GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Fishin' Cove
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Found a nice cove with a pier near where I live here in TN. The pier is angled kind of odd and was hard to recreate, but I did the best I could for someone who just started painting a month or so ago.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any feedback appreciated!

Pinguino
07-21-2016, 12:46 PM
If the pier is angled kinda odd, that's where you, the painter, re-create it to your own taste. Don't let reality tie you down. Paint the pier you want, not the pier that is.

La_
07-21-2016, 02:49 PM
land can slope all over the place, but water is pretty consistently flat, needs to be flat

cool sky, nice colors

la

O'Hurley
07-21-2016, 03:00 PM
land can slope all over the place, but water is pretty consistently flat, needs to be flat

cool sky, nice colors

la

Yeah, I see how that looks now that you brought that up. I wasn't even thinking when I put the water lines in up against the land. I implicitly followed the curve of the land. Easy fix. Thanks!

~JMW~
07-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Pier would be wider at foreground since it is closer to the viewer, then taper to the distant part.
But the main fix would be the water/shorelines that appears slanted as mentioned..
Donít be afraid to let big trees go up & off the canvas, otherwise they look stunted and cut off.
Maybe a few touches of green in those Left side trees/bushes, to keep color compatibility/consistency with the other foliage.

O'Hurley
07-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Pier would be wider at foreground since it is closer to the viewer, then taper to the distant part.
But the main fix would be the water/shorelines that appears slanted as mentioned..
Donít be afraid to let big trees go up & off the canvas, otherwise they look stunted and cut off.
Maybe a few touches of green in those Left side trees/bushes, to keep color compatibility/consistency with the other foliage.

Yeah, the pier was in a different spot and didn't look right to me (may be able to make out where it once stood, but kind of looks like reflection in the water, so a small win with moving it). I tried widening it after the move and was messing up my water and didn't feel like going through the trouble of fixing all of that so just left it as is. Thanks!

northcanadian
08-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Nice one...I agree with the other posts....keep the water shore lines horizontal to the canvas...notably the two shorelines on the left

SilverSwallow
08-10-2016, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the world of painting! I think you done a wonderful job for someone just starting.
I think before we talk, value and composition, the first thing you need to do is take some time to study and understand perspective.
No matter what you do and how many hours you spend painting, if you have no grasp of perspective it will never be right.
There are plenty of free ebooks, online tutorials,etc in order to help you.

Many people who get into painting skip over the fact that all great painters can draw really well and all understand the fundamental principles.

I personally never paint without laying out a good line drawing and ensuring all my perspective is accurate. I will be honest with you and tell you that drawing boxes in perspective is boring and dull, but a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Taking the step will allow you to be more creative and you will enjoy the process a lot more.
Good look on your journey and keep at it!