PDA

View Full Version : Corner Post, Obion County TN

roberj
10-23-2003, 11:16 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-23-2003/25262_corner_post.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Corner Post, Obion County TN
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 11x14
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Another painting from trip to TN last month

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'm pretty satisfied with the distance and the middle ground. is more detail needed in the foreground. Too much green? Stop while I'm at least not behind?

jerryW
10-24-2003, 08:07 AM
great nuancing

Paintonbrush
10-24-2003, 10:27 AM
visual harmony, depth and love that fence!

Rabbit Twilight
10-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Ah.....my Tennessee! But, I guess you can paint a little of it. :)
You've done a good job with this one. The only thing I can't tell from your digital pic, or scan is the sky on the left just looks like white canvas. I'm assuming it just got washed out in your photo.

roberj
10-24-2003, 11:39 AM
The sky did wash out, the whole photo is a little lighter in value than the painting. The clouds at left are very light, with texture and hints of color providing the visual clues for shape.

Bob

pero lane
10-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Nicely done Bob!:)

wolvenp
10-25-2003, 12:01 AM
Above your signature and elsewhere in the foreground, I would put stronger yellows. What you have there is too washed-out. The stronger yellow will be more appropriate for what is near. Also, you have a darker area in the road that to me does not look natural; put in some ruts, perhaps.

I like the composition.

See the tree that is just to the left of the big, near tree? That tree is closer than the distant line of trees on upper right, so it should be a darker value than them.

YLCIA
10-25-2003, 12:30 AM
A very nice work:) The fence is great !

Julia

artinoils
10-25-2003, 07:21 PM
Lots of atmosphere...lovely color. Fence is awesome.
Wondering if softening or placing some upright grasses on the near edge of the dirt road would help break up the long diagonal to the right egde of the painting. The same with the near edge of the yellow strip of field.

roberj
10-25-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Adding grass to the foreground is the idea I had, but then I started worrying about scale. The fence is four feet high. The foreground is really quite a distance from the viewer. Photo loses some of the retail in the road and hardens the graduation of the color shift. I think I will go back into the area between the sig and the corner post with some grasses. I also like the idea of boosting the ocher in this area.

Bob