know the negative space is quite difference from the photo.

donovansbrain
08-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Rastermon, I love the painting. The buildings have an Edward Hopper look. Looking forward to the finish. :)

thevaliantx
08-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Robert, that' s a beautiful and emotional scene you've got going there!

LilliCC, don't worry about your lack of imagination. I have the same problem. I do dream vividly, but that's a by-product of not getting adequate sleep. I've YET to figure out how to get down on canvas, let alone with a pencil on paper, what I dream. You're doing just fine, I'm a big fan of floral paintings.

I spent about 2 hours on this one.

thevaliantx
08-10-2016, 02:42 AM
I worked on this painting for about an hour.

Rastermon
08-10-2016, 03:05 PM
Nice structure and texture Thomas, flat and deep at the same time.

jobr
08-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Almost finished the "Teufelsbruecke" (Devils-Bridge).
According to a legend, the swiss natives took the help of the devil to build the first version of this bridge. As fee the devils wanted the soul of the first one who crossed the bridge. . . and the clever swiss sent a goat as the first guest over it. . . I dont know the end, but I think the devil was not amused :evil:

So, here is my fantasy version of the bridge:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2016/1969268-Teufelsbruecke.JPG

DraconianMike
08-10-2016, 06:12 PM
thevaliantx: I love everything you've posted thus far. Something about the texture, color, abstraction of form...draws me right in. Very nice.

So, this is something that has been on and off my easel for about two months now.

mtpalms
08-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Oooh, some very nice fantastical pieces!

Finally got the canvas covered on this one, and worked a little on the details.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4480.jpeg
I see one small area where the perspective is off, but that's easy to fix.

Temple888
08-10-2016, 07:23 PM
This is something that a friend of mine requested. I can't exactly remember how, but eventually our conversation turned towards how funny it would be to have a dog portrait as a Prussian General :lol:
Can not wait until you finish

Rastermon
08-11-2016, 03:36 AM
I worked on the suggested changes I think it helped :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2016/981826-leadvillered.jpg

mtpalms
08-11-2016, 11:46 AM
I think you got it! I am looking forward to seing your continued progress.

donovansbrain
08-11-2016, 08:44 PM
Well, guys, this didn't quite came out the way I expected. I call it 'Star Trails.'
I don't think I'm going to do this size anymore (12 x 18) as I feel it is a tremendous waste of paint with the scraping technique.
I don't know how John Jurisich can afford it with his big canvasses.
I surely can't.
My next size will be 5 x 7 or so.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2016/1967019-STAR_TRAILS.JPG

mtpalms
08-11-2016, 09:12 PM
Having watched a couple of his videos, it may go fast, but they are labor and paint intensive, that's for sure! Have you considered knifing the paint outwards to break up the concentric circles? somehow, I don't think you'd lose the spinning effect, but I could be very wrong about that. :angel:

Sort of off topic, but we are watching the meteor showers tonight. Prime time for seeing the 'Outburst' here in SoCal is after the moon sets at 1 AM. Light pollution is minimal out here, so it ought to be spectacular!

I think I would stick with smaller sizes too, until I got the hang of it (or won the lottery and spent it all on buckets of paint). I really like this technique though, the results are truly jewel-like.

mtpalms
08-11-2016, 10:40 PM
For the first time in a long time, I was more excited at the end of my session as when I started. It has been exactly a month since I set this one aside to work on a couple others. I need to work faster/longer.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4482.jpeg

Artyczar
08-12-2016, 03:22 PM
These are all wonderful! :) You guys inspire my brains out!!!!

I too am always telling myself to work faster/longer, but it takes as long as it takes I think.

thevaliantx
08-12-2016, 05:14 PM
donovansbrain, not sure if you're only into impasto or not, but .... maybe try diluting your paint with oil and continuing to use the palette knife to spread the paint further. When that dries (and it will rather quickly) do another layer. I think the dirty secret with these artists who paint on such large surfaces is that they have money at their disposal from some source outside of art. They'll never admit to that. ;)

thevaliantx
08-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Been working on this some.

donovansbrain
08-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Having watched a couple of his videos, it may go fast, but they are labor and paint intensive, that's for sure! Have you considered knifing the paint outwards to break up the concentric circles? somehow, I don't think you'd lose the spinning effect, but I could be very wrong about that. :angel:

Sort of off topic, but we are watching the meteor showers tonight. Prime time for seeing the 'Outburst' here in SoCal is after the moon sets at 1 AM. Light pollution is minimal out here, so it ought to be spectacular!

I think I would stick with smaller sizes too, until I got the hang of it (or won the lottery and spent it all on buckets of paint). I really like this technique though, the results are truly jewel-like.
Thank you, mtpalms. I don't know why I went in circles, but I thought it might look interesting. I was disappointed that it didn't pick up the colors underneath. That was what I was really looking for. I don't think I can do any more with it now as the paint has started to skin up already. As usual though, the photo doesn't do the color justice and it looks way better in real life. Digital cameras really aren't all they're cracked up to be IMO. Mama, I really miss my Kodachrome. I have 3 small hardboards all primed and ready. We love the meteor showers too up here. Clear skies so far after so many cloudy days this summer.

donovansbrain
08-12-2016, 07:14 PM
donovansbrain, not sure if you're only into impasto or not, but .... maybe try diluting your paint with oil and continuing to use the palette knife to spread the paint further. When that dries (and it will rather quickly) do another layer. I think the dirty secret with these artists who paint on such large surfaces is that they have money at their disposal from some source outside of art. They'll never admit to that. ;)
Thank you. The thing with this technique is that all the layers/colors have to work together for blending. I did find that after squeezing the paint from the tube that it's a good idea to mush it up first with the palette knife as this softens it up some. Jurisich puts it right on the knife from the tube. I'm pretty sure he receives paint endorsements. :thumbsup:

donovansbrain
08-12-2016, 07:15 PM
PS- All you guys' work on page 4 looks amazing. :thumbsup:

mtpalms
08-12-2016, 07:33 PM
Thank you, mtpalms. I don't know why I went in circles, but I thought it might look interesting. I was disappointed that it didn't pick up the colors underneath. That was what I was really looking for. I don't think I can do any more with it now as the paint has started to skin up already. As usual though, the photo doesn't do the color justice and it looks way better in real life. Digital cameras really aren't all they're cracked up to be IMO. Mama, I really miss my Kodachrome. I have 3 small hardboards all primed and ready. We love the meteor showers too up here. Clear skies so far after so many cloudy days this summer.

I wonder if that may be because you didn't go in cross directions? I am just speculating having watched only a few of the videos.

You are right, the camera doesn't do most paintings justice, and lots of amazing work on page 4!

I found an image of the blue and white trailer I like better, so I am starting a new one. Only getting the sky in so far, and the clouds look kinda muddy. :o

Kory
08-13-2016, 12:26 AM
Hi guys, long time no talk. I just did this one, first time painting in months. I made a tutorial video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJzb245LLyk

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2016/986612-scene.jpg

Delofasht
08-13-2016, 01:37 AM
So much great work and I can't even comment on it all. . . just not enough hours in the day.

Glad to see you are doing some wondeful (and tiny) painting again there Kory.

I just threw this up on my easel to burn up a bit of the quickly drying paint i had left on my palette (had to step away from a larger painting I'm working on yesterday and got back today with the palette nearly dried out :( ). Luckily I've got a brain full of pictures from my picnic with my family yesterday so I'm plucking some memories from there to paint a little.

For this one I'm starting in reds and yellows with touches of white though the final result will be mostly greens and purples. The colors I picked are nice because they all dry pretty quick. I painted over an old unfinished portrait I was working on as a study. It's done on a 6" square gessobord (by Ampersand), that's got 2 or 3 paintings under it that I've already painted over (last one was heavily blues).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2016/34519-FullSizeRender_44_s.jpg

Probably put some more work on it in the next few days as other colors on my palette begin to dry out, and probably refer to my references more. I can see a lot in it that leads me to think that when I do more it's going to be pretty alright. There are some textures on the board that are kind of visually disrupting to my image right now but I think it'll work with the leaves I'm planning to put in this one.

wdaniels
08-13-2016, 10:14 AM
My latest. still some finishing touches to do:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2016/1054932-13925653_1188061111214893_9202776897840451925_o.jpg

mtpalms
08-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Hi Kory! It is good to hear from you and see that you are still painting!

MatildaArt!
08-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Rastermon, I can't wait to see this finished😊

mtpalms
08-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Hi guys, long time no talk. I just did this one, first time painting in months. I made a tutorial video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJzb245LLyk

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2016/986612-scene.jpg
I really enjoyed your tutorial! Not only is the painting done well, but you show your technique really well too. I also checked out your website, and your developmemt in the last couple of years has just been amazing! Congratulations! :clap:

Your video makes me want to go out and do some plein air work!

donovansbrain
08-13-2016, 07:58 PM
I really enjoyed your tutorial! Not only is the painting done well, but you show your technique really well too. I also checked out your website, and your developmemt in the last couple of years has just been amazing! Congratulations! :clap:

Your video makes me want to go out and do some plein air work!

I agree. :)

donovansbrain
08-13-2016, 07:59 PM
My latest. still some finishing touches to do:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2016/1054932-13925653_1188061111214893_9202776897840451925_o.jpg
Beautiful.

thevaliantx
08-14-2016, 04:02 AM
Looking great, Donovan.

thevaliantx
08-14-2016, 05:29 AM
Started this one tonight, oil on stretched canvas. 10 x 8 photo reference courtesy of Google StreetView (Norway)

Delofasht
08-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Looking really good now Wayne, great variety in the greens, they can be hard to do sometimes without it feeling overpoweringly green.

George, really nice work so far, the windows are particularly interesting right now, feels like they are already showing a lot of reflections of sky, trees, and buildings.

mtpalms
08-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Great start, love the color combination. What is the blue color to the left?

anth_knight
08-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Nearly finished this one...just needs some work on the tyre, and I might add some grass below the wheel. Several years in the making!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/58_440_sixpack/paintings/lotus_cortina_14_8_16_zps5wxn2fck.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/58_440_sixpack/media/paintings/lotus_cortina_14_8_16_zps5wxn2fck.jpg.html)

mtpalms
08-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Wow Anth, that is great, I think you pulled it off!

donovansbrain
08-15-2016, 03:54 AM
I wanted to repost this after doing some color adjustments on the pic.
The first one was a God-awful blue.
At least here you can see some of the colors that actually came through.
Still not that clear of a pic, though. I also rotated it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2016/1967019-STAR_TRAILS2.jpg

thevaliantx
08-15-2016, 05:10 AM
mtpalms, that blue is where I got carried away in blocking in where some flowers will go. How should something like this be done? I've read that you should always paint 'something' in the areas connected to what you're working on. Is painting in the blue and then scraping it away when I'm ready to put in some flowers a good method, or is it just a waste of paint? (I'm only beginning to become cognizant of these sorts of things in developing a painting)

Delo, do you think the windows look amateurish? Do they look like they should be tidied up a bit, or will I 'lose something' if I fix things? In this painting, for the first time, I am treating the sky as not just something that is above everything, but something that can be seen through or reflected by other things.

Delofasht
08-15-2016, 10:53 AM
George the windows read very well right now, not amateurish at all. The key to how they will look in the end though is based on how detailed everything else ends up being. I have found painting to be a lot of relative relationships, as some things become more detailed be sure to look at the parts that were successful earlier to make sure they still work. I try to avoid bringing anything to a finished level before working on another area, usually results in my having to rework areas that were done, sometimes completely changing the colors of some details.

My preference is to paint over the colors that I use as placeholders rather than scrape them off. The blue stands out to remind you that something should be there which I think is good, if specks of it show through when painted over it might be interesting.

mtpalms
08-15-2016, 12:02 PM
Donovansbrain, the new photo makes a world of difference! At thispint, as you said, it is skinned over and cannot be changed, but I think you might try another one in a similar way, and experiment with the amounts of and placement of piigment.

George, I agree with Delo about painting over, rather than scraping. If you feel the blue is too dense, you can creat holes in the foliage and break it up a bit, using the dark green you used elsewhere. I have heard of painters putting in a complimentary color, scraping, and by doing that enhancing the color that goes over the top.

Very intuitive of you to bring the blue down through the painting! The sky is indeed reflected throughout a scene, so putting blue in logical places (usually reflected shadows like your walls, and glass and water reflections), can be key in pulling a piece together. I am really excited to see how far you take this piece.

donovansbrain
08-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Donovansbrain, the new photo makes a world of difference! At thispint, as you said, it is skinned over and cannot be changed, but I think you might try another one in a similar way, and experiment with the amounts of and placement of piigment.
Thanks, mtpalms. I will try that on the next smaller version. :lol:

donovansbrain
08-15-2016, 04:09 PM
Nearly finished this one...just needs some work on the tyre, and I might add some grass below the wheel. Several years in the making!

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/58_440_sixpack/paintings/lotus_cortina_14_8_16_zps5wxn2fck.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/58_440_sixpack/media/paintings/lotus_cortina_14_8_16_zps5wxn2fck.jpg.html)
The reflection actually looks like a wide angle shot of a high speed car or motorcycle (Isle Of Mann) flying down the road. :)

thevaliantx
08-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Thank you Delo and mtpalms! I'll leave it. I should mention that the flowers are pretty far from the foilage. My son thought that adding in the foilage (a tree whose leaves come down in front of the whole scene) would make it too busy. I thought it would 'enclose' the whole scene, but I'm thinking my son is right.

Donovan, that's a very nice reflection. It looks even better when you stare at it. Quite the optical illusion.

RAdauto3
08-15-2016, 10:18 PM
Hi everyone, here's what's on my easel for the week. I'm trying to finish an 8x10 (A4) every week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2016/1987897-IMAG1968_1.jpg

Delofasht
08-15-2016, 11:42 PM
That's some challenge! Not sure if I could manage a decent one each week. :lol: good luck, and really hope to see them all.

anth_knight
08-16-2016, 08:32 AM
The reflection actually looks like a wide angle shot of a high speed car or motorcycle (Isle Of Mann) flying down the road. :)

That's the joys of a fan brush! Can get motion blur with ease :)

thevaliantx
08-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Spent about 30 minutes on this today.

Delofasht
08-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Nice George, it is beginning to get a wonderful sense of depth and the architecture is becoming more solid and grounded. Think it will be quite the winner as it continues to develop.

I am working on something but am a bit far from sharing it just yet, it is a present so I want to get it delivered before I share, and is likely to take me about a month more to complete. This is such a busy time of year, getting the offspring prepared for school and all.

thevaliantx
08-18-2016, 02:53 AM
Thanks, Delo. I'm finally starting to spend more time on my pieces. It used to be about 2 hours a piece, in pastels, but I think that even now it would be more time in that medium. As we see more, we do more.

I worked on this one some tonight. I'm getting sloppy. Sticky paint with a knife. My favorite type of brush is the filbert.

Delofasht
08-18-2016, 11:45 AM
The time you are spending on them is really showing, I can look at your work from a year ago to now and see a big difference already. My favorite brush type is a flat, use them long enough they turn into brights or filberts (depending on whether you paint more with the corners or the flat side of the brush), and they have a huge range of possible stroke types. If I didn't use flat, there is a likelihood more time would be spent with a knife to get sharp edges.

Rastermon
08-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Crystal Mill in Colorado 20"x24" oil on canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2016/981826-Crystal01.jpg

Delofasht
08-18-2016, 05:58 PM
Nice work Rastermon! I like where this one is at right now, looking forward to seeing it come together.

thevaliantx
08-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Been working on this some.

midwest
08-18-2016, 11:01 PM
Rastermon, your Colorado painting is very nice. Is the water painted in Perylene black?

midwest
08-18-2016, 11:04 PM
George, love the aerial view composition

mtpalms
08-18-2016, 11:38 PM
All this wonderful loose painting, and here I hit like a ton of hard edged bricks! :lol: I pushed myself to get the canvas covered today. That makes 5 in process, now to choose which one I want to work on next. Maybe even finish!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4547.jpeg

Delofasht
08-19-2016, 01:04 AM
Well let's add some more looseness shall we Marcia?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2016/34519-FullSizeRender_46.jpg

This is where that wild red mess is at now, used those reds as a map to work this up. I'm going to be working on it again sometime to build up some depth again because it is looking flat from the lack of range in values. The color of the trees will certainly get anohter pass and I'll put some hard edges back in (not everywhere though).

Now then Marcia, I really do like your detailed work, and this most recent one has a wonderful angle on it and fantastic color, the blue on it is so vibrant. Also, the whole of it looks very relaxed and homey, were it not for having a family I would probably live in one of those. Well that or a cave, only to be seen in town when trying to sell my paintings. :lol:

anth_knight
08-19-2016, 09:52 AM
All this wonderful loose painting, and here I hit like a ton of hard edged bricks! :lol: I pushed myself to get the canvas covered today. That makes 5 in process, now to choose which one I want to work on next. Maybe even finish!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4547.jpeg

Five at once! I can't even manage one! Looking forward to seeing progress on this one, loving it so far :)

mtpalms
08-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Thank you Anth and Delo!

5 at once is how I used to work, ages ago, but life had other ideas. I have consolidated and let go of a few commitments, so I can finally paint on nearly a daily basis, not just grab a couple hours here and there. I have 2 galleries and a studio tour coming up in October, so there are many walls to be filled.

Glad you like this one. The little sign with the heart says "Bien Venido" on it, well it will, anyway. With thatm the rugs, plants, etc, I was hoping to create a welcoming atmosphere.

Delo, I will have to go back in the thread and see your progress on this one. The bright light hitting it at angle makes it hard to make out though, because of the texture. One of the perils of photographing paintings, unfortunately.

Delofasht
08-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Getting a picture of the tiny thing sometime other than the middle of the night might help my situation too. :lol: I have a plan for it all, though it looks like a hodge podge of colors and shapes, it really is a fun way of painting. Something deeply gratifying about just laying down random shapes and colors here or there and suddenly having an image that makes sense in the end (somewhat makes sense at least :lol:).

mtpalms
08-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Oh I like it! I am seeing a forest scene: fallen trunk over a steep fallen away bank, but also the path alongside, giving the viewer 2 paths out of the picture. Definitely a painting that fuels the imagination.

Delofasht
08-19-2016, 11:47 AM
Oh good, it's reading as intended so far then. It is based on a real location, a local park that has a creek and some wooded areas, lots of shade. I really liked the place, it seems almost magical.

anth_knight
08-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Another one done - and photographed badly :) Will scan it when it's dry...

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/58_440_sixpack/paintings/lotus_cortina_19_8_16_zpsqezrt5co.jpg (http://s267.photobucket.com/user/58_440_sixpack/media/paintings/lotus_cortina_19_8_16_zpsqezrt5co.jpg.html)

Anth.

NancyMP
08-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Marcia. that scene is soooo appealing, and it makes the artistic heart long for a simple and homey setting. You've really said a lot with a little in this one, and I'll bet it sells quickly!

mtpalms
08-19-2016, 03:48 PM
Thank you Nancy. :)

Anth, it turned out beautifully, well done!

mtpalms
08-19-2016, 04:23 PM
I did some glazing on this one. The shadow of the Joshua Tree, obviously, and hopefully some that is not so obvious.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4549.jpeg

I am not sure if it is done yet.

moscatel
08-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Marcia, I like it! I like the way it is now, looks finished to me. What size is it? I saw you were interested in cloud refs, did you take a look at AMAE pics this weekend by lisilk (the 7th pic).

Rastermon
08-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Fabulous job on that rubber embossing and lettering, Anth. You have a perfect rendition of the dry rubber.

Loving your camper series mtpalms!

Rastermon
08-19-2016, 08:02 PM
Another night on this 24"x20"
iPhone photo in morning light.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2016/981826-crystal2WC.jpg

mtpalms
08-19-2016, 09:39 PM
Marcia, I like it! I like the way it is now, looks finished to me. What size is it? I saw you were interested in cloud refs, did you take a look at AMAE pics this weekend by lisilk (the 7th pic).

Thanks for mentioning the cloud refs, I will go take a look. The white trailer piece is 24" x 30" (61x76cm)

This one was signed a few months ago, and hanging in the gallery when I realized I hadn't put in the flagpole. I guess it is true that viewers fill in the blanks, because no one noticed!

I finally got around to putting it in, and I guess I was in a touch up mood, because I spent the afternoon adding highlights and doing a little glazing.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4556.jpeg
This one is 24" x 36"

Michaelshane
08-19-2016, 09:49 PM
I did some glazing on this one. The shadow of the Joshua Tree, obviously, and hopefully some that is not so obvious.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4549.jpeg

I am not sure if it is done yet.

I love it.I think it's done.

mtpalms
08-19-2016, 10:02 PM
Thank you Michael, that settles it. It's done! :)

Michaelshane
08-19-2016, 10:35 PM
I need a like button.

mtpalms
08-19-2016, 10:41 PM
I belong to another forum (not art related), that has a like button. It is nice when you like a post, but don't want or need to reply.

thevaliantx
08-20-2016, 08:14 AM
Rastermon, that's looking really good. Nice values in the trees and the building. I'm having trouble with the waterfall portion of the painting. The water, to my eyes, looks too opaque, too thick. I'm imagining that I would be able to see more of the rocks behind the water.

mtpalms, I bet you were mortified to see the pole missing. Were you glancing both ways to check out the reactions? :lol:

Michael, walk away from that thing! :thumbsup:

Worked for about 2 hours on this, woke up at 4am with this piece on my mind.

mtpalms
08-20-2016, 11:41 AM
mtpalms, I bet you were mortified to see the pole missing. Were you glancing both ways to check out the reactions? :lol:

Oh gosh, yes! I had done an underpainting of the truck first, so there was a hint of a pole there, so that may have been enough. I have also forgotten to paint the bottom of a gallery wrapped canvas too. :clear:

You are right about Rastermon's piece, although it is a WIP, so maybe he has not done much with it yet. The waterfall needs some color like the pond, so the roiling water stands out. You have done a marvelous job on the pond Rastermon, the water is very convincing.

donovansbrain
08-21-2016, 04:41 AM
Excellent work on this page. How I long to see the desert again. :)

I really didn't want to post this. It's a smaller version and more of an experiment. I still feel it's a lot of wasted paint, so I am going to go even smaller, maybe 5 x 5 inches.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2016/1967019-NUMBER_4_2.JPG

docsaro
08-21-2016, 12:37 PM
'Kalingarayan canal'

Work in progress!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2016/198137-IMG_20160821_193720.jpg

Delofasht
08-21-2016, 03:06 PM
donovan, love the colors, I could see so much potential in that being like a glowing lake under a firey sky.

docsaro, that's a stunning piece you have going there.

donovansbrain
08-21-2016, 08:42 PM
donovan, love the colors, I could see so much potential in that being like a glowing lake under a firey sky.

docsaro, that's a stunning piece you have going there.

Thanks, Delofasht. Sounds like a plan. :)
I agree on docsaro's painting too. Beautiful.

Rastermon
08-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Great reflections docsaro!
Thanks George and mtpalms for the feedback. The waterfall was one of the first things I laid down - and very thick. I'll try to add some color and dimension.
Rob

mathmad
08-23-2016, 03:41 AM
Another night on this 24"x20"
iPhone photo in morning light.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Aug-2016/981826-crystal2WC.jpg

I really like this one :).

Here is mine: Zebra Finch. I am thinking about warming the top part of the background a little bit. Not sure though. Painted from a reference on the internet which I cannot remember the source anymore :(.

OziAfricana
08-23-2016, 09:56 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2016/13874-rps20160823_135645.jpg

Currently on my easel.

12 x 12 oil on canvas paper

Photo from Google Street View Norway this month on the Virtual Paintout.

docsaro
08-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Thank you all , dear members! Hoping to finish it soon. That waterfall is awesome Rastermon!

Thank you,Delo , Rastermon and Donovans brain,

OziAfricana
08-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I love your waterfall @Rastermon.

wdaniels
08-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Nice work all:) Here is "Otselic River" finished with a detail shot. It's 12 x 16 inches, oil on Ampersand Gessobord.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2016/1054932-14068048_1196277457059925_3975505541892964397_n.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2016/1054932-14102883_1196278460393158_7907732588164508619_o.jpg

mtpalms
08-23-2016, 12:47 PM
I just love your landscapes, the colors are so rich and inviting!

wdaniels
08-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Thank you Marcia:)

OziAfricana
08-24-2016, 09:42 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2016/13874-rps20160824_134304.jpg

I'm calling this done now.

mtpalms
08-25-2016, 12:45 PM
I worked on this one yesterday. The roof vent is a little off. It is a bit cock eyed irl, but no that much. Otherwise this one is finished. And it didn't photograph well. Even after applying some filters, the pic is too warm.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4602.jpeg

Edit:
Just fixed the vent, and took a better picture:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4609.jpeg

FL-Arts
08-25-2016, 02:07 PM
Be kind, I'm just starting. For August, I am painting every day. At least once a week - weather permitting - it must be plein air. (I'm trying to decide whether I'm ready to commit to a month of plein air for September.)

This is a quick still life (you know you're an artist when you see gorgeous pears in the store and think "I must paint these" instead of "I must eat these.") :)

WMO oil on oil paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2016/1984458-Tri-pears_sm.jpg

RAdauto3
08-26-2016, 01:25 PM
Almost done! Yay
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2016/1987897-IMAG1978_1.jpg

anth_knight
08-26-2016, 02:47 PM
I worked on this one yesterday. The roof vent is a little off. It is a bit cock eyed irl, but no that much. Otherwise this one is finished. And it didn't photograph well. Even after applying some filters, the pic is too warm.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4602.jpeg

Edit:
Just fixed the vent, and took a better picture:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4609.jpeg

Love it! (As usual :) ) You're really inspiring me to plough on with my stuff at the moment, thanks for that!

mtpalms
08-26-2016, 02:53 PM
You're welcome! Same here. Sometimes I feel like I am painting in a vacuum, posting and visiting here is a big help. Not necessarily for feedback, but just to know I am not alone in the universe. :)

donovansbrain
08-26-2016, 04:40 PM
Almost done! Yay
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Aug-2016/1987897-IMAG1978_1.jpg
Nice. Reminds me of a big field up here where you can see the Olympic mountains. :)

mtpalms
08-30-2016, 09:52 PM
I don't know why, but this one seemed to fight back most of the afternoon, finally co-operating in the last hour or so. I like the pots, I should do a still life of just those.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2016/208394-wc_4610.jpeg

AnnieA
08-31-2016, 12:34 AM
Marcia, love it! The whole thing is perfect, from derelict sofa to sign to wooden door.

But wasn't there something on the counter inside at an earlier point? Have you considered a can of beer or bottle of wine? :lol: j/k...it really is perfect as is.

mtpalms
08-31-2016, 01:47 AM
Thank you Annie! This is the second version of the same trailer, the first one had a fan on the counter. I think a bottle of wine, maybe a glass or 2 would be perfect, thank you!

Coastal
08-31-2016, 07:46 PM
Marcia,
Love the steps (porch) ;) and the blue carpet

NancyMP
08-31-2016, 10:56 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2016/203830-Fozzi_8.jpg I'm trying to copy Sargent's "Dr. Fozzi at Home," for a show in December, all of which will be forgeries. Unfortunately we decided to call the show "The Magnificent Forgers," which means I still gotta work on this some more, since it's hardly magnificent. How many more things did I get wrong besides the ones I already noticed?

mtpalms
09-01-2016, 01:51 AM
Thank you John! I did a little more, including adding a wine bottle and glasses, will post it tomorrow.

Nancy, I don't know if it is the photo not reproducing well, or the painting, but his hands look very red to me. Also, I would try lightening his robe with cda red light.