PDA

View Full Version : The Spotlight - July 2016 - Summer Vacations

DAK723
06-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Welcome artists!

Here is a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!

The Spotlight is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere.

And, remember, no critiques unless specifically asked for.

The intent is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos this month were taken by me or are from the Reference Image Library. You have permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you cannot copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within "The Spotlight" thread.

This month’s Spotlight is on…Summer Vacations!

As everyone has probably noticed, things are pretty quiet here on WetCanvas, and also here on the Spotlight. It’s summer and things are happening! Things like Summer Vacation! So, this month, let’s put the Spotlight on Summer Vacations!

One of the nice things about the Spotlight is that we all work from the same references. This allows us to get inspired by the work of others and learn from one another, since we all do things a bit differently.

On the other hand, there are benefits when working from your own photos – or from life. When the reference is your own, then the entire process is yours – and in many cases, you feel a greater connection to your work. I did a painting a few years ago of a tree on Lake Ontario. Now, every time I walk by that tree, I think, “Hey that’s my tree!” OK, sounds silly, I know!

When I first started painting, I began like many other folks by using photos found in magazines as my references. In those days before the internet, magazines like National Geographic were the source of many references and much inspiration. As I began to gain experience, however, I realized that I had no connection to those photographs whatsoever. As the years passed, I found that I wanted to paint scenes that were special to me in some way. And in many cases, that meant painting scenes from my summer vacations!

For those that have been taking part in the Spotlight for a while, you would probably recognize many of those scenes – mostly from the Adirondacks, here in New York State. Quite a few of my photo references from those summer vacations have appeared here over the years.

But this month it is your turn! Here is your chance to work from your own references and create paintings that have a bit more meaning to you! If you can, try and find some scenes from favorite vacation spots that you have visited over the years – or perhaps last month or last week! We would love to share in your experiences! And we can do that…through art!

One of my favorite paintings is a scene of the Cliffs of Etretat by Claude Monet. I often wonder, do I love that painting because it is a beautiful painting – or do I feel a greater connection because I have been to those cliffs. When I was a teenager, our family took a summer vacation in Europe and visited there. So, through Monet’s painting, I can be transported there again! And I think that is one of the reasons people paint – to share their experiences!

Many years later I did my own copy of Monet’s painting. Copying master paintings has a long tradition in art – and can be an excellent way of learning. Here is the Monet and my copy. Just in case you don’t have any references available, feel free to use the Monet as a reference if you wish this month!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-Claude_Monet_The_Cliffs_at_Etretat.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-monet-copy.jpg

We don’t have to feel any specific connection to enjoy a painting, of course. I’ve never been to this particular beach, but Emile Gruppe still makes me feel like I’ve been to similar beaches! This painting is copyrighted, but feel free to copy it for your own enjoyment! I know I have (but I don’t have a photo…)!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-gruppe.jpg

And lastly, I’ll include some of my favorite Adirondack paintings and the references I used. Hopefully, you will find some of your own vacation references, but if not, then feel free to use these!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-dak3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-dak1.jpg

I don't know how good the painting is, but doesn't it look nice in that frame!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-dak4.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-dak2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-dak5.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jun-2016/82335-dak6.JPG

So feel free to use the above references or paint and share your own Summer Vacation paintings! Show us the references if you like (but not required). And feel free to share any stories or let us know why the places are special to you!

It's July - let's go on Summer vacation!:clap:

Don

Nick7
07-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Hi Don,
Your paintings are beautiful! Thank you for staying with us. :)

I don't have any plans for the summer but it will be fun to paint places from my to go list :D And copying other artists sounds like a great opportunity to learn.

(And I hope Jay will paint some lobster! ;) I have never eaten any. They are too nice to eat :D)

Still-trying
07-01-2016, 07:42 AM
Don, I love seeing your work and hearing your voice about the paintings. It's like a real visit with you. Thanks. I'm excited to paint favorite places!!

Nick. We enjoyed lobster as often as possible in Maine. Took a picture of one lunch...a cup of lobster stew. I'll try to show it. (I'm not a still life person but the smell of warm lobster and butter might just entice me to paint it..even if only a memory.)

kedwards
07-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Thank you for sharing your memories and your paintings. The framed piece does, indeed, look beautiful. And I really enjoyed the masterpieces you selected as well. Monet is always a favorite of mine, but that Gruppe... wow! I was looking forward to some new inspiration from the July spotlight and this theme is perfect for that.

Ooh, I'd love to see your to-go list possibilities, Nick, and Jay, you've got me craving lobster now. Since you cleaned Maine out of them last week, I sure hope they replenished their stocks for us for this weekend!

Nick7
07-01-2016, 03:35 PM
I have looked up Emile Gruppe's painting. I really like many of them.
Don, do you know about some project that compared oils and pastels? I think that painterly style can look similar when the paintings are painted with oils or with pastels. But I would love to see two identical paintings side by side.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that painterly style is more common among oil painters than pastelists.

And Don, thank you very much for mentioning Harley Brown the other day. I was surprised to learn that he was a member of WC and I am eagerly awaiting his book to be delivered by Amazon! :)

DAK723
07-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Don, do you know about some project that compared oils and pastels? I think that painterly style can look similar when the paintings are painted with oils or with pastels. But I would love to see two identical paintings side by side.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that painterly style is more common among oil painters than pastelists.

And Don, thank you very much for mentioning Harley Brown the other day. I was surprised to learn that he was a member of WC and I am eagerly awaiting his book to be delivered by Amazon! :)

I would consider oils and pastels to be quite similar. Acrylics can be handled the same way, too, I suppose. They all differ from watercolor in that they can be layered with lighter colors over darker, if one wants.

Bob Rohm has written one of the best books about painting in a painterly manner, in my opinion, titled The Painterly Style. I don't think he has any direct comparisons, but he does do demos in both oil and pastel.

I think both oils and pastels have many examples of painters who paint in a painterly style. My definition of painterly would be emphasizing shape rather than line.

Don

Nick7
07-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Thank you, Don!

Equus Art
07-01-2016, 07:13 PM

Hey Nick, have you checked out Barbara Jaenicke? http://barbarajaenicke.com/

She does some gorgeous work and has shown the same painting done in both pastels and oils. I want to grow up and paint like her! :heart:

Cat

DAK723
07-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Bob Rohm has written one of the best books about painting in a painterly manner, in my opinion, titled The Painterly Style.

Don

Well, actually it's titled The Painterly Approach. Since I have the book, I should have gotten it right the first time!

Don

robertsloan2
07-01-2016, 09:02 PM
These are beautiful! Lovely references, great idea. I hope to be able to do this one, really got the itch for it and have wanted to pastel but the weather's been hard on me. Especially outdoors. Does plein air count?

DAK723
07-01-2016, 10:16 PM
These are beautiful! Lovely references, great idea. I hope to be able to do this one, really got the itch for it and have wanted to pastel but the weather's been hard on me. Especially outdoors. Does plein air count?

Absolutely, plein air counts! I hope you get a chance to join us!

Don

Nick7
07-02-2016, 04:52 PM
Hey Nick, have you checked out Barbara Jaenicke? http://barbarajaenicke.com/

She does some gorgeous work and has shown the same painting done in both pastels and oils. I want to grow up and paint like her! :heart:

Cat

Cat, thank you very much!

Rob, I hope you are able to join us :)

Still-trying
07-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Cat, I loved her blog. Thank you.

Robert: any day can be vacation! Come paint!

I hope to paint tomorrow. One granddaughter sent a sunset from Africa. One granddaughter sent a sunset from Prague. It's vacation so it counts!!!

robertsloan2
07-04-2016, 10:15 PM
My whole life is vacation now, retirement. But it's summer and I do remember what it was like when the grim snow-bound misery of the year broke for a season. I did something crazy yesterday, the whole family visited a friend with a gorgeous pool and I went into it up to my knees. At that point I froze and got sick, but sat there for a good long hour in the Golden Hour watching my grandchildren swim with their friend and soaking in the colors of pool and neon pool toys, lime-yellow noodles and screaming pink-orange float mattresses that the blue showed through. I just immersed in color. We will be going back so I might follow Hockney in subject and paint that.

Or just finish the one I started weeks ago. Thank you! Also thanks for that definition of painterly, it makes sense to me!

Still-trying
07-06-2016, 07:41 AM
ok, gave it a shot yesterday. 11 x 14 on Uart 400 with T L pastels. Made a mistake. I forgot that Uart likes an underpainting or those beige divots show through especially on the darks. (Gives a lot of texture but I'm not used to it. However I like the challenge of constantly changing papers and pastels.) This is a view across the river not far from here. The painting looks like an antique!!! Art is so much fun.

all comments welcome. MOST welcome.

Nick7
07-06-2016, 08:05 AM
Uart likes an underpainting or those beige divots show through especially on the darks
Thank you for a huge lightbulb moment! :D :D I have never used wet underpainting and never understood why wet underpainting would be better than the one done with hard pastels.

You are really good at skies!
Since you asked, my only comment would be about the right bottom corner. I can't decide if there is something between the bushes (?) in the foreground and the trees. I think that the trees are farther in the distance but that's only my guess, I can't read it from the painting. The only explanation I can come up with is that those I rather high bushes so you couldn't see the grassland (for example) behind them. :)

kedwards
07-06-2016, 08:39 AM
Lovely, impressionistic style. Makes me think of Monet. The effect is very pleasant and I like the "texture" provided by having some of the ground showing. Thanks for getting us started with such a lovely landscape. Maybe it will inspire me to pick up my pastels again.

Still-trying
07-06-2016, 08:52 AM
Thanks about the skies Nick. Glad to provide an "aHA!" Moment about the underpainting.

The foreground. In the photo...black. Of course! It is flat ground with those trees near the waters edge. But the pastels decided to create so much texture, in collusion with the Uart...they decided to make whatever scrubby stuff you see! From across the room, I kind of like the painting.
The spot I question is the edge of the orange sky down low by the horizon. Might need a punch of color? Not sure. And should I attempt to darken the foreground more. I would rather not if it sort of works.

Thanks Kay. Kind of Monet, huh? I KNEW I liked you!!! I love to paint skies and sunsets. And darkish scenes.

kedwards
07-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Hmm, i like where the light meets the trees in that bottom right. You're probably right the whiteness of it may be a photographic effect, but It sort of makes me think of the experience of eyes dazzled by the brightness.

Speaking of which, it was the same idea of setting sun meeting water that I decided to try for my first foray into this week's spotlight. This is a little experiment, inspired by the after-images that lingered when I admired the setting sun too long. This is a quick 5x7 sketch just to get the idea down and decide if I want to work it in to something more complete

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2016/112055-Kim.jpg

kedwards
07-06-2016, 12:52 PM
Darn cell phones... It came out side ways

Nick7
07-06-2016, 02:14 PM
Darn cell phones... It came out side ways

haha, Kim, I found it interesting even without knowing it was not in the right position :lol:

Still-trying
07-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Kim, I thought that was a line from sunglasses!! Very interesting.

(Sorry I called you the wrong name earlier...I'm sure I'll do it again!!)

Will you do a painting with this idea? Could be beautiful.

water girl
07-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Jay, I agree. Your painting has that old world charm.
Kim, you are right side up now. But here's something interesting. When it was on its side, it almost appeared to be the sun shining through the bare trunks of trees.

DAK723
07-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Jay, Very nice! I, too, see the Monet in you!

Kim, Very powerful sketch! I think this should be developed further!

Don

Still-trying
07-06-2016, 08:30 PM
Wow, I'm"old world," (thanks Karen)
And Don and Kim see Monet. I think that guy has been stealing my ideas!!! Thanks Don.

kedwards
07-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Thanks for "straightening me out" Karen. I I see what you mean about the trees when it was sideways, maybe I'll hold on to that thought for a future painting.

In the meantime, I worked up something a little different. I'm calling it "low tide with wine". It's 9x12 canson but I wish I used pastelmat. I will likely do some more fiddling with it, so comments are very welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2016/1977258-bill_low_tide_pastel.jpg

robertsloan2
07-06-2016, 11:42 PM
Kim, cool sunset on water! Love that stream of light. The scene with fisherman and boat is so moving, I can almost feel the water he's wading in and see the boat swaying, so much motion and atmosphere. The brown hues give it an old time sepia photo feeling yet it's so natural and impressionist, wonderful painting!

This morning I was outside waiting for my daughter to come back from trimming some horses and painted a study of a brilliant emerald plant in the morning sun, lightened the rocks behind it and played with hues on the dirt to complement its joyous colors. Really played with high key color on this one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jul-2016/70184-7-6-2016_Pastel_Plant_Study.jpg
The Bright Green Plant (life)
9" x 12"
Cretacolor Pastels Carre' on orange Canson Mi Tientes smooth side.
Fun in the sun, from life, I loved its mad green against the paving stones and dirt and sky.

Still-trying
07-07-2016, 05:31 AM
Kim, you've got something here. This piece has emotional presence. It's beautifully painted, starting with the sky, the atmosphere...... But the guy! His stance. We want to know more! I LOVE it! well done!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Robert, I love the shapes you captured. The leaves. Very beautiful. Nice high key project.

kedwards
07-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Thank you Robert and Jay. I think one of the alterations I'll make it to darken the background around the wine glass so the glass shows up better.

Robert, you succeeded in capturing that brilliance of the emerald green and against the warm sun. The colors are wonderful.

water girl
07-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Kim, it's the splash of warm light on your figure that gives it great interest.
Robert, happy to see you painting. Your choice in Canson color adds excitement to the painting. Well done!

Still-trying
07-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Karen, thank you for explaining that. Fascinating!

kedwards
07-08-2016, 04:29 PM
I deepened some of the colors and adjust the contrast in the background around the wine glass. Also, I Photographed the painting in better lighting, which shows this much more like it looks. For better or worse, It no longer has the aged sepia look, but I think it gained a little depth and impact. What do you think?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jul-2016/1977258-image.jpg

Still-trying
07-08-2016, 04:56 PM
The painting is better as a painting. Deeper, richer. I see the guy thinking..."hmmm, the tide seems to be going out. Do I have to do something so I don't have to swim to the boat?"
It's a very good painting.
If you hadn't touched it, it was a wonderful painting already.

I love how you set moods and add people. I'm going to have to try to sketch people. But you did the guy as if it were ever so easy for you.
Lovely work

DAK723
07-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Kim, Lovely painting! The figure has an real "naturalness' to the pose! A very impressionistic piece!

Robert, Very nice, vibrant piece! Lovely gestural quality!

Don

PeggyB
07-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Lovely paintings and good challenge Don. However, you mentioned above that pastels, oils, and acrylics are worked similarly, and are different from watercolors because they all work by placing light over dark colors. Unless acrylics have greatly changed in the last 30+ years (when I used them), they are more like watercolor than oil or pastel. Many of the acrylic colors are transparent or semi-transparent like oil pastels and somewhat more like watercolor than they are like dry pastel or oils.

Another good - very good - artist who uses both oil and pastel in landscape paintings is Lorenzo Chavez. Although I can't think of any specific pieces he's done in both, I know I've seen some. He almost always works plein air, and I've seen some pastels that he's done in the field in pastel followed by larger oil paintings of the same scene done in studio from that pastel. I would most certainly call his work "painterly".

Still-trying
07-10-2016, 06:37 AM
Don, isn't it about time the gang here at Spotlight saw some shots of Sammy? Been a while since Sammy checked in with us!!!

Nick7
07-10-2016, 06:51 AM
The paintings you post are so wonderful!

I painted a sunset on dark Canson yesterday, but it looks like a kid's drawing. I will try something else. I wonder if I would be able to do some pastel sketches, just with hard pastels. I would love to be able to sketch buildings that way, but it seems to be an unreachable goal so far.
It will require lots of practising that's for sure.

Still-trying
07-10-2016, 07:05 AM
I think a sunset on dark paper might be really hard to do. It would tone down the whole scene. IMHO.
I think you can do anything, Nick. Just try a small one.

Nick7
07-10-2016, 07:40 AM
Thanks for believing in me Jay :D

I was looking up pictures of old houses and came across the Golden lane in Prague. Well, that doesn't meet the criteria of a "small one" at all. Those little houses with distorted perspective! Oh well, at least I can try :D

Still-trying
07-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Go for it! Great subject. I looked them up. Wonderful little houses.

Nick7
07-10-2016, 08:09 AM
Artists seem to be very fond if it. It had looked wonderfully easy before I actually tried :D :D

DAK723
07-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Lovely paintings and good challenge Don. However, you mentioned above that pastels, oils, and acrylics are worked similarly, and are different from watercolors because they all work by placing light over dark colors. Unless acrylics have greatly changed in the last 30+ years (when I used them), they are more like watercolor than oil or pastel. Many of the acrylic colors are transparent or semi-transparent like oil pastels and somewhat more like watercolor than they are like dry pastel or oils.
Hi Peggy, what I actually said was: "I would consider oils and pastels to be quite similar. Acrylics can be handled the same way, too, I suppose. They all differ from watercolor in that they can be layered with lighter colors over darker, if one wants."

For those that haven't worked in other mediums, I will add some additional explanation - at least based on my experience. Yes, Peggy is correct that, in general, acrylics tend to be more transparent than oils. Of course, every tube of oil or acrylic paint is categorized as transparent, semi-transparent, semi-opaque or opaque - so you can be working more transparently or more opaquely depending on the colors you choose. How much the paint is thinned will also play a major factor. Acrylics can be thinned with water, so they can be used almost exactly like watercolor, if one wants. If acrylics aren't thinned (or not thinned much) it may take a few more layers of light color to cover dark colors, but since acrylics dry so quickly, this is easily done. Personally I paint in acrylics exactly the same way as I do in oils.

Here are my copies of the Gruppe painting that I mentioned earlier. One is in oils, the other acrylics. Although hard to tell at this size, in the acrylics version the colors are more transparent. However, in both version all the darkest darks, tree foliage and trunks are painted starting with the darkest color and the lighter colors painted on top. The blue of the sky was painted first, then the clouds were painted over the blue. The white highlights of the clouds are painted last - and it is there that I really need to add another layer of white to the acrylic version (bottom) since the paint is more transparent!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2016/82335-two_gruppes.JPG

People coming to a new medium may often hear that you paint pastels (or oils) dark to light, but this is by no means a rule. You can paint light colors over dark, dark colors over light, both light and dark colors over mid-value. A lot will depend on how well the light colors can cover the darker ones. In pastel, this often has to do with how soft the pastels are - as softer pastels usually cover better and are more opaque than the harder pastels. It also depends on the paper as papers with more tooth will hold more layers better, thus making opaque layering easier. There are all generalizations to some degree, but the point is that there is no rule as to how paint is applied. Some ways will work better than others and with experience painters find out what works best for them.

Don

Still-trying
07-10-2016, 10:53 AM
What a great explanation Don! and I love both of your paintings. Very impressive! Given a choice, I'd buy the acrylic....lovely.

I'm doing a scene from vacation in Yellowstone and just did my first alcohol wash on Uart. always exploring! fun. maybe I should just drink the stuff?

DAK723
07-10-2016, 10:56 AM
Don, isn't it about time the gang here at Spotlight saw some shots of Sammy? Been a while since Sammy checked in with us!!!
Here is Sammy last Sunday - her 1st birthday!!:clap: (My how time flies!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2016/82335-sammy-1yr.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2016/82335-sammy1.JPG

My summer vacation this year is staying at home and playing with Sammy!!

Don

Still-trying
07-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Oh my! She is just beautiful! Happy birthday Sammy!!! Thanks Don. You made my day!

kedwards
07-10-2016, 12:33 PM
Oh Sammy is gorgeous! I Can see why you'd want to stay home and play with her. Thank you for posting your copies of the gruppe painting too. It's interesting to see side by side with the different media. I like them both, but I really like the vibrancy of the acrylics version.

Thanks for the comments from everyone on the boat picture. I have another similar in mind that I've started sketching from the Maine trip, but all this talk of oils has me wanting to pull out the paints. JAY, I have seen some figurative works from you that were beautiful, as I recall. I would love to see more.

Still-trying
07-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the kindness Kim. I have to do Don's figure course!

Today's vacation memories. Yellowstone. Compressed down to 8 x 10! Uart 400 with alcohol underpainting. Terry L. under and over the alcohol. A few Art Spectrum at end. I combined two photos. May need help with that. All comments and critics welcome.

Nick7
07-10-2016, 12:57 PM
Don, she is beautiful! No wonder you want to stay home! Hmm when was the last time we had Spotlight about animals? :angel:

Nick7
07-10-2016, 01:01 PM
OMG Jay, I love it!
I wish you made it as WIP :) I so struggle with painting bushes and trees loosely. I tend to end up with scribbles without depth.

The only confusing part is the lower left corner. I kind of like that it is empty but that diagonal line makes me wonder what it is and why it is so straight. Or maybe it is the grey without much shadows what makes me wonder.
But as I said, I love it. A lot!

Still-trying
07-10-2016, 01:21 PM
I do have some shots of work in progress to show you why i needed the alcohol with Uart. I'll put them here. First is just early pastel and second is after a careful alcohol wash.

lower corner is road so...kind of a blah area. I alway rush to put the paintings on spotlight to stop me from picking at them! I'll work on that corner. Thank you.

kedwards
07-10-2016, 01:34 PM
Wonderful painting, jay. It's really beautiful.

Nick7
07-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Thank you Jay! I have never used alcohol wash. I watched sky demos of Liz Haywood Sullivan and after she does the alcohol wash the sky is almost finished :D
Maybe I need to buy some equivalent of UART and try it. :)

Still-trying
07-10-2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks Kim.

Is it Fisher they say is like Uart? Vague memory.
My sky was not finished after my alcohol. And it's not the light areas that cause trouble with Uart. It's the dark areas. Those white divots that show. I think I like a finer paper that Uart but change is good. I have other grades to try.

robertsloan2
07-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks for comments on my green plant! Found what the study is for since my daughter got a photo of barn cat Calcifer laying under it behind some other vegetation.

Kim, like the better photo and the changes on your painting, the wine glass shines well now.

Jay, wow on your landscape from combined photos! Thanks for sharing progress photos too, that's very heartening.

Don, cool seeing the acrylic and oils version of the palms!

Still-trying
07-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Thanks Robert. That was exciting to combine too photos. I loved Yellowstone. Of course I put the alcohol wash photos after the painting. Should have done other way around!

Will we get to see Calcifer? Sounds like a fun painting.

CM Neidhofer
07-15-2016, 12:04 AM
Here is Sammy last Sunday - her 1st birthday!!:clap: (My how time flies!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2016/82335-sammy-1yr.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2016/82335-sammy1.JPG

My summer vacation this year is staying at home and playing with Sammy!!

Don

She's beautiful!

DAK723
07-15-2016, 08:41 AM
Jay, Very nice Yellowstone painting! Thanks for showing your progress shots, too!

Sammy says thank you for all the nice comments! Woof, woof!

Don

Still-trying
07-15-2016, 09:18 AM
Thanks Don. I have one from Yellowstone with buffalo surrounding our car!!! Would love to have a go at that one!!! Buffalo???? An abstract maybe?

A virtual treat for you Sammy. Enjoy!

Still-trying
07-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Innocently driving down the road in Yellowstone and you see this in front of you. We stopped. Holding our breath!!!! all we could hear was low grunting!!! What a special moment. I had to share.

kedwards
07-15-2016, 04:26 PM
Wow that's so cool!

Still-trying
07-15-2016, 05:05 PM
It was very special, Kim. Early in the morning on a rainy day. My window was half open and one passed right next to me and rolled her eyes my way. But that sound of grunts was amazing!!!

Don, sorry to highjack the thread.

Nick7
07-16-2016, 04:23 PM
Omg :eek: What a vacation experience! We want to see it painted! :clap: :lol:

That was really cool. No wonder you held your breath!

Nick7
07-18-2016, 12:15 PM
:angel: Does a dream vacation belong in the thread as well?

I would love to hear your comments. I didn't want to paint everything equally detailed because I wanted to keep the focus in the middle, but I am not sure if this works. Don't hesitate and tell me what's on your mind :lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2016/1892815-CAM03906a.jpg

Still-trying
07-18-2016, 12:31 PM
I think it works great Nick. If you keep the focus in the middle, I suspect there should be some "Mouth parts" there. (Our crabs in the US have them.) I love the claws, how they shine!! Very good job.

I'm working on another Yellowstone..with a buffalo! You shamed me into it!!

Nick7
07-18-2016, 01:11 PM
LOL Jay! I am looking forward to see your buffaloes! I was looking up a lobster ;) but end up iwth a crab.
Than you for the tip! The mouth parts... they are very contrasting in the photo (turquoise against almost black). When I tried that it drew more attention than the eyes... I need to try to paint it on a scrap of paper to see what will work.
Thank you :)

Still-trying
07-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Nick, the reason I mentioned the mouth parts is they are usually moving (you could make them a little blurry) and there are usually a few bubbles there too.

Sorry, my painting on,y has one buffalo but he may just run away!!!

Nick7
07-18-2016, 01:27 PM
:) It would be nice to see them in real life. Both :D Crabs and buffaloes.

LOL and keep him in your painting!

Still-trying
07-18-2016, 02:17 PM
This morning's vacation trip to Yellowstone again. 12 x 16 on White Pastel Premier. I think 600. Art Spectrum pastels and some Schmincke, Ludwig, and pastel pencil. Need work but needs time for me to figure out what to do! All comments WELCOME. (The buffalo was getting tired of posing there.) On Nick's request!

kedwards
07-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Sally lightfoot crab. What lovely, beautiful, and vibrant painting! I see how you used more sharpness in the detail in the front and just suggested the details of the legs toward the back, to give it depth on the page. I think it worked very effectively.

DAK723
07-18-2016, 02:22 PM
It was very special, Kim. Early in the morning on a rainy day. My window was half open and one passed right next to me and rolled her eyes my way. But that sound of grunts was amazing!!!

Don, sorry to highjack the thread.

No hijacking done - Your pics are summer vacation pics! Lovely Buffalo painting!

Nick, Like your crab painting! Sure, dream vacations count, too!

Don

Nick7
07-18-2016, 02:35 PM
wow, Jay, I really don't know what you want to add or change! I like it a lot. I love the tree in the lower right corner.

The forest on the horizon is a bit monotonous but lots of forests are that way. I like how you suggested the hill in the foreground and then the slope. I wouldn't have known how to do that.

I don't think it need anything.

Oh and the sky. You are good at it! :)

kedwards
07-18-2016, 02:35 PM
We must have crossposted, Jay. I love the buffalo and the soft, sunlit landscape. Such a peaceful scene.

Nick7
07-18-2016, 02:39 PM
LOL, Kim that's funny. I keep forgetting that the board is international. So my thought "nobody knows how exactly all the details look anyway" was kind of off :D Jay comment was spot on an you even know his name! I am glad he is recognizable! :D
Thank you.

Still-trying
07-18-2016, 04:56 PM
Thank you DON, KiM and NICK.

In real life, I have to smooth edges of clouds. At least.
More ideas will suggest themselves as it sits on the mantle.

Nick, that tree line is really pretty flat. This is a vast area. The buffalo was much father back but I coaxed him forward. I wish I had made him closer but he was afraid of the crab!!!

Nick7
07-18-2016, 05:47 PM
:D :D you are super crazy, Jay :D

The painting is great!

Nick7
07-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Perhaps you will find it interesting: there is a free demo of a sunset from Liz Haywood Sullivan here:
http://www.artistsnetwork.com/articles/art-demos-techniques/sunset-on-the-river-a-pastel-demo

I am not sure if it is really brand new or if it was published before.

Still-trying
07-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks Nick. That was kind of you to share with us.

Nick7
07-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Sky goes well with the vacation theme :) It looks so easy to paint but after trying several times, I know better than to say that... I have her book and demos, but it's certainly a difficult subject for me.

DAK723
07-21-2016, 09:50 PM
Thanks Nick for providing that link! It's nice to see step by step demos like that. Might be good to keep that link in mind for next month...hint...hint...as I have been shooting a lot of sunset photos the past month or so.

Don

Still-trying
07-22-2016, 11:19 AM
:thumbsup: :clap: I heard you....:music: :music:

Nick7
07-22-2016, 12:08 PM
Oh boy, what have I done! :D :D
That would be a challenge. But I like watching clouds and it would be great to know how to paint them as well.

naglel
07-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Hello everyone! it's early morning, the house is quiet and sleepy still and I thought .."just a quick peek in WC and see what has been happening"...such lovely paintings and summer tales! Makes my fingers itch to pick up those pastels again
...but not quite yet, we are home from my husbands surgery and he is doing Great! , my days are filled with helping him recover and counting my blessings!
So keep those paintings coming, I really enjoyed visiting the Spotlight, such a warm inviting place full of Art, chat and laughter! He is waking up now, time to start my day....

Still-trying
07-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Raini, it's so good to hear from you and wonderful news that your husband is recovering well. I'm glad you got a smile from reading the Spotlight. I've missed you! Hurry back and best regards to the patient!

kedwards
07-24-2016, 03:14 PM
Raini, welcome back, even if only to read for now. My thoughts are with you in your husband's recovery. I look forward to seeing your paintings again soon.

DAK723
07-24-2016, 06:37 PM
Raini, Glad to see you and glad to hear that your husband is recovering well!

Don

Still-trying
07-26-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm calling this "Don's Vacation" since he had to be on vacation to take this lovely photo, right? (Reference was in January 2016, Spotlight.) Thanks Don!

Painting is 11 x 14 on white pastel premier either 400 or 600. I did a block in (simplify?) with hard pastels and then put Liquitex clear gesso over the whole painting, from left to right sweeping with a 3/4 inch soft brush. The part by the flowers, I got painterly with the clear gesso which by now was green. This sunk the pastel into the grooves and made the painting very intense. The darks got DARK and the yellow got YELLOW! Then I got afraid of it!! Had to back away!!

So I worked to tone it down. Mostly hard pastels then Schmincke at the end for the wild flowers.

I would REQUEST a hard critique. Should the flowers come up higher? I realize that the sweet spot is in the middle of the prairie. (No, Nick, I'm not adding a buffalo or two...) All suggestions welcome. I can show the gessoed version if anyone wants to see it. Thanks everyone

Nick7
07-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Oh, no buffalo then :( What about a lobster? :D

Jay, because it is you and because you asked for it. You know that I have no experiences with landscape paintings but as an ordinary person who is looking at it, this is what comes to my mind. (I haven't seen the reference photo)

I like the distant hills, but I am not sure about the forest - the front row of trees looks too much like a wall (except for the left part). Because of the solid dark green behind the solitary trees in front of it.
The line of the forest is quite straight.
My eyes follow the white diagonal line across the yellow meadow (?) to the very edge and then turn diagonally to the left to the hills. Was that your intention?

After taking a look at the photo...
When I am looking at the photo, my eyes kind of skip the meadow and go over the forest to the hills and back to the trees in front of the forest.
In your painting, the meadow is wider and doesn't have any green that would tie it to the forest. This, together with the dark green of the forest (the wall I mentioned) makes me stay on the meadow and I keep thinking I am there ;) Why would you want me to keep there. Then I decide to follow the white diagonal.

The horizontal way you painted the meadow perhaps also makes the painting work differently than the photo.

Hmmm, and now I am not sure if I should post this...

Still-trying
07-26-2016, 12:23 PM
Nick, that is a terrific observation. Exactly what a need. Another pair of eyes. (Perhaps you don't realize that you usually give excellent critiques when you choose to give them.)
I saw that wall of green. Tried to ignore it. Saw the line across...didn't fix it enough. Thank you, I'll work on those areas.

Yes, I wanted the viewer to follow the diagonal line and to turn, to stay in the painting.

From across the room, I see three parallel lines in the wildflower clump on the right. I have to fix that.
I think I would like to make the flowers higher, lone ones, perhaps. Maybe portraits of a few flowers. But I'm a bit chicken!!! I'll have to do some thumbnails to see if this works. Maybe print out the painting and try different plans.

Thank you so much. Stay tuned for the next chapter of this story. It just might include a crab or two.

Nick7
07-26-2016, 12:31 PM
LOL, Jay, thank you, I needed a good laugh. I haven't painted anything today, just done a lot of paperwork and spent too much time looking up prices of watercolor and pastel papers across the Europe.
(Btw, Mi Teintes Touch is a paper or a board? Can it be rolled? Or cut? Thank you)

Jay, look at the post by Jackie in this thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1408826

Yes, I ignored the strange mouth of my crab as well. We should have known better! :D

Still-trying
07-26-2016, 01:04 PM
Mi Teintes Touch in my house is paper. Maybe it comes like a board also but mine is paper. Can be cut, yes.

Of course I didn't see Jackie's thread yet. But I worked on the painting. Is this better?

Still-trying
07-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Thank you for the link to Jackie's comment. Spot on!!

DAK723
07-26-2016, 09:15 PM
Jay, Very nice painting! It's from Williamstown Massachusetts - the Berkshire mountains. Home of one of the greatest art museums that not too many people know about! It's home to perhaps the best collection of Renoirs anywhere. And some other wonderful impressionist paintings and many more.

Don

Still-trying
07-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Don, thank you. It's really nice to know the location.

And thank you for the illustrated pm. I'll put some fertilizer on those flowers this morning. Hopefully they will grow up higher!!

Nick7
07-27-2016, 08:37 AM
Definitely better :) The horizontal line of the bottom of the forest is probably difficult to change without adding more trees or bushes into the meadow and that would make the painting very different.
You make me want to try to paint it :D

Still-trying
07-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Please do, Nick! Don kindly suggested that I raise the line of flowers. Just about to start that now. You never know what will come out once we start "correcting!"

Nick7
07-27-2016, 09:32 AM
haha, so, I should make known that I criticize but I am not able to paint it myself? :D Nice...

naglel
07-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Jay, lovely painting..the "corrections" are adding even more! The use of gesso sounds interesting, must try that....thanks for sharing your process:wave:
I was looking over our summer pics from the lake before we had to go in for Kens surgery and it occured to me that I had some shots of a few paintings I did out there. They are on a 2'x4' rough plywood board that was already wood stained. It was great at the lake working outside...I could get really messy and working on such a large support was awesome lol! These are all hanging in the cabin now, two of them are just from imagination and having fun, my ladies of the woods! One is of the "fireweed" that blooms in June and the other is our shoreline. Hope you enjoy these!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2016/1034772-image9621.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2016/1034772-image9631.jpg

Still-trying
07-27-2016, 09:37 AM
You can do anything!

Someone (DAK723). Might have just had a birthday. Hmmmm. Happy Birthday Don! Thanks for all you do for us.

Nick7
07-27-2016, 09:44 AM
Hi Raini, your paintings are nice! Interesting technique and subject!

Oh, really, Don? :) Enjoy your day and thank you for your lessons!

Still-trying
07-27-2016, 11:02 AM
Awesome Raini! You were productive at the lake! And such large supports too. Good for you! I love the water the best. Those reflection lines put me in mind of the ice that will form on that lake. Nice thought in hot weather?

Nick? (tap tap tap...landscape?)

So...try try again. I think it's improving. Lucky for me I have those flowers blooming on my deck. An unusual wild flower so I'm enclosing a photo. Echinacea and some Rudbeckia. Hope that's ok.

Don kindly suggested I might pay more attention to a grid...to have more area show up sort of near the cross hairs. Hope I"m headed in the right direction. Thanks Don. I'm more comfortable with it now.

Nick7
07-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Better and better! Breaking the yellow area helps :)

I think I feel way too intimidated by your current painting :D

kedwards
07-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Lovely jay! It was pretty and well-drawn in the first place, but the additional work made the painting much more engaging and interesting.

Raini, thank you for sharing, your paintings are so original. The lake must have really inspired your creative impulse!

Still-trying
07-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Thank you so much Kim. Fun torture, these pastel paintings, eh?

DAK723
07-27-2016, 06:10 PM
Jay, Very nice update! I think those flowers do a better job now of getting into the picture and breaking up the large yellow meadow!

Raini, Wonderful paintings! You were very productive on your vacation! I, on the other hand, am quite lazy on my vacations!

And yes, secret revealed...the 723 in my user name does stand for July 23rd, my birthday!

Don

Still-trying
07-27-2016, 06:20 PM
Thanks again for the pm Don. Hope Sammy made you a nice cake!!

naglel
07-27-2016, 08:10 PM
Thanks Jay, Nick, Kim and Don. I am permanently on vacation tho, retired now so plenty of time to relax and to paint!

naglel
07-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Finally got to sit down and try out my Uuart 600, I like it very much. I tackled a reference photo I have saved for some time, love the tree bending to the prairie winds, so common around here. C&C welcome:) :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2016/1034772-img7011.jpg

Still-trying
07-29-2016, 07:24 AM
Very dramatic Raini! The green in the sky makes me think a storm is trying to form. Nice overall unity in the painting. Wow, you must have constant wind!

naglel
07-29-2016, 07:31 AM
Ha, I have a hairstyle that over the years I have dubbed "prairie hair"! The only way to tame it is to invest in large amounts of hair spray before venturing outside!
I feel for this poor tree, over time it grows like this, so tired it was of trying to keep its branches upright!

Nick7
07-29-2016, 09:34 AM
LOL, Raini!! :D
I like it. It's fresh and dramatic, just as Jay said.

Nick7
07-29-2016, 09:39 AM
Jay mentioned the January Spotlight and I liked another reference photo in the thread. I hope it's all right. Although, I can't think of any excuse why to post it in Summer Vacations :clear:
I liked how Ruthie made her version colorful, but maybe I went a bit overboard :D
Any comments are very welcomed! Thank you.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2016/1892815-CAM03957a.jpg

naglel
07-29-2016, 10:27 AM
I remember this ref Nick! Nicely done, love the water and the great fall colors, not too overboard for me!

Nick7
07-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Thank you Raini. I like to paint from the same reference as more experienced artists at WC. It makes me admire them even more and it is definitely a great way to learn.

Nick7
07-29-2016, 01:29 PM
I have added more blue and violet to my previous painting of Angkor Wat and tried to add more darks. It suits the theme of the thread a bit better than the snow scene :)

La Carte again

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jul-2016/1892815-CAM03959a.jpg

kedwards
07-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Oh, maybe we were crossposting, I just saw the angkor wat painting. How cool! What an amazing place that must be to visit! I love the way you did the building with those beuatiful mossy colors. An unusual and difficult subject, but you did a lovely job with it.

kedwards
07-29-2016, 01:38 PM
Darn it, i wasn't crossposting. Seems my post didn't go up at all.

Raini, the colors and the strokes are fantastic. The painting really catches the feeling of sun and wind. I'm glad to see you are painting and the you didn't do this lovely work on scrap paper ;) How do you working with the Uart?

Nick, my first thought when I saw your picture was how striking the bright orange leaves looked against the complimentary tones of winter. I don't think you went overboard at all.

Nick7
07-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks a lot Kim :) I am about to paint the scene you drew! The one with the "pine" trees and the path. I really like it, hopefully I will manage to get the greens right. Well, not only greens!

kedwards
07-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Oh fun! I can't wait to see it!

naglel
07-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Kim, thanks I'm glad you like it ;) I was pleasantly surprised with the Uuart paper..600 grade...much better than on scrap... Tho I think perhaps I may have a small yet avid fan following of the "Scrap Paper Projects" lol!
Nick, very interesting painting, tree roots, moss and ruins deep in the jungle ...has me dreaming of far away places!

DAK723
07-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Raini, Lovely painting of the leaning tree! I like the way you have mixed many colors in all areas of the painting!

Nick, Goodness me! If I recall, you've been hesitant to do landscapes as they seem too difficult. Well, your winter scene is great! You've done a wonderful job of creating value shapes - especially that rich, dark color you've used for the water and the background trees. Your orange and red leaves just pop against that background color! Your Angkor Wat painting is really nice too!

Don

Nick7
07-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Don, without Ruthie, it wouldn't be this colorful, all credits go to her :) It was very interesting to paint the snow though - creating little waves in terrain just by using colors. That's something I still haven't gotten used to :D It still feels like magic.

I am still not sure how I feel about painting blue and pink snow. :) I didn't see those colors in the photo but without it, it would be a bit boring. Is it possible that the colors were there in RL, but it didn't "transfer" into the photo?

And the temple... I think I didn't understand Jackie well. In the first pear painting, I had painted the cast shadow very violet despite the fact that the table was brown.
From what I understood from the Sally Strand's painting, cast shadows have the color of the surface, but a bit darker (because of the absence of light). Is it true?
I tried it with the roots but somehow without a touch of violet (even though they are brown) it didn't have any spark.
And I added quite a lot violet on the buildings because it was suddenly more interesting and I liked how the violet went well with the green moss.

So, maybe the point is violet in shadow is OK, but I need to keep something from the color of the surface as well?

Painting blue from the sky on the sunlit surface is another challenge. I wasn't bold enough here, so the blue turned quite grey :clear: But again, painting a tree with blue pastel seem to be a bit strange :angel:

DAK723
07-29-2016, 06:51 PM
I am still not sure how I feel about painting blue and pink snow. :) I didn't see those colors in the photo but without it, it would be a bit boring. Is it possible that the colors were there in RL, but it didn't "transfer" into the photo?

Yes, it is possible. Cameras are wonderful, but not 100% accurate. But even if they weren't there, it is certainly OK to add them to a painting.

And the temple... I think I didn't understand Jackie well. In the first pear painting, I had painted the cast shadow very violet despite the fact that the table was brown.
From what I understood from the Sally Strand's painting, cast shadows have the color of the surface, but a bit darker (because of the absence of light). Is it true?
I tried it with the roots but somehow without a touch of violet (even though they are brown) it didn't have any spark.
And I added quite a lot violet on the buildings because it was suddenly more interesting and I liked how the violet went well with the green moss.

So, maybe the point is violet in shadow is OK, but I need to keep something from the color of the surface as well?

The handling of shadows is one of the most challenging aspects of painting, in my opinion. They key to remember is - you can paint it any way you want as long as it "appears" in the viewer's mind as a shadow.

In his book on color, Emile Gruppe gives a quote from his father (also a successful landscape painter) regarding the impressionist movement. He called the impressionists "the purple painters" due to the amount of purple (or violet) they put into their shadows.

I have read many descriptions on painting shadows. I think they can be summed up as:

a) the shadow color is a darker, duller version of the color of the object that is in light.

b) it also includes color from any secondary light that "beams" into the shadow area. (Such as blue from blue skylight).

c) It can also included the color of reflected light from nearby objects or surfaces.

d) It can take on some hint of the color opposite of the color of the main light source. For example, if the main light source is yellow, then it is primarily the yellow light beams that are blocked by the object creating the shadow. If no (or significantly less) yellow light beams are entering the shadow, that leaves more blue and red light beams entering the shadow. Red and blue mixed equals violet. Viola!

Is D scientifically accurate? Beats me! A, B and C are more easily observable, in my opinion. But the main point that I want to make is that paintings do not have to be scientifically accurate, they just have to look "right" if you are trying for realism. It wasn't until the impressionists (and a few others) went out into nature and began painting, that shadows were painted with blues, violets and other more colorful alternatives that the artists observed. Before that, tonalist painters just made shadows dark, often mixing black with the local color. (I am generalizing, of course). That worked quite well for hundreds of years, and can still work today. So, there are many alternatives and as an artist you can make "artistic" decisions that blend scientific accuracy with artistic license. In my opinion, of course. Others, will disagree!

Don

DAK723
07-29-2016, 07:01 PM
Just to add one more thing about the difference between life and photo references: When we observe something (even if we don't paint it) our brains are filtering, exaggerating, simplifying what we see. That, plus the fact that cameras aren't perfect and may not pick up subtle color differences makes a difference. James Gurney discusses this in an old blog entry. I do believe that his brain did all the above (filtering, exaggerating, simplifying) to create the painting and why it is quite different than the photo he took of the same scene.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2013/10/arkansas-river-painting-vs-photo.html

Don

Nick7
07-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Thank you very much, Don. I hope that over the time, I will decide what I like best :)

Thanks again for your explanation.

Nick7
07-30-2016, 07:10 AM
Hi,
Kim posted a drawing that I really loved a while a go. I tried to copy it and got this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2016/1892815-CAM03946a.jpg

And now I wanted to do a pastel sketch. Like if I was on location and had just a few minutes. I like when great artists do something that looks like a 5 minute sketch and when I try it, I am not able to copy it no matter how many hours I keep trying :lol:
Something like these:

Bill Cone
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_SXS3PpD9a5U/TEG50XgTb_I/AAAAAAAAAjU/iVcY_nR7ayw/s1600/canyon3.sm.jpg

Judy Carducci
http://www.judithcarducci.com/plein_air/1409monhegan/topebblebeach.jpg

This is what I have so far:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2016/1892815-CAM03960a.jpg

I would appreciate any comments and tips how to improve it :)
Thank you

Still-trying
07-30-2016, 08:14 AM
Seems to me there was a guy JUST LIKE YOU, NICK, who said he was afraid to do landscape. Wow! Just wow!!! I love your snow scene. It looks like a surprise snow storm in the fall. (They just had a storm in Wyoming USA in July.) it is very well done. Congratulations!!! I'm so glad you tried. And what a success!!!

Don's comments were so helpful. This thread should get stars. I'm voting.

Your new road painting. The edges of distant road might get paler? The far trees blur their edge? You are VERY skilled with trees. All the trees are beautiful. Especially The near trees And the bark ..I can see that they are round. Lovely. I can't wait to see the next installment of this painting!

Nick7
07-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Oh, Jay... I will pass the praise on Ruthie :) I really wouldn't have painted it that way if I had the photo only. But it was a great learning experience. Thank you.

Thank you for the tip, I will try to do the changes. It would be great to take a small box of pastels out one day and sketch in plein air.

Still-trying
07-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Nick. Thanks for that Judy Carducci reference. I need to fix those trees on the buffalo painting. Nice reference.

kedwards
07-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Very nice, Nick! It is so cool to see a beatiful painting inspired by the drawing.

I love the examples you put up too. That tree trunk by Cone really intrigued me. I like how he altered the background to emphasize the light and shade sides of the tree. One thing I noticed that all your examples had in common is that they were on mid to dark toned paper. Maybe there is something in that which appeals to you. maybe that' might be your next experiment :)

Nick7
07-30-2016, 12:32 PM
Kim, that's interesting observation... LOL, I haven't actually noticed. So, you think I could draw it again on darker paper and see if it will make a difference...
Bill Cone uses two colors of Canson only.
Here are some more, I hope you don't mind :)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7IgQGfjjl70/TjvxzBKmPvI/AAAAAAAAAWc/c964YxYXz1s/s1600/Bill%2527s.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SXS3PpD9a5U/TEG50qKB8rI/AAAAAAAAAjc/snmah_QeEs0/s1600/canyon.1.sm.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GHa6TbZxSQc/U7JVOt0Rk4I/AAAAAAAABeA/0EpSA25x2uc/s1600/Dappled+Crossing.sm.png

He says he simply paints the light. I wish it was that simple :D

Nick7
07-30-2016, 12:37 PM
LOL, my drawing looks so boring next to the gorgeous sketches :D

How could I improve it and make it more interesting? What does it lack? Contrast, details, more layers?

About the papers: The two Canson colors were "Twilight and Tobacco...one for atmospheric views, and the other for creeks. That is my basic history with the use of those two colored papers over the last 18 years, though I have explored, and used, other colors."
Twilight is not produced any more so "Meanhwhile, I'm working with Moonstone, Dawn Pink, and Flannel Grey, among others. I don't feel, nor do I wish to be reliant on a single color or surface to produce work that satisfies me."
I thought I needed to correct my statement that he uses two colors only...

kedwards
07-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Oh my gosh, those are gorgeous! Don't be intimidated by them, be inspired! :)

It inspired me to have a go with my take. I hope you don't mind. I had some leftover canson brown anyway from a figure drawing that wasn't worth saving. Since the background serves to fill the mid tone, I started by blocking in the sky and the light on the ground. Then I added big blocks of shade, then a little local color. Here is the original drawing, my "finished" pastel, and a couple of pics along the way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2016/1977258-treessketch.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2016/1977258-trees4.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2016/1977258-trees1.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2016/1977258-trees3.JPG

Nick7
07-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Oh, lol, you are great, Kim. I thought it would be too cheeky to ask you to do that :)

Thank you for taking more pictures! Blocking lights and THEN painting the trees is unusual for me. I often paint just one layer of the sky, covering basically the whole upper part of the paper. But because of that I need to do it just lightly...
Funny, not only my drawings, but my paintings as well are not dark enough compared to yours.

Thanks again! :)

Still-trying
07-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Kim...amazing.

Nick: those pictures are inspirational. Thanks

There is so much good information in this thread, I gave it five stars. If we all vote, it will get recognition.

Nick7
07-30-2016, 02:30 PM
OK, this was great fun. Kim, thank you for suggesting different background. I tried to keep in mind that Bill Cone had said "I paint the light", so that was the main thing I focused on.

It's interesting to paint from imagination when I don't know how the scene was colorful and I need to use my memory about different places and times.

Thank you, Kim!

Any critical comments are welcomed :) I think it looked better without the sky, but what can I do now :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2016/1892815-CAM03961a.jpg

kedwards
07-31-2016, 08:47 AM
Nice ... And very bold! It definitely gives a different look when you start with the darker paper. I find it freeing to work from a drawing and not a photo, it break up a tendency to want to match color rather than do what works artistically

as to the sky, if you like it better without... Maybe you can use that to try something different with your next drawing

I think I might try something else. I use the paper as a mid tone but covered everything with big blocks of light and dark. Cone shows a lot of paper which is a very different style. I'll have to find some references from a hiking trip and play around.

DAK723
07-31-2016, 09:02 AM
Nick and Kim, Some great work and some great discussion! I find darker paper harder to work with - especially if you have larger light areas such as a sky. Then you really need to layer 3 or 4 light colors together to cover the dark, in my opinion. I find a middle tone easier - then you really can think of painting the light, the shadows (dark) and let the paper be the midtones.

Of course, it may depend on the subject, whether it is high or low key (generally light or dark) and your personal preference!

Don

Still-trying
07-31-2016, 09:43 AM
Nick...it looks good!

I'm loving the active discussions going on here. Great Spotlight!!

Nick7
07-31-2016, 01:43 PM
Thank you. It was nice to try this exercise. I like how Kim uses lots of darks in her pencil sketches and I want to learn that too.

Thank you, Don, for the Spotlight!
Jay, I have voted too.

Still-trying
07-31-2016, 03:24 PM
My granddaughter has given me a request. A sunset over the Charles River Bridge, in Prague, taken at sunset. It only includes a crucifix, and two statues, but as per request should include the Prague castle on the left and oh yes..this restaurant where we ate. I am speechless!!!

Nick7
07-31-2016, 04:14 PM
LOL! I bet it will be beautiful. Just like your night city!

kedwards
07-31-2016, 07:55 PM
I'm looking forward to sunset over Prague . Better hurry up, the month is almost up! ;)

DAK723
07-31-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm looking forward to sunset over Prague . Better hurry up, the month is almost up! ;)

No hurry...for next month's Spotlight is on...sunsets!

Don