PDA

View Full Version : New Sticks with Pics!

zippie
07-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Hi all,

Been pretty quiet around here lately so I thought I would share some pics of the new Mt. Vision pastels I just got in.

I've been doing some Tonalist style landscapes and continuing with my pastel nocturnes so I found I needed some really nice olivey greens and green grays. Plus I have wanted the Dark Earth set for a long time. I have a few Mt. Visions and really liked them so I was hoping I could find the greens I needed.

These did not disappoint! Also got some brighter colors and some nice blues.

My pastel collection consists of the GA half stick plein air set which I like but am not crazy about their waxy texture ( I cll them my poor man's TLs!), Sennelier 40 half portrait set, which has great muted tones that I like but are pretty fragile in my hands. For me, MVs are the best of all. I love the grit and they're just soft enough, but not so soft that they crumble upon contact! From my limited experience, I'd say the colors IRL are way better that what I see in swatches online. Glad I took the chance!

Hope this helps someone who's planning their next purchase. Cheers!

ps..sorry if these pics aren't too good. the brown earth set is esp. hard to photograph. had to separate the swatches from the sticks.

Nick7
07-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Oh, pictures! :clap: :lol:
They look wonderful. I don't have any MV, but I really like the colors you have chosen. Thank you for posting it!

zippie
07-12-2016, 08:27 PM
Thanks Nick, I always like to see pics of people's pastels.
Yeah these greens are just what I was looking for.
And Now I have a reference for adding more also.

Cheers!

Donna T
07-13-2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks so much for the photos! I love my Mount Visions and hope to get more someday. The olive greens look great for foliage but right now colors 612 and 613 match my dried up lawn perfectly! Do you have the Thunderstorm Greys? It is a very useful group of colors.

Dougwas
07-13-2016, 10:21 AM
You can never have too many Mount Vision pastels! I wish I had known about them when I was first starting out. IMO they are the best "bang for your buck" pastel on the market. Enjoy!

Doug

Nick7
07-13-2016, 11:25 AM
How soft are they compared to Unisons?

zippie
07-13-2016, 08:08 PM
Sorry Nick, I only have one Unison, a dark earth 24 i think...got it as a sample.

Compared to a MV of similar color, they're very very close. I think in general, MVs may be a little grittier, but I'm sure someone else will be better able to tell.

Price and size aside, I think finding the right color would be more significant than texture..at least from my limited experience and from what i've read.

robertsloan2
07-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Great photos! I have the Dark Earth set too, just got it, your photos are good! Also just got Thunderstorm Grays. Love the texture and the price, quite a lot like Unisons. This post is so jolly. Good greens, so tempting to get that greens set sometime...

SAS Designs
07-16-2016, 05:34 PM
I like the colors of the Mt. Vision, but find them very "chalky" compared to Unison.
suzy

ArtistMelinda
07-18-2016, 06:27 PM
MV uses ground marble in his base so they can feel gritty to some people. The feel varies between colors I notice.

FYI - he hand makes every stick here in Tampa Florida so you are getting a real all American small business! :clap:

They are hefty and you get a lot of pastel for the money. Very soft - make a mess for me but cover fast and solid.

He is also very open to suggestions so if you want something special, mail him a swatch and he does try to create them - he recently did a series of red-purples at my suggestion - he previous purples were blue purple.

stapeliad
07-19-2016, 02:19 PM
:clap: those look absolutely fantastic!!

thevaliantx
08-30-2016, 05:46 AM
This past spring all of my pastel paintings were done with Mount Visions. While I *love* the coverage the sticks give, I found that any blending at all just *killed* the color. There were a few sticks, in the dark green range, that were very hard and scratchy. They were very difficult to get any color off of, ended up ruining some of my paper trying! Probably a QC issue, I hope so. Anyway, I don't think the colors layer well. I'm wondering if the tradeoff is lower pigment count for larger stick. Maybe after I've taken a break from oils (if that ever happens, lol) I'll go back to pastels but with a brand like Unison.

zippie
08-31-2016, 11:14 AM
Interesting experience George.

I haven't had that with MVs at all. My guess is that it would probably really depend on how you work. I do a lot of layering but not much blending. Also FWIW, I'm a real beginner with pastels and just kind of switch to them when I'm taking a break from oils.

I've had a few hard and scratchy Sennies, but never a MV. I like them cause they're gritty and large. And now these latest colors I've gotten just make me want more. I also have some GAs and Sennies.