PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Mountain Snow (BR)

Big_Lew
07-08-2016, 01:22 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/07-08-2016/1985141_4_Sunset_Mountain_Snow_06-02-2016.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sunset Mountain Snow (BR)
Year Created: 2016
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
My 4th foray into Bob Ross-style painting.

Just using BR as a starting point. My favorite painter is Claude Monet - I know BR is about as far from CM as one can get. Just want to learn about tones, chroma, composition, technique, etc. BR seems like a non-intimidating starting point.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I know this is a crude painting in many respects.

Any & all comments welcome. I want to learn...

Pinguino
07-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Brushwork looks good for this genre. Bob Ross has taught you well.

Now, perhaps it is a matter of tase, but I find that sunset scenes usually have excessively chromatic colors. In nature, the sensation of colorfulness is partly conveyed by a high dynamic range that cannot be captured in paint (or jpg). Artists tend to make up for the limited dynamic range by increasing the chroma.

I put your image in my editing software, and made some simple adjustments. The pink sky was partly de-saturated (less chroma). The cyan details in the snow-covered areas were also partly de-saturated. The orange sun was changed in hue, to match the surrounding sky

You couldn't do that by over-painting what you already have. But I think that my edited version would be better if hung on your wall, because it is colurful enough without being intrusive (and has good color harmony).

EDIT: Also, the snowbank beneath the trees, at left, probably shouldn't have that green cast. Not sure what to do there.

La_
07-08-2016, 02:38 PM
gotta love bob - he encouraged/inspired So many people to start painting, 'friendly' paintings, and yes, he's a good starting point to get your brush wet.

just keep doing more, from more than just bob - each will give you new challenges and learnings and each will get a little bit better as your knowledge and confidence grows.

consider including a black and white painting into your studies, they're great for really getting a handle on values.

i attach a couple of greyscale images for you (yours and one of bobs). look closely at where the whitest whites are and how the subtle transitions to greys and blacks work with the light source.

la

Big_Lew
07-08-2016, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the comments, Pinguino! Deeply appreciated.

I like the digital adjustments you've made, and I agree with your comments about color saturation. For me BR is just a starting point. For example, I've taken to adding burnt sienna and a little white to pthalo blue for my sky color. Pure pthalo blue is pretty, but I don't find it to be a realistic "sky blue". That's how I intend to use my BR beginnings - enjoy & learn from the lessons, but also make improvements where I feel I can.

Have to laugh about your green snow comment... BR says he never uses green in winter trees specifically to avoid "green snow syndrome"! Mistakes are a GREAT way to learn, no?

Thanks again for your time & comments,

Big Lew

Big_Lew
07-08-2016, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the comments, La.

I agree 100% about doing a gray-scale painting to practice the use of values. I recently recorded a BR episode where he did just that - it's a gray-scale mountain scene. I'm still fiddling with - and failing at - bushes, grass, and trees, but I plan on tackling that gray-scale painting soon.

I also like your idea of reducing paintings to gray-scale. I see where it will really help me work on my value ranges & placement.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment, I sincerely appreciate your generosity!

Big Lew