PDA

View Full Version : A Walk in the Woods

Willowshades
06-26-2016, 06:41 PM
This was painted with a gradient background I created. I did all work in Corel Painter this time. The gradient was created by using layers on top of layers using Difference. I then used more layer of difference and foliage brush to get the texture I wanted and then more layers of mulitply and screen for highlight and shadow. And so on.

laika
06-26-2016, 10:40 PM
Nice work! I've gotta start experimenting more with layers in the Gimp to see if I can replicate some of those background effects like yours. Beyond Normal mode in layers, the effects of Multiply mode are really all I'm familiar with. I use the Scatter and Gaussian Blur filters quite a bit when I want to throw something out of focus, but you're getting great, believable depth in your backgrounds with what you're doing with layers. Good Stuff!

Willowshades
06-26-2016, 11:06 PM
Thanks.

If you use difference you get the opposite colors. To get the texture I have to do two layers back to back with difference to get it back to what the colors were in the beginning, but with added texture. The mulitply and the soft blending brush with a lower opacity level is a great way of adding shadows and the same with screen to add highlights. I love playing around and experimenting. Paintstorm allows you to paint with difference instead of using layers. You can also use them with layers.

Willowshades
06-26-2016, 11:14 PM
This is what the gradient background I created looks like after I played around with it using the Pinch brush in FX. This is before I started adding texture and shading and highlight. I used this to paint A Walk in the Woods.

Monastic Bat
06-27-2016, 10:00 AM
Very nice painting. Your process is much more complex than mine but I like what you end up with.:thumbsup:
Regards,
Greg.

LavenderFrost
06-27-2016, 10:22 AM
You created a very pretty scene.

Willowshades
06-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Thanks, I call this Gradient art painting. The painting depends on what the gradient shows me. I never know what the painting will be.

b'anna
06-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Very Nice! Thanks for the walk through. I always love hearing about how others get where they are going.
Barb

Lucy-Foote
07-02-2016, 11:15 PM
I like this very much and how you created it. Fun to be creative like this. Layers I just have a mental block. Have tried but ,my brain for some reason goes hay wire, and I mess up, and given up on that. So I do what is easiest for me. One layer.

Lucy

Willowshades
07-04-2016, 12:22 PM
In Paintstorm you don't need to use layers. Choose the gradient tool and at the top the tools for gradient will give you a choice of different filters? Most of the time I choose Difference. Just flick the pen on the canvas and keep flicking. Change colors and play around with it. I also flip horizontal and vertically.