PDA

View Full Version : My First Upload- C&C please!

Emmee
07-28-2016, 02:31 AM
Hello! This is my first-ever upload to WC. I am still an amateur artist who would love some helpful, yet kind C&C on what I could do to improve this painting. It is from a photo I took near Lake Tahoe. I just loved how the purple flowers were glowing with the morning light streaming across the meadow. I like to fish, so I added the ripples in the water to indicate that it might be a good spot to get out my fishing pole. Maybe it was too much, though. If so, what could I do differently? Any other helpful tips? Thank you for any help you can give. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2016/1986916-6.JPGSave

Yorky
07-28-2016, 03:52 AM
It's lovely Emmee, wonderful light and shade. Congratulations on your first upload.

Doug

Trumper
07-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Just seen this,everything looks so soft and peaceful.

Emmee
07-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Thank you, Yorky and Trumper! :)

Wetbrush3018
08-01-2016, 03:19 AM
Congrats on your first post! I would like to offer that your ripple in the water should continue and tapper off to the right gradually other wise it seems to look like the ripple is a drain that is draining. You could add some light colored ripples and carry it out into the shadow of the shore line just above the ripples. The water to right seems to be flat and and have a horizonal pattern that adding a widening ripple pattern would help to show some value between the ripple and the standing water as it spreads out. For a ripple pattern that large the center should be flattening out and the ripple pattern would be looser as the ripples have already spread out so far. Your ripples appear if there is still something there still causing the ripples to continue. Hope that helps.

Emmee
08-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Wetbrush3018,

Thank you for the advice on the ripple! It sure helps to have new eyes look at it. I see what you mean about the drain-effect.

Thanks again!

landsmith
08-02-2016, 04:48 AM
Cool painting. The ripples make me think 'dang I just missed a fish jump'. That adds some interest.

bocote
08-06-2016, 07:04 PM
This is a fine painting and one to be proud of.

The ripples idea is great, but the perspective is a little off. They should be squeezed a bit vertically and perhaps smaller, but that would depend on fish size. The background shrubbery are portrayed somewhat symbolically and tend look repetitive. Lighting looks nice, but it does tend to follow the tree line a bit.

For this work I don't think any changes are needed, but aforementioned comment could be used for next painting.

thanks for sharing.

Emmee
08-06-2016, 08:50 PM
Bryan,
Thank you so much for your comments. I agree with the background shrubs looking repetitive. I'm glad you pointed it out. And I obviously need more experience painting the ripples. That was the first time I've ever tried it. I really appreciate your comments on them.

I sure appreciate everyone's input. It's so nice having many helpful artists' eyes to learn from.

Thank you so much!

picassolite
08-10-2016, 05:34 PM
"I just loved how the purple flowers were glowing with the morning light streaming across the meadow."

Improving this painting ... is very subjective... in the eye of the beholder... so -

An artist friend once told me ... "inside of a large painting could be a small jewel - so crop or use a smaller mat to see the possibilities."

That being said ... I always look for the 'impact area' of a painting.

And I use a modern artist tool to help me find it quickly ... the computer.

I paid attention to your comment - "I just loved the purple flowers" so that is what I focused on -

By filtering the area around the purple flowers ... I was looking for the best change of light to affect the flowers and
make them ... pop.

But these are only some of the possibitities ... as light affects the impact of the flowers.

1-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2016/1983103-Emmee_1.jpg

2-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2016/1983103-Emmee_2.jpg

3-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2016/1983103-Emmee_3.jpg

Just some ideas to think about.
:angel:

Emmee
08-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Picassolite,

Thank you for your response! I really like your friend's quote: "inside of a large painting could be a small jewel - so crop or use a smaller mat to see the possibilities". I think I will try that on this very painting. I hadn't even really thought of cropping it, but I think it is a good idea to try that too. The scene was so peaceful and then to have that spark of warm, morning glow coming from the flowers- it was just amazing.

Also, I appreciate your suggestion of using the computer to filter for possibilities. I'm assuming you were using Photoshop? Did you just use various colored filters, or were you using something else on Photoshop to change the mood of the picture? I'll have to try that on my next painting.

Cassandra_Fay
08-10-2016, 06:40 PM
Lovely work, really like the light affect you've gotten!

Emmee
08-10-2016, 06:42 PM
Cassandra Fay,

Thank you so much for your kind words!