GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: none
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 15x21
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
WIP first still life. It's lacking in realism. Not sure if it's the shadows, the shading or the tones.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Suggestions on how to make it look more realistic.

cresta126
07-04-2016, 02:47 PM
second painting ,can hardly see the flower stems so that makes flowers appear to float, the flowers are nicely painted, but think you need more going on in the center of the arrangement, to give it depth. Did the first painting get top cropped, it is good, pear and peach are floating,the chrysanthemum, tiger lily and daisy should be casting shadows on the vase, think you need darker values imo

warwulf
07-05-2016, 04:53 PM
second painting ,can hardly see the flower stems so that makes flowers appear to float, the flowers are nicely painted, but think you need more going on in the center of the arrangement, to give it depth. Did the first painting get top cropped, it is good, pear and peach are floating,the chrysanthemum, tiger lily and daisy should be casting shadows on the vase, think you need darker values imo

THANK YOU! The stems aren't done as I want to pant more flowers in front of it as well as more in the background, painted darkly as they will be in the back.
I still have to add the bottom shadow and back shadows to the fruit yet. I'm putting a morning glory in front, semi-wrapping about the vase. Also thinking of putting some cranberries or currants on the table in front.
Darker values? Hmm..yes, I agree. Lightest values in the light.
COOL! back to the easel! Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

LifePart2
07-07-2016, 12:08 AM
:thumbsup:
I remember you posting this in the other thread (on the oil painting page, I think). Your detail is wonderful, and it looks like you're working your way through the painting. I like your dancing lady orchid (oncidium? my mother is an orchid freak--she's the only person I know that can get the darn things to flower and grow). You've chosen interesting and difficult flowers.

My only comment would be about the light. The tulip is great--and you've made the light on that one. I'm figuring that as you go through and finish the flowers, the other ones will have a similar light.

My thought (this is just a thought--not necessarily a suggestion) would be that flowers are translucent. It's a choice to make them translucent or not--it's not necessary--but it's just another thing that the light does.

Big_Lew
07-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Dumb newbie commenting here - please take all my comments with a grain of salt.

Your painting has a very Japanese-print feel to me. I feel like you're stuck halfway between photorealism and impressionism - and not sure which way to go.

Your detail work on the vase print is STUNNING... As is your use of shading to illustrate the roundness of the vase. I grovel at your feet!

I think softening edges and more blending of colors throughout your painting might help you achieve the effect I think you're going for. Your edges are all razor-sharp - that leans toward the "Japanese print" and "photorealism" feel I mentioned.

Just a cheap $.02 comment from an inexperienced newbie... Have you researched "The Beauty of Oil Painting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUC93SZRQrE)" series by Gary Jenkins on the internet (youtube)? I feel he does a good job of explaining and demonstrating the use of hard & soft edges in oil painting. He's more impressionistic than photorealistic though...

I hope that in 10 years or so I have HALF the knowledge and experience you obviously have.

Peace,

Big Lew

warwulf
07-09-2016, 08:37 PM
Hi Big Lew!

THANK YOU! What you wrote makes a lot of sense! I've been too worried about the most minute details so go figure. :lol: I've taken 2 days off to just LOOK at the damn thing. Oh hell, I did quite a bit wrong from the start but with the help of my trusty #1 round point, filling in the very fine back ground details is pretty easy. This is my first attempt at a still life with flowers so again, go figure. It was a pretty piss poor start, that's for sure.

Big_Lew
07-10-2016, 11:36 AM
Hi Big Lew!

THANK YOU! What you wrote makes a lot of sense! I've been too worried about the most minute details so go figure. :lol: I've taken 2 days off to just LOOK at the damn thing. Oh hell, I did quite a bit wrong from the start but with the help of my trusty #1 round point, filling in the very fine back ground details is pretty easy. This is my first attempt at a still life with flowers so again, go figure. It was a pretty piss poor start, that's for sure.

I'll bet we're all our own worst critics... Don't be so hard on yourself! This is painting is ABSOLUTELY an A+ - ESPECIALLY for a first still life effort.

One thing I'll mention: You said you have yet to finish the foreground fruit. Warped rectangles of pure white (a small, sunny window reflected by curved surfaces) would (IMHO) do a LOT to add to the realism. I'm looking forward to seeing how this beautiful painting progresses, please post new pictures when you feel it's appropriate to do so.

As a rank dauber, I try to identify what I DON'T like about my paintings, and how to AVOID those mistakes NEXT time! I'm sure you know this, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway...

It's OK to be proud of what you ARE, while wanting to be still more.

Peace,

Big Lew