PDA

View Full Version : Untitled

Moving On
07-20-2016, 09:41 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-20-2016/1986594_CCF07202016.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8 x 10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Portrait attempt.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any

Jon
07-20-2016, 02:05 PM
It can be difficult to comment without seeing the image from which you were working.
Have you seen this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578564)on doing portraits using acrylic paints?

Moving On
07-20-2016, 03:37 PM
No, but I'll check it out.
Thanks.

Moving On
07-24-2016, 09:34 PM
838915This is a little late, but I'm attempting to attach the original photo.

Mr linseed
07-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Be much, much bolder with the shadows. The left hand side of her face in the ref photo is mostly in shadow. Use tones from the left side of the colour wheel ie, blues etc mixed into your palette. Don't just mix black with your skin tone (which is lovely).

I sit and critique from my arm-chair but I do understand how difficult portraits can be!

Moving On
07-25-2016, 08:44 AM
Thanks. I find I have this weird fear of painting shadows. I'm guessing it is a beginner thing. But I'm working on it.:)

Mr linseed
07-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Hey I'm a beginner too! Guess we all are until we sell a painting for a £million!

Have a look at the colour wheel. A little bit of theory will help you out no end with shadows. You'll note the wheel has the three primary colours arranged 120 degrees apart. Between these you have secondary colours etc. Eg yellow and red makes orange...you can almost cut the wheel in two with cool colours, some greens most blues, purples etc and warm colours, yellows, oranges reds etc.

Paint your 'shadows' first using mostly cool colours. Not necessarily 'dark' warm colours. Then, load your brush with wonderfully warm colours and imagine you're painting the light hitting your subject.

Monet never painted form. He only painted light and its shadows.

northcanadian
08-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Keeping the light source in mind will also help with the shadows ie: the nostrils, under the nose and chin could be darker in value

MatildaArt!
08-09-2016, 11:59 PM
I actually really like it! I think it's an adorable painting of a adorable girl. It has a sweet innocent quality to it that, to me, suits it😊

Moving On
08-10-2016, 01:43 PM
That's actually what I was going for more than the realism. Young ladies in my country are being bombarded with messages that their worth is based on what they do - and their physical attractiveness. If it's possible in a painting, I was hoping to show them that there is so much more to them than their appearance or accomplishments.

MatildaArt!
08-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Moving On, I think you accomplished that and such a great message to teach our young girls!😊