GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Untitled
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 15 X 21
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
WIP First oil still life. Conce<br>ed about my shading and tones. I can't get it to seem more real/life-like. I'd love to paint like Van Huysum but again, I'm trying to achieve a life-like painting.
I'm still working on the rose (top middle), the tubular pink flowers (center) and several leaves, background foliage, etc... The blue flowers still don't have the detail I want. Maybe I'm trying to get too much detail?
Also trying, occasionally, to be a Purist, using the same colors used in that period (1700s1900s) that I'm drawn to.
Thank you very much for your time and considerations!

Mark

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Well, just want to be a GREAT artist, not just a mediocre artist! I'm wanting to paint something so real-looking that it looks like a photograph. trying very hard on tiny details, shading , tones, chroma but it still lacks something.
I just got my 2 yr Art degree so I have some background but only 4 months or so on oils. Nothing like what I'm working on now.

fritzie
07-02-2016, 08:08 PM
I think that the first important thing is that the proportions and perspective in the individual flowers are unrealistic. I am thinking particularly of the daffodil and the iris.

La_
07-02-2016, 11:54 PM
you seem very detail/edge oriented, very precise, the vase is incredible.

when grouping various objects, they can't all be the stars of the show, somebody needs to lead (sharper/darker/louder) and the rest become back up singers (softer, lighter, muted), so to speak, it makes visual harmony. that harmony has a broad scale, of course, but realist painters have to control it the most.

consider doing a still life, gently side lit, of just a clump of grapes arranged nicely, naturally. place them on a simple cloth, show a fold or two, angled a bit to lead the viewer in. this simple, elegant composition bodes well for detail people, beginners especially, because it will teach you the intimacy of edges, sharp and soft edges, which are as important as values, grape by grape. if you can control that [and composition] you'll find your goal of 'life-like'

so, composition, while i'm here and obviously feeling chatty, smile, did you have a plan when you started these two pieces, or did you just start painting things? i ask because both have stuff leaving the top of the canvas rather sharply, like you ran out of room.
comp is so complex it's crazy, but the 'rule of thirds' is a really good starting point [aka always consider point] - could these pieces better make use of the 'rule'? why yes, yes they could and i'm going to suggest how ... 'vase': fill 30% more of the area left of the vase with flowers, leaves, a stick of berries, whatever, stuff. give cast shadows to all appropriate leaves/petals/stems/fruits that are affected by the light. let this added 30% spill gently beside/past the grapes and into the foreground. this will help frame and balance, support that marvellous vase, dead centre, he's showy enough to handle it.
or not, i'm not your mom ;)

you've got a fantastic journey ahead of you, i look forward to watching your progressions, thanks for sharing

la