PDA

View Full Version : First Reduction Linocut - Sunflower

MaryThompson
06-29-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm relatively new to linocuts. This is my first attempt at a reduction print. I'm not really happy with it: registration issues, sloppy cutting, etc... but I'm still learning and honing my carving skills.

My biggest gripe is that for some reason I cut all the texture out of the center of the sunflower even though I'd originally planned to leave some. Lost my mind, I guess.

Reference photo was of a sunflower in my backyard.

This one is 4" x 6". Akua inks on Stonehenge paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2016/214994-MThompson-RedLino_2640.jpg

Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Mary.

bridog
07-01-2016, 08:54 AM
a good effort
I understand the challenges with reduction prints so don't be too hard on yourself, the more you do the more is learned

winking cat press
07-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Mary... I love it!

I see 4 colors here... correct? Doing 4 color reduction prints is too nerve-wracking for me! The first color is easy, and the second is never too bad.... but by the time I get to 3 and above, I'm worried about botching one of my cuts, thus ruining the whole run. I do individual blocks nowadays..... just to prevent heart-attacks and /or much crying.

BUT I really like this particular piece. It's got that nice, bold look that makes lino-cuts so wonderful. AND I don't mean to be contrary to but I think think the mis-registration adds to the overall appeal of the work.

About the center texture: after you mentioned it, I agree that it should be there. But had you not said anything I might not have noticed. We are always our own worst critics, aren't we? All is not lost however. It would be very simple to cut a "center-texture" block, and print it in. Of course it would no longer be a pure reduction cut..... but in my view it's the finished image that is really important anyway, not how the intermediate steps were carried out.

Good work. I hope to see more of your prints.

Diane Cutter
07-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Nicely done...

Sonia
07-01-2016, 02:25 PM
Nice, bold and colourful, Mary.

Elkana
07-04-2016, 01:24 PM
I too find 'misregistration' rather the charm in linocuts, though I appreciate that developing the technical skill is one of the goals.

Saint Ragdoll
07-07-2016, 10:30 PM
I really like this! Very graphic and bold.
I am not brave enough to do a reduction print yet.
As for the texture in the center, it would look better with texture. And it would be easy to cut a block of either Lino or the soft faux Lino , carve some beautiful texture and add it to each of your prints. Who knows, you might find another use for that block carved with texture in another print , a sunflower or something else.
Teresa
Saint Ragdoll

BeLing
07-09-2016, 02:43 PM
Great!

I like the "un-registered" effect --- the petals seem to be flickering in a breeze.