GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Put in a Box
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This painting has been a while in process. Now I have decided to be done with it. I hope this painting sparks your imagination. This is my first acrylic painting *on canvas*. It was originally intended as "pop art". I went for black outlines in line with that purpose.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
* What do you like?
* What do you not like?

La_
07-25-2016, 03:21 PM
yay! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2016/84648-loveshower.gif finally!!

although ... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2016/84648-wagfinger1.gif i don't see a signature yet.

la

Bodhi Peace
07-26-2016, 04:08 PM
thank youuuu :heart: :grouphug: :heart:
a siggy, ehhh?

Jon
07-27-2016, 03:35 PM
Interesting social statement while using some bright colors.

Bodhi Peace
07-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Thank you. I intend to tone down my colors as I get more experienced.
Is there a particular color you think is too bright?

Jon
07-27-2016, 06:18 PM
I thought the juxtaposition of the brighter colors within the darker theme added to the impact.

landsmith
07-29-2016, 05:43 AM
It ended up looking really cool.

Bodhi Peace
07-29-2016, 07:54 PM
thank you. I suppose you've seen it since the beginning?

AudreyCatherine
07-29-2016, 11:27 PM
If you renamed the J.B Box company 'Highschool' you could sell thousands as a poster. I like the monster hands on the box and the half and half clothing. Nice and interesting.

Bodhi Peace
07-29-2016, 11:46 PM
great idea! I suppose you'll want your cut if I make a bundle off of prints?

"monster hands" lol. they did become that did'nt they... somehow it does just fine like that.......

landsmith
07-30-2016, 04:43 AM
thank you. I suppose you've seen it since the beginning?

Yes, I believe I saw it in the beginning. Btw I thought it looked alright at the start too. But you definitely persevered and made it better.

It would be nice if you could give a short explanation of your message. I think I have some idea what that is though. Keep on Trucking.

Bodhi Peace
07-30-2016, 11:09 PM
This is the story of Man (in the plural) represented by this one man.
The buildings represent the structures that man erects in society.
You can see what remains of a once green pasture, an agrarian society.
The "box factory" is the ugly head of the industrial revolution, at once impressive, foreboding.
The beautiful blue sky is in turmoil from pollution and wireless communications.
But yet the box factory is lit up and humming like a computer server, with windows like the dots on a computer screen or bits of computer memory.
Thus the box factory is transformed from within as the information revolution takes place.
The building across the street might possibly symbolize a class divide (is that an office building?).
The man is given the promise of a job at the box factory, but instead of making the boxes,,, he finds himself inside of one of his own creation. Notice the color of his shirt (on the "regular" side). Then again there are hints of the information revolution as he becomes no longer a man but an emoji... No longer just in a box but almost like a jail (the left transformation).
Now he looks warily back at what has happened... His hands like an ape or monster (again dehumanized?) and don't they suggest that he would like to get out but he doesn't know exactly how?

Emmee
08-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Bodhi Peace, my favorite parts: the multi-blue panes on the windows (they really catch my eye!), the way you painted "Box Factory" and the white-to-yellow background of it (I like that it is not just one color), and the shadow under the lid of the box.

Suggestion: maybe the three closest boxes could be a little lighter in color since they are not in the shadow of the building?

Bodhi Peace
08-03-2016, 12:41 AM
thank you for those comments
I agree pretty much entirely
surprised about the lid's shadow - it was one of the last parts added!
I tried originally to have the light difference on the boxes but it got lost apparently somewhere along the line in all that painting...

elove
08-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Love this piece, both for the social commentary and the execution. The only thing I would work on if you did a similar piece in the future is the smoke from the chimneys in the background. Everything else in the piece is very defined with your black lines and just the right amount of detail, however the smoke in the background is not defined at all. A little detail in the grey area of the smoke would be interesting and cohesive with the rest of the painting.

Love love love the blue window panes, nice work!

AudreyCatherine
08-09-2016, 02:13 AM
BhodiPeace=you have my blessings to rewrite "highschool" on a building.:cool: Earning all those poster millions, I assume you will use most of them philanthropically. School is starting...:wave:

Bodhi Peace
08-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Thank you

Bodhi Peace
08-27-2016, 06:40 PM
The previous comment was to elove.

To Audrey:
It is an entertaining idea... but I've never been in the poster business. To whom the bell tolls........
(Wouldn't mind having those millions though)

truebeliever
08-29-2016, 02:46 AM
Hi!

I used to have a studio in Gowanus, Brooklyn, that was in an old box factory.

The painting itself reminds me a little bit of early Philip Guston works. Specifically, "If This Be Not I" and similar pieces... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2016/1988355-64abe9b4c0262e1924d1f075d4def92e.jpg

The painting is not bad. I initially read it as humorous but simplistic. The description of the symbolic meaning seems over the top to me... I never would have gone there. I would prefer to see the symbolism suggested or implied by the actual painting. I.E. signs in the painting that there is more going on than it seems at first. In terms of rhetoric, I think it's stronger if you can get the viewer to see things but not be exactly certain of the references... then they are using their own brains to figure it out. More rewarding. When everything is spelled out so precisely, it ceases to be an object of contemplation...

I would suggest looking very carefully at the paintings of Piero della Francesca. They could really inform the way you structure your narratives and set up symbolic/dramatic situations.

-TB

Bodhi Peace
08-30-2016, 04:46 PM
Hi, truebeliever.

You have come and taken the time to give me a wonderful critique. I did not know Philip did art in that style, so this is quite intriguing to me. I find it interesting because I have been really trying to get my hands on Philip's writings within the past few weeks and to understand this artist who I bacame acquainted with... That art piece "if this be not i" is very complex and deep, but for myself I find it very hard to interpret because I have little to go on to start with an interpretation (I might have to read up on this with other people's views). I see a clue... the old world pillars and the masks of the theatre. It feels strangely noncontemporary for a guston work...

Originally I got a little defensive about not being able to see the symbolism in it... but I took a breath and stepped back and I can can see the honest truth of it so I will take it to heart for the future.

I appreciate very much your suggestions of who to study to become a better artist. Thank you.

Bodhi Peace
08-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Now I can see my painting is caught in two directions: on one hand a Dr. Seuss like naivity with the spelling out of the "box factory" and the blatant reference to power plants/air pollution. Then there is the overall style which came out like a modestly completed semi-realistic cartoon, but it has the serious overtones and symbolism. Maybe this discord works for some and not for others. Maybe it's brilliant? Maybe it's dumb?

Anyhow, I lost my digital camera while camping so not exactly sure how I will be able to share future iterations of this art... or future things...

I am thinking about doing more to this based on your critique, ... but I have already been with this scene for so long!

Bodhi Peace
08-30-2016, 07:16 PM
Even more interesting is how I was told my painting reminded someone of Giorgio de Chirico and now I'm learning that this man was a strong influence on Guston, so it is not unusual that I am drawn to learning about Guston.