PDA

View Full Version : Cool

Moving On
07-24-2016, 11:14 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-24-2016/1986594_CCF07242016.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-24-2016/1986594_ref_photo_2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Cool
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I had a lot of trouble with the shadows on this. I have been told that the girls think they look "cool" when they purse their lips like the photo.
The painting is not meant to be exact, but I have added the reference photo.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any

Mr linseed
07-25-2016, 08:31 AM
I love the 'blue steel' pout.

If you study the eye structure and how the ball sits in the socket (gross, I know) you'll note the brow tends to protude giving way to shadow The top eye-lid also folds under the brow.

So try and set the eyes back in their sockets by introducing more shodow beneath the brow and defining the upper eye-lid more. I understand this may not be the case in your ref photo. Perhaps a cooler skin tone will suffice.

Cool dude!

Mr linseed
07-25-2016, 08:32 AM
Amendment to my last:

Also, whites of the eye are never actually 'white'. Check it out.

Moving On
07-25-2016, 08:51 AM
So much to learn and so little time to paint! (sigh). Thanks for the helpful comments. I will definitely check it out. Is the one eye too big?

NGJ
07-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Regarding eyes:

Instead of putting the highlight in the middle of the pupil, move it so that half of the highlight is in the pupil and half is in the iris. Directly across from that highlight will be a secondary light, not as intense as the main one, but the iris will be lighter in that area. The part of the iris that is directly beneath the upper eyelid will be in shadow and will be darker. Including a variation of values within the iris will take away a flat look and will give the eye sparkle. In order to paint more realistic eye lashes, study close up photos of eyes and notice carefully what the eye lashes actually look like.

Regarding lips:

The upper and lower lips are not the same value: the upper lip should be darker. The bottom lip will not only be a lighter value, it will also have a highlight in it. This highlight is very important if you want to have a realistic look to your portrait.

I hope these comments are helpful.

You can get a lot of good advice in the portraiture forum.

Moving On
07-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Your comments were very helpful. Thank you!

Moving On
07-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Thanks to both of you for the helpful comments. I tried to revise it a bit and this is what I ended up with. Still not that happy with the one eye, but not sure I want to gesso it and start over, either.]

AudreyCatherine
07-29-2016, 11:22 PM
This is 'cool':cool: . So I would leave it as is and start another, knowing what you know now. Sending in the photo was helpful. You really did a nice rendition. Just doing little things like suggested above made your redo more alive. And it helped me too. WCanvas is cool too. Thanks:clap:

northcanadian
08-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Nice one.....maybe another study in monochrome....maybe a 'cool' blue value study would help and tie in with title(???)

Moving On
08-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks Audrey Catherine.

North Canadian - I have to giggle a little, thinking of the look on the poor girls face if I painted her whole face blue:lol: Not sure I'm quite ready to tackle that study.

Tom Brown
08-12-2016, 05:09 AM
I did a little photo shop thing to show how your values are off. Ive compared the lightest light in the photo to the darkest dark in your panting. You may also want to consider losing the white paint. Portraits are tough but you're getting there.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2016/1986439-image.jpeg

Moving On
08-12-2016, 08:40 AM
That helps. Thanks!