PDA

View Full Version : after the rainstorm

sundiver
10-23-2003, 07:36 PM
...and the sun came out.
The color really was that garish- I had to stop by the road and take a picture. But is it too unbelievable? Should I dull it down? Green it up? All critiques welcome!
8x10 oil pastels on brick-red Canson
I used the image in the recent WDEvent, and it is now in the Image Library.
Thanks for looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Oct-2003/6393-aftertherainstorm.jpg

bnoonan
10-23-2003, 08:07 PM
Wendy,

It's a beauty alright. I saw this photo in the project thread for the weekend and swore I'd get back to paint it - now you've done it for me!!!

Love those intense and rich colors. There is so much of interest in this piece with all the textures of the leaves on the trees and the clouds in the sky - nicely done!!!

Oh my gosh - all that and it's only 8"x 10" - you have got to be kidding me???

BArb:clap:

Mikki Petersen
10-23-2003, 08:12 PM
Wendy,

What a great depiction of fall and the colors are not unrealistic at all. You might want to go back and look at the sky though. It is artificial looking because the color does not vary toward the horizon. In most cases, the sky will lighten as it nears the horizon. If it is very late in the day, the eastern sky will darken toward the horizon. Anyway, I agree with everything Barb said.

Redsy333
10-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Smashing colors dear!!!
I love the depth and the stream, gorgeous!
If anything Id add some of that purple into the sky, if that! Great work hun!!!
Cheers,
Redsy

sundiver
10-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Barb, Mikki and Redsy!
I like that purple in the sky idea, because it isn't blue sky there, it's the storm clouds still covering over half the sky, and the sun just breaking through behind us to the left.

CarlyHardy
10-23-2003, 10:17 PM
I've seen light effects like this during a storm when the sun suddenly appears from out of nowhere! Gives an intensity to color because of the moisture in the air...I think! Anyway, its a beauty and amazing that its so small. I would have guessed much larger!
carly

Rosic
10-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Don't you just love the colors just before or after a storm? Those deep grays in the sky and that golden light that seems to make everything else pop! You have rendered that feeling here.
Rosic

ctmobitz
10-23-2003, 11:58 PM
Sundiver.....
Yes, I too agree about the lightning of the sky at the horizon. You have surely got the Autumn in the air look! BTW which oil pastels are you using?

Keep up the good work

Claude

SweetBabyJ
10-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Nice catch! Yep- give it a bit of horizon and it's set.

sundiver
10-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Claude, Rosic and Carly! :)
What I like about after-the-storm scenes is the sky being darker than the land, it's so unusual looking.
Claude, they are mostly Holbein artist-grade oil pastels, with some Caran D'Aches.
Sons's I get home I'll get on that horizon!

blissfullyunaware
10-24-2003, 06:07 PM
:clap: :clap: Smashing work, gorgeous colors. I saw the reference pic (loved all the pic's you did for the drawing event :D), and thought is was a great subject to try. You did a fantastic job with it!!! Love it!

~~ sharon