PDA

View Full Version : What tools to you use for your digital art?

Andrea008
07-02-2016, 06:50 AM
What software, what kind of art ( link if you have a public portfolio)?

What kind of hardware?

I'm very very interested.. oh gosh I love this forum.

eonworks
07-02-2016, 12:50 PM
I do mainly Sci-Fi art, space, abstract, and surreal art. A few years ago I started changing from commercial to free software to lower my costs of operation. For many years I used 3DSMAX and replaced it with the free Blender, and Photoshop I replaced with the free Gimp. I still use an old version of Bryce on my windows laptop. Overall the free software satisfies my needs and saves me a lot of money. My workstation is several years old, but since I use 64bit Linux, things run fast.

kerryaislinn
07-02-2016, 02:56 PM
I work with photography, digital imaging, and alternative printing techniques. I often use Photoshop CS2, and Slit Scanning Apps for taking my photos.
Here is a link to my portfolio site (http://www.kerrykirkpatrick.net/permanent/)

I use my phone (using slit scanning apps) and sometimes a DSLR camera to take pictures and use a Laptop for editing my images.

Andrea008
07-04-2016, 07:44 AM
I work with photography, digital imaging, and alternative printing techniques. I often use Photoshop CS2, and Slit Scanning Apps for taking my photos.
Here is a link to my portfolio site (http://www.kerrykirkpatrick.net/permanent/)

I use my phone (using slit scanning apps) and sometimes a DSLR camera to take pictures and use a Laptop for editing my images.

Cool! Beautiful work.

Andrea008
07-04-2016, 07:47 AM
I do mainly Sci-Fi art, space, abstract, and surreal art. A few years ago I started changing from commercial to free software to lower my costs of operation. For many years I used 3DSMAX and replaced it with the free Blender, and Photoshop I replaced with the free Gimp. I still use an old version of Bryce on my windows laptop. Overall the free software satisfies my needs and saves me a lot of money. My workstation is several years old, but since I use 64bit Linux, things run fast.

So you do it with a regular mouse and not a graphic tablet (https://artfixed.com/best-drawing-tablet/)? Beautiful work btw. I loved the darker drawings.

eonworks
07-04-2016, 09:05 AM
So you do it with a regular mouse and not a graphic tablet (https://artfixed.com/best-drawing-tablet/)? Beautiful work btw. I loved the darker drawings.

Thank you. I used to use a tablet in the past a lot, but lately I do mostly 3D work with some minor 2D editing so I don't need the tablet.

EyeSpy
07-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Hi, Andrea,

I'm a digital artist and photographer who's been showing and selling my work, online and off, for more years than I'm willing to admit. Online, for more than a decade.

My digital work focuses on photographic art (AKA photo-manipulation), digital abstracts, and fractals.

I use a prosumer super-zoom camera -- basically, a point & shoot with a long zoom lens -- not a professional DSLR.

Long-time software of choice is very old-school Photoshop CS3. Along with PS, I'm a 3rd-party filter and plug-in geek, and have amassed a collection of both premium and free filters to assist in telling my visual stories.

My hardware is crazy (in a good way): two self-built, ancient, and constantly-upgraded, repaired, and tweaked, desktop PCs (one Win 7, the other Win XP). I call them 'Frank' and 'Stein'. :) The Win 7 system is connected to the 'net, the XP is not. They share data through a single data-link cable, and a 32gb flash drive which I shift between them as needed.

Frank and Stein are connected to a single 24" monitor (TN panel, not IPS), two standard keyboards, and two mice. (No tablets or other sophisticated input devices.) Honestly, a big element of creating my work is the pure fun of dealing with my eccentric hardware/software set-up! No pain, no gain! :-)

Links in my signature lines, below.

Andrea008
07-12-2016, 06:28 AM
Awesome, it's interesting to see how much creatives differ in what they like to create. Love your work too.

Hi, Andrea,

I'm a digital artist and photographer who's been showing and selling my work, online and off, for more years than I'm willing to admit. Online, for more than a decade.

My digital work focuses on photographic art (AKA photo-manipulation), digital abstracts, and fractals.

I use a prosumer super-zoom camera -- basically, a point & shoot with a long zoom lens -- not a professional DSLR.

Long-time software of choice is very old-school Photoshop CS3. Along with PS, I'm a 3rd-party filter and plug-in geek, and have amassed a collection of both premium and free filters to assist in telling my visual stories.

My hardware is crazy (in a good way): two self-built, ancient, and constantly-upgraded, repaired, and tweaked, desktop PCs (one Win 7, the other Win XP). I call them 'Frank' and 'Stein'. :) The Win 7 system is connected to the 'net, the XP is not. They share data through a single data-link cable, and a 32gb flash drive which I shift between them as needed.

Frank and Stein are connected to a single 24" monitor (TN panel, not IPS), two standard keyboards, and two mice. (No tablets or other sophisticated input devices.) Honestly, a big element of creating my work is the pure fun of dealing with my eccentric hardware/software set-up! No pain, no gain! :-)

Links in my signature lines, below.

Davkin
07-13-2016, 10:45 AM
I'm not real experienced but I do bounce back and forth between traditional and digital art. For photo editing I've been using Paint Shop Pro X4, it's somewhat limited though, definitely not very good for creating original digital art in spite of the name. I do have X8 on the way, we'll see if it's any better.

For original digital art I use Artrage4 on a Surface Pro 3. I think this set up comes the closest to mimicking traditional art tools. In fact there's an artist who makes a living primarily from portrait commissions using that exact same setup.

http://www.philgallowaydraws.co.uk/

b'anna
07-13-2016, 02:16 PM
I've been painting and drawing for as long as I can remember. I think i've tried most digital paint programs out there. My favorite by far is Corel Painter. I've also been using a realitively new and inexpensive program called PaintStorm Studio. I use Paintstorm on the PC as well as On my IPAD pro. The great thing about the ipad version is it as powerful as the pc version. By far the best for the ipad. I've also used Procreate on the ipad quite a bit. ON the PC, I also love Rebelle. It's another newer one but it is amazing for watercolor. Nothing comes close to it for realistic effects, Even my favorite Corel Painter. I've also used ArtRage but I like to be able to tweek my brushes (a lot) and you can only do so much with ArtRage. Also can't forget Photoshop. Surprisingly enough, you can get some realistic results for traditional painting but I use tht more for manipulations.

OH ...and welcome to Digital. Hope to see lots more of you!

Barb

Delofasht
07-21-2016, 12:19 PM
Hello Andrea, I use an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil as my tablet utilizing an app called Astropad, this allows me to work with my iMac over my WiFi, so I can work with my full version desktop software from my couch or bed if I want to. For years I worked with a Wacom Intuos for which I no longer have a need due to Astropad.

Having a touch display that is pressure and tilt sensitive is amazing, and having started down this route I will never go back to a normal pen tablet setup again. My software of choice is ArtRage, it has some limitations for digital photo editing, but as a purely painting tool it is by far my favorite, it feels the most like natural media of the tools I have used thus far.

You can see my work in the link in my signature. Have fun making art! :)

bob63
08-27-2016, 11:19 AM
My style is realistic (as realistic as I can accomplish!). I use a Wacom tablet and stylus. I recently bought a new one, but I used an old Wacom Intuos 2 for a long time.

I work on an iMac in Photoshop CC. I use photo references, but draw/paint one stroke at a time! I use some custom and purchased brushes, but mostly just altered some brushes that came with Photoshop.

Here's my web site and gallery:

http://www.artofbob.net/art-of-bob-gallery.html

DickHutchings
09-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Bump

I'm looking at tablets right now and so far I think the IPad with Apple pen sounds the most promising. This after being absolutely sure that Wacom was the way to go :-) I'm a Windows and android guy, I don't have Apple PCs so I wonder if this will be an issue.

Faust Habenicht
09-30-2016, 12:35 AM
As far as tablets go, DickHutchings, I highly recommend Huion tablets.

I personally own the Huion H610 Pro, and it has served me very well. They are affordable, very large, and they just released a new version of it. I bought mine for about 80 dollars, and I'm sure that WACOMs are great, but I've been able to do quite a bit with this one and have no immediate need to upgrade.

I'm new to digital painting, but have been doing it for about 4-5 months, with a decade of oil painting experience that has been used with it.

I use windows as well, and personally use Corel Painter 2017. I find it much more suited to my style than photoshop, as it is much easier for me to make things that look "painterly" in my opinion and I prefer the GUI.

Yorky
09-30-2016, 04:27 PM
Check out this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZfnoVFpK8)on the essentials of digital art.

Doug

Yorky
10-03-2016, 11:27 AM
There's also a review of five free digital art programs (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1WoOvbuc3U)on youtube.

Doug

LunaticSamurai
12-17-2016, 12:53 PM
Bump

I'm looking at tablets right now and so far I think the IPad with Apple pen sounds the most promising. This after being absolutely sure that Wacom was the way to go :-) I'm a Windows and android guy, I don't have Apple PCs so I wonder if this will be an issue.

Its a bit late i know but if you are looking into Apple iPad pro with apple pencil then you need a Mac. Currently Astropad - (the software that mirrors your Mac) is not available for PC. Although there are some really good alternatives to Photoshop on the iPad Pro.

LunaticSamurai
12-17-2016, 12:55 PM
Aside from other mediums i am also a digital artist. I used to use a Wacom graphics tablet and was eagerly waiting for the time when someone came out with something that could match the Cintique. Apple did that and more with the iPad pro and Astropad.

Now when i am doing digital work i use the iPad Pro and have sold my Wacom.

Yorky
12-23-2016, 03:39 AM
I bought Clip Studio Pro for my HP Windows 10 tablet, it is on special offer at the moment and I paid just 25. It looks good and has lots of levels but I'll be using it for plein air sketching.

Doug

HandyRandy4
02-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Just MS Paint.
I'm fairly new to Digitil Art.

creando
02-19-2017, 04:36 PM
Hi Andrea,

I use Photoshop for drawing and a Wacom Intuos tablet.
It is difficult to recommend what is best, since it all depends on each person's background and target. If you are starting I would strongly recommend to avoid using digital media, learn the fundamentals first with paper and canvas. IMO there is no other way.

here is my portfolio: http://creando.me

theres a lot of advice and good stuff on these forums,
practice and enjoy!

Pedro