PDA

View Full Version : Hot Rod Sketch

Davkin
07-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Haven't been in here for a while, I bounce around between mediums. I got the urge to play on the tablet and so did a quick sketch.

1600X2000, Artrage on a Surface Pro 3

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2016/201970-dig001-16x20-0716-H.jpg

Willowshades
07-14-2016, 06:40 AM
If this is a quick sketch then I would love to see one that you have spent time fleshing out the details. This classic Hot Rod looks terrific.

LavenderFrost
07-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Very nice sketch. Could also be the start of a painting.

Davkin
07-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Thanks Willow, Michelle.

I might expand on this sketch or make a fully painted version in the future. The layout sketch is preserved in a separate layer, no big deal to save the file as something else and delete the other layers and start over as a painting. That's one of the beauties of digital, easier to create multiple version of the same art. I've still got a learning curve to go through to get the results I want though. While Artrage is a fairly intuitive program, to get the best results requires getting into it deeper. The question is will digital hold my attention long enough for me to master it, I can't say for sure, I tend to bounce around a lot between mediums. Digital has my full attention today, but will it tomorrow? I don't dare make a prediction. :lol:

laika
07-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Very cool! Yes, by all means save the sketch layer if you decide to paint it.

Lucy-Foote
07-15-2016, 10:26 AM
Very nice sketch, and I think one day you may want to finish it.

Lucy

Delofasht
07-15-2016, 01:33 PM
The best part about working in any one medium is the benefits and different thinking processes you learn going into other mediums. All my time painting in oils has been changing the way I approach digital in a lot of ways, and the time I spent in colored pencil work has changed the way I look at subjects to see their colors more accurately. It's all connected.

Also, that is an extremely nice sketch of a hot rod.

Davkin
07-15-2016, 06:42 PM
Thanks Lamar, Lucy, Delo

Elainepsq
07-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Great job, you got just enough detail and yet kept it "sketchy". And I love the limited color. Do save this, if you decide to develop it further. Actually, it would be fun to see several versions. Which is so easy to do with digital.

b'anna
07-17-2016, 12:51 PM
This is great! I love it! I would love to see you follow up on a full painting.

Davkin
07-22-2016, 12:43 AM
Thanks Elaine, b'anna.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this, I've been distracted by other stuff. I did start an "oil painting" version of this. I've just blocked in the car so far. I don't know yet what I'll do for a background. As you say Elaine, multiple versions are relatively easy to do with digital. Maybe I'll do an expressionist/abstract version after I've detailed out the car and an impressionist version with some kind of landscape setting.