PDA

View Full Version : joys of lead

sarkana
07-07-2001, 11:22 AM
i've recently been converted from my titanium-zinc loving habits to a more legally disputed course of action: painting with lead white. its more solid, it handles better, dries faster, has a nicer tone of white. i can't believe i didn't discover it sooner. sometimes i'm a little slow.

lead is a more traditional white than titanium. but lead white is getting harder to come by all the time. many manufacturers are bowing to government pressure to stop making lead-based paints (and this includes naples yellow as well as flake white). gamblin has actually been quite vocal in spreading the lead fear. why? lead is not much more dangerous than a lot of other stuff we already use. especially if artists are conscientious and take reasonable precautions (don't breathe powdered lead, don't sand a lead-based ground, don't eat the stuff for godssakes).

some manufacturers are still offering it. old holland is still selling several leaded whites. doak makes i think seven kinds of flake. are there others? let me know. we've started production at my studio, too. so if those other sources fail you check our website.

interesting that the same government that is cracking down on lead-based artist paints didn't lift a finger to stop the city of new york from sandblasting the lead paint off the williamsburg bridge this summer. but i guess pointing out governmental hypocrisy is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Verdaccio
07-07-2001, 11:39 AM
Ah yes, Lead White - wonderful stuff! I use it in my underpainting and then switch to Titanium and Zinc for overpainting. Lead white is, of course, the primary ingredient in a "traditional" ground on a panel or canvas.

BTW: It is now "illegal" to manufacture lead paint in the U.S. Large manufacturers have stopped. Small manufacturers may continue because their operations are too small to be noticed and the law will be somewhat difficult to enforce. The one thing that is for sure, Lead Whites are going to be harder to find in the U.S. and we artists will have to make our own, or buy it from small suppliers or suppliers in Europe - it is not illegal to import it - yet.

Leopoldo1
07-07-2001, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by sarkana
some manufacturers are still offering it. old holland is still selling several leaded whites. doak makes i think seven kinds of flake. are there others? let me know. we've started production at my studio, too. so if those other sources fail you check our website.

As manufactures started to drop lead from their inventory, a year ago, I bought 60 large tubes(150ml) from Utrecht, some of the last lead white they were offering. As I panicked here a few months back, I called their main plant again to buy more and only a limted amount in small tubes was available. Once extinguished no more.

I am glad you are offering it as I feel once the public re-educates themselves from the lead scare, it will once again steady out on the painters palette. Lead does things to paint that nothing else can duplicate. Saponify for one and it's marvelous drying characteristcs. I think since white of any kind is the most used by artists, having a competive price or below will help sales through volume. :oL

Titanium
07-07-2001, 02:42 PM
Hello LeadHeads ,

from a 20 % by weight Zn0 [ large particles ] / 80 % Ti02 user .

You should get the same results from - 20 to 15 % Lead White [ preferably large particles ] to 80 % Titanium Dioxide [ if possible large particles ] .

That would be - saponification , UV protection , flexiblity , suspension , through coat drying , some translucency [ if desired ]
and strong oil coat .

By the way only 1 gm of Lead [ metal ] to 99 gms of oil , is needed to gain the above ----------- POSSIBLY EXCEPT ----- for

UV Protection .

The ultra fine particle size of the Ti02 might bug you , but then the Old Master Lead White was not as fine as what your using , nor as active chemically [ big particle size ] .

If your going to use Lead White , try and use what the Old Master's did , there is a difference.
Titanium [ Lead Friendly , but not too hopeful that it is going to
be around that much longer . ]

tonymarzi
07-15-2001, 07:52 PM
sarkana, Im considering buying some of your lead white thats on sale, but I wanted to know the composition of your paints?

Raffaele
07-16-2001, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Verdaccio
or buy it from small suppliers or suppliers in Europe

You can always come to Canada to pick some up (or order through Canadian suppliers). I use Blockx flake white. Excellent.
You can also order Old Holland pigments or their tubes. W&N is another supplier. I've yet to have difficulity in Canada or Europe getting what I need. Don't forsee problems down the road either.

Danny
07-16-2001, 05:47 AM
Ok heres the poop. Your wrong about lead not being much more dangerous. There was a local artist here who died from it. She had a habit as i did of sticking the end of her brushes in her mouth. She also smoked while painting with paint on her hands.Another well known artist it is belived died from lead poisining. He also had a habit of sticking the end of his brushes in his mouth.He died after being an artist for only 10 years.He was unstable mentaly all his life but some experts now contribute his final madness to severe led poisning. His name was Vincent VanGogh.He only lived to be 37.My art instructor saw me sitck the end of my brush in my mouth and had a fit. Gave me a paper on the subjesk.This is one habit i no longer have. It's 100 times more dangerous than Smokeing.However when handled properly and takeing the proper precautions led white is the very best paint.Especally used with an undercoat.Its stood the test of time.But NEVER underestamate its Danger